Answered

Arc keeps disconnecting from Samsung TV

• 1 December 2022
  • 51 replies

Show first post

51 replies

My sound control using the Samsung remote or Uverse remote one day stopped controlling the volume.  After trying various recommendations to fix the problem, I settled on the multiple suggestions to unplug the TV, Sonos Arc and Uverse receiver/recorder.

After doing that and plugging all back in for power…. all Remotes allowed the sound control again.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same problem.  Samsung QN90AA and Sonos Arc.  Periodic no audio from TV.  So crappy.

At first I tried to unplug then replug HDMI, but then I got concerned about the frequent replugging and possibly damaging the connector.  So now I pull power to the Arc, and I wait, then replug and it comes back.  Still, it is a pain in the butt.  

My family thinks I suck because my super expensive sound system does not work correctly.  The Arc sounds great, but this problem sucks.  The old Playbar I replaced did not have this problem.  

Please fix.  

Userlevel 7

Same problem.  Samsung QN90AA and Sonos Arc.  Periodic no audio from TV.  So crappy.

At first I tried to unplug then replug HDMI, but then I got concerned about the frequent replugging and possibly damaging the connector.  So now I pull power to the Arc, and I wait, then replug and it comes back.  Still, it is a pain in the butt.  

My family thinks I suck because my super expensive sound system does not work correctly.  The Arc sounds great, but this problem sucks.  The old Playbar I replaced did not have this problem.  

Please fix.  

Set the TV to these settings:

HDMI-eARC Mode: Auto (set it to OFF if only using the TV’s native apps)

Digital Output Audio Format: Pass-Through

Userlevel 1
Badge

Please fix.  

Set the TV to these settings:

HDMI-eARC Mode: Auto (set it to OFF if only using the TV’s native apps)

Digital Output Audio Format: Pass-Through

@GuitarSuperstar : 

Done.  The only change was to set the Digital Autio Output to: Pass-Through.  HDMI-eARC was already set to Auto.

I will comment back in a week if there is no loss of sound.  

-PT

Same issue here. Problem is, the system worked great for about 5 months. Then for some reason all went to hell. The only thing I did is get a a Spotify account and started using it on the smart TV App. Since then, I have to reboot the  whole system every day. 

I have a Samsung QN55S95BAFXCA.  Sonos Beam Gen 2 and Mini Sub / OS: S2

And yes, I have the same issue with my family thinking I’m an idiot buying this expensive setup that never works when you need it.

Let me know if you have any success. I still need to call Sonos for troubleshooting.

Slightly similar experience here, just got my Arc two weeks ago and has it hooked up to a Samsung The Frame 75, 2022. What happens in my case is that normally everything works as expected but every once in a while, switching between sources or jumping between TV channels, I will loose audio. 

The easy fix I have is to switch channel or jump back to the previous source and try again, then it normally works but it is still very annoying. Came from a Playbar connected optical and never had these issues... wierd... 

Have tried most settings but have not found a fix yet..

This ridiculous! we pay large amounts of money and Sonos and Samsung Support just point fingers at each other and the consumer ends up trying to resolve the issues and holding the bag full of problems with no real solutions from these tech giants who could care less, now that they have our money.  I’ve had similar issues with my new ARC and it will be going back if solutions are not brought forth by Sonos quickly!  The best solution I’ve found thus far has been from Guitar Superstar.  Well done friend! This has worked tonight, will see how long it stay stable! I hope, hope, hope! This seems to be a big problem with Samsung and Sonos not working with each other.  LG doesn’t appear to have as many issue that I’ve seen thus far.

Concur with ‘Lyricist I’ that ‘Guitar Superstar’ has best solution if not genius.

For me
(1) Unplug TV power from wall outlet
(2) Unplug HDMI cables from back of TV although prob just cable from Sonos would work
(3) Wait 10 minutes
(4) Plug TV back into wall outlet
(5) Turn on TV and check TV menu system settings that HDMI-CEC is turned on 
(6) Plug the HDMI cable from the Sonos to the back of the TV in port HDMI ARC
(7) Gloat to everyone it’s fixed (the soundbar started working normally for me)

In my case the TV menu calls CEC something like AnyNet+ (assumedly just to complicate the issue) and the HDMI port is called something like HDMI IN 2 ARC (apparently just to be confusing with CEC) (suspect that in both cases terminology used is likely only for the engineers bragging benefit, technically) 
The TV is a 2013 Samsung 60” Smart UN60F7100AF (nickname !*P.O.S*!)
The soundbar is a 2023 Sonos ARC model S19 (nickname Intimidator)

My guess is that some buffer on the Samsung is transiently naughty about sharing its toys. The problem is it takes about 6 months for it to give up working and stop taking advice from the soundbar.  Which is sufficient time to successfully forget how it was fixed last time. Contributing to the problem is the lack of any software or hardware fix and lack of logical manufacturing (Samsung) product support

The power cycle procedure above, from experience, will save hours of defeat going through each individual TV and smart phone app (Pixel 3a) menu option.  Additionally it will save putting new batteries in the remote, pairing remotes, in DirecTV talk ‘programming’ (audio) the remote and/or pairing of any kind the (all) remote controls, replacing the HDMI cables with the latest and greatest $version$, and buying needless CEC pin-less adapters. 

Most importantly it will alleviate symptoms of high blood pressure, foul language, and forsaking ever again to buy any offending manufacturers involved products.  It is preferable, if so able, to take a picture of where the port on the back of the TV is before-hand as afterwards the HDMI cable surely WILL fall somewhere to oblivion, all while on a 6 foot ladder, precariously balancing various excuses for light sources painfully in your stocking feet, and wiggling your over-sized hand far enough behind the wall mounted TV to pry out (unplug) what you might think the cable is.

Also of note the whole experience can be dramatically enhanced by putting a very large Christmas tree at or near where the ladder is strategically placed to access the back of the TV.  Advancing age and any health issues can also greatly contribute to (the lack of) enjoying the whole experience.

Repeated occurrences of the failure between the tv and soundbar to communicate should probably (A) become easier to fix with repetition (B) eventually go away when eventually replacing the devices entirely (C) or become a mute point with passing of age

Thank you for your support as they say

(side note - the use of the term ‘Smart’ to describe either a tv or phone should be taken jokingly and not in any way be taken seriously)

Nice write up! On point for sure! The real sad part about this is we should not even have to spend all of this time writing about or figure out what the manufacturer’s fail to do, but should be enjoying the products! But nooooooo! Instead they gloat about how great their products are filled with lies. This is a “Sonos” web site and I doubt anyone from Sonos ever gets involved!  

Badge

I do not understand why SONOS will not address this problem. Better yet fix it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It may not even be a Sonos issue, the best they can do is work to find/fix it with Samsung who may not be all that motivated to fix something only impacting so few of their sales.

It certainly seems like if it were a Sonos issue, it would be impacting more TVs than just Samsung. I’d think you’d see complaints across the board, from every manufacturer of TVs that use CEC as a communication standard. 

Started having this problem in the last 90 days with the Samsung QN85QN90AAFXZA and a Sonos Arc.  Have followed the recommended fix several times.  It works for a while and then starts up again.  Real pain in the ass.  Eventually the sound just stops working and I have to reset.  It also messes up the sub.

Sonos has in my experience has been awful reacting to getting bugs fixed.  I own a lot of Sonos and have installed professionally.  They have had a number of issues that they took their time fixing.  The new app fixed a lot of problems.  Expediency addressing technical, engineering and software issues has been lacking in my experience.  For a $900 sound bar this should not be happening.

Especially hard for Sonos to ‘fix’ a Samsung bug. Sonos has occasionally made minor missteps, but since this bug doesn’t occur on any other manufacturers TVs, it makes it pretty clear which side the bug lies on. 

Especially hard for Sonos to ‘fix’ a Samsung bug. Sonos has occasionally made minor missteps, but since this bug doesn’t occur on any other manufacturers TVs, it makes it pretty clear which side the bug lies on. 

Also, looking back through the thread, at least one user fixed the issue by bypassing their Samsung TV, using the HDFury Arcana audio extractor, so that points to it being a TV pass-through issue. 

You only have to search online to see the Soundbar issues that Samsung have had with some models of their TV’s. Samsung tried a round of firmware fixes last September and some users are still complaining about some TV models - a fix for many complainants has been to switch off eARC and to just use the Soundbar with an ARC connection only instead, but that of course means no support for Multi-Channel LPCM audio / Dolby MAT (Atmos audio) .. so it means changing the Apple TV audio out, by setting the ‘Audio Format/Change Format’ to ‘ON’ and using DD+ (compressed audio) instead, at least until a fix is put in place. 

Seems ‘highly likely’ it’s a Samsung issue because other brands of Soundbar seem to be affected by this too.

I have the same problem.  I found a thread on reddit which suggested that I hard reset the Samsung Frame 55 TV (2022) and then run the TV connection wizard on the Sonos app.  I did this, and same deal - the TV won’t detect the Sonos Arc sound bar; it displays a screen saying “trying to identify device” and asks me to press down if it’s a PC.

I am using a high-quality HDMI cable but not the original because of how far I had to fish it through the wall to connect to the Samsung OneConnect box.  I don’t think it’s the cable, because this worked flawlessly since I installed the TV originally (over a year ago) and only stopped connecting within the last 2 months.  I think this is most likely a software issue caused by an update?

Any help would be appreciated.  Super annoying when it worked perfectly since installing and now I have these issues when I changed *nothing*.

I have the same problem.  I found a thread on reddit which suggested that I hard reset the Samsung Frame 55 TV (2022) and then run the TV connection wizard on the Sonos app.  I did this, and same deal - the TV won’t detect the Sonos Arc sound bar; it displays a screen saying “trying to identify device” and asks me to press down if it’s a PC.

I am using a high-quality HDMI cable but not the original because of how far I had to fish it through the wall to connect to the Samsung OneConnect box.  I don’t think it’s the cable, because this worked flawlessly since I installed the TV originally (over a year ago) and only stopped connecting within the last 2 months.  I think this is most likely a software issue caused by an update?

