Answered

Sonos Beam Not Recognized by Samsung Tv

• 6 October 2023
  • 47 replies

good morning,

Good morning,

I have a Samsung neo QLED TV, with a Sonos Beam connected through the E arc port, however frequently when I turn the TV on the TV has reverted to TV speaker and it is not possible to play any sound through the Sonos beam despite going on the device connection which shows the Sonos background.  the only way to reconnect is to completely disconnect everything and reconnect, which is extremely frustrating as the beam is on the wall with all the cables hidden in the wall, which means taking the TV off when it happens. 

any ideas? 

icon

Best answer by buzz 6 October 2023, 11:39

View original

47 replies

Reboot the TV using the circuit breaker. Keep power OFF for a least two minutes. It would be best if the HDMI cable between the TV and BEAM is discontinued when power is reapplied. The TV and BEAM will rediscover each other when the HDMI cable is reconnected. 

Are there any other HDMI connections to the TV? Probability of success with the above reboot sequence is higher if only the BEAM is connected during discovery. Unfortunately, this might require dismounting if you cannot keep these units powered down during the reboot.

Is the TV’s Anynet enabled?

Yeah I’ve followed all those procedures and it gets back connected only to disconnect maybe 24 hours later and then the process needs repeating. When if happens, the Sonos is selectable from the connected devices but it’s not available as a sound output, it just shows the Sonos backgrounds

There is a sky box connected via HDMI Too. That often has issues connecting to the tv too which needs power removing then re adding. 

Yes anytime+ is on, but without it on the beam doesn’t work at all on the tv. (FYI the beam is connected on the Sonos app and has been successfull with its CEC connection. 

You may be having a CEC spat. Is it practical for you to power down the SKY box and play a TV App?

I’m not a SKY user. If the SKY box is causing issues, a CEC isolator for the SKY box is appropriate.

Badge

I don’t have the same tv but I did have this same issue with my Samsung and beam. I used the tv remote source button to select the beam. Once the beam was selected I went into the sound settings. It showed it was set to tv speakers. I selected the beam from there. It was the only place that the beam appeared as selectable for a source. Haