Answered

Which Sonos products is best for ViewSonic X10-4K.

• 6 September 2020
  • 12 replies

I’m looking for advice on which Sonos product I could use with ViewSonic X10-4K - a wireless connection doesn’t seem to work, so I believe I’d rely on cable connection? I’d appreciate any help, thank you.

icon

Best answer by controlav 7 September 2020, 16:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @jlayes.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to set your expectation, connecting Sonos to a projector is not a recommended set up. Sonos home theater speakers such as the Sonos Playbar, Playbase, Beam, Amp, and Arc were designed to be connected directly to a TV. However, We can always reach out to other members of the community to see if they have any opinion on this. There might be other members of the community who has the same set up as you have that might be working.

Let us try to reach out to other members of the community and check their recommendations and feedback. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

thanks @Paul A - I’ll wait for any replies.

We can always reach out to other members of the community to see if they have any opinion on this. There might be other members of the community who has the same set up as you have that might be working.

Let us try to reach out to other members of the community and check their recommendations and feedback. We are always here to help out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That PJ has s/pdif output, so any of the Sonos Home Theater products will work. It lacks HDMI-ARC so not worth getting a Sonos Arc.

Hi @Paul A 

This article mentions the following:

“The Beam comes with a adapter for use with optical, and your projector has an optical output. So you should be able to connect the 2 sources to the projector with the projector optical connected to the Beam.”

So, I guess that would work?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This article mentions the following:

“The Beam comes with a adapter for use with optical, and your projector has an optical output. So you should be able to connect the 2 sources to the projector with the projector optical connected to the Beam.”

So, I guess that would work?

Exactly.

Hi may I ask how this worked out for you in the end? I'm also looking at this projector because it has optical out, but can't find any mention of if it supports Dolby digital.

@brunolondinese above setup works perfectly. I’ve connected the X10 to Beam using HMDI cable and the Sonos supplied HDMI-optical (S/PDIF) connector. You get true 5.1 surround if you have the Beam meshed with other Sonos units like rear Play:1s for rear L/R. 

It is also possible to connect a streaming device like the Apple TV to the Beam - the latest ATV 4K doesn’t however have an S/PDIF out and Airplay2 is only stereo so you’d lose the 5.1. There are apparently ways you can use an HDMI audio splitter to the Beam but I’ve yet to experiment. 

@lowcarbon thank you for sharing. I have the same VS X10 and with a optical audio adaptor to connect to the beam. I’m using Sonos app to set up TV under Beam. PJ is on with optical output and use Apple TV 4K signal input into the X10. However, I can’t get it through set up beam recognized X10 as TV…..any suggestion? Thank you 😊 

Hi all,

I  looking at the same setup Viewsonic X10 4K with Sonos Arc, Sub gen 3 and two One/One SL as rear speakers.

I’m in the process of building a home theatre room, so any input on the kind of cables I’d need will be greatly appreciated.

I though we can directly hook X10 to arc but HDMI cable, is that not the case ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,

I  looking at the same setup Viewsonic X10 4K with Sonos Arc, Sub gen 3 and two One/One SL as rear speakers.

I’m in the process of building a home theatre room, so any input on the kind of cables I’d need will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

No I am afraid that is not the case. The Arc needs an HDMI-ARC signal, not an HDMI signal, and generally only TVs have HDMI-ARC connections, and projectors don't.

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

No I am afraid that is not the case. The Arc needs an HDMI-ARC signal, not an HDMI signal, and generally only TVs have HDMI-ARC connections, and projectors don't.

Can I perhaps use Beam with Sub gen3 and two Ones as rears...?

You can, but not by an HDMI connection from projector to the Beam. As with the Arc, an optical cable plus the adapter will work.

I was answering only your final question.