Any help would be appreciated.  Super annoying when it worked perfectly since installing and now I have these issues when I changed *nothing*.

Have you tried the suggestions in the thread, such as using HDMI-ARC in the TV sound-out settings, rather than HDMI-eARC, to see if that maybe resolves your dropout issue?

Have you tried the suggestions in the thread, such as using HDMI-ARC in the TV sound-out settings, rather than HDMI-eARC, to see if that maybe resolves your dropout issue?

Hi Ken,

The settings I have available are HDMI-eARC “auto” or “off”.  I have tried both with the same result (not recognizing Arc sound bar).  I have even tried connecting the HDMI cable to a regular HDMI port on the OneConnect box (instead of the eARC port).  Again, same result.  It isn’t a dropout issue any more - it simply won’t connect.  It started as a dropout issue which I resolved a few times by powering everything down and disconnecting, then reconnecting, but now it simply will not recognize the sound bar at all.

@Hembling,

I would perhaps power everything off for a minute or two and remove the HDMI cable from the TV Arc/eARC port and when all have powered back on, ensure AnyNet+ is enabled in the TV settings, then run the “TV Setup” in the Sonos App/Arc room settings and reconnect the HDMI cable to the TV Arc port when prompted to do that in the App and see if that resolves the issue.

@Hembling,

I would perhaps power everything off for a minute or two and remove the HDMI cable from the TV Arc/eARC port and when all have powered back on, ensure AnyNet+ is enabled in the TV settings, then run the “TV Setup” in the Sonos App/Arc room settings and reconnect the HDMI cable to the TV Arc port when prompted to do that in the App and see if that resolves the issue.

Hi Ken - I appreciate your continued help. Yup did that already… AnyNet+ is enabled and I even tried enabling the “input signal plus” on HDMI port 3 (the eARC port) to see if that would help. It didn’t.

@Hembling,

Hi Ken - I appreciate your continued help. Yup did that already… AnyNet+ is enabled and I even tried enabling the “input signal plus” on HDMI port 3 (the eARC port) to see if that would help. It didn’t.

So do you think it might be the Samsung TV, or the Sonos Arc, that’s the issue here? Are you in a position where you can perhaps ’easily’ try the Sonos Arc with another TV in your Home?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same problem with Arc and Samsung QLED Q90AA 85” TV.  I use a Roku ultra as the source for the TV.  All new high quality HDMI cables from Roku to Samsung, and Samsung to Sonos Arc.  Sonos Arc is connected through eArc.  

We lose audio on the Sonos Arc periodically without warning.  We were watching a series of clips in a row on YouTube tonight, and after a full clip, suddenly the next clip had no audio.  Cannot be a different encoding type, since all the clips were from Saturday Night Live, and would have been encoded the same.  

I unplugged and replugged the HDMI cable from Sonos Arc and then turned the TV off then on, and audio came back.  The no audio problem happens periodically without explanation.  This is maddening.  My wife thinks I suck for paying for this expensive sound system.  I submitted a diagnostic.

Please help.  

Same problem with Arc and Samsung QLED Q90AA 85” TV.  I use a Roku ultra as the source for the TV.  All new high quality HDMI cables from Roku to Samsung, and Samsung to Sonos Arc.  Sonos Arc is connected through eArc.  

We lose audio on the Sonos Arc periodically without warning.  We were watching a series of clips in a row on YouTube tonight, and after a full clip, suddenly the next clip had no audio.  Cannot be a different encoding type, since all the clips were from Saturday Night Live, and would have been encoded the same.  

I unplugged and replugged the HDMI cable from Sonos Arc and then turned the TV off then on, and audio came back.  The no audio problem happens periodically without explanation.  This is maddening.  My wife thinks I suck for paying for this expensive sound system.  I submitted a diagnostic.

Please help.  

You likely need to speak to Sonos, or Samsung customer support… that’s if you haven’t done those things already, as this is mainly just a Sonos ‘user’ community with Sonos moderators, that may not always see every thread/post .. I can’t help with Samsung CS, but see below to perhaps speak to Sonos… 

It’s usually best reproduce the reported issue and to immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter. In some cases a video recording of the issue may sometimes assist too.

Hope that assists…

Same problem, started at September, while it was working fine for 9 months, now it goes away when i unplug everything, but sooner or later it comes back… QN90B is the TV model

What model Samsung TV do you have?

Try this:

Disconnect everything from your TV including the Arc and unplug the TV and Arc from power for a couple of minutes. Plug them both back in but keep them disconnected. Make sure Anynet+ is enabled in the TV settings. Run TV Setup under the Arc’s settings in the Sonos app and follow the app instructions. When the app instructs you to, connect the Arc to the TV’s HDMI ARC port using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable. After the Arc has been successfully connected to the TV, connect the Nvidia Shield to the TV.

This worked. Had tried everything else including resetting the TV. I ran the TV set up, but didn’t power cycle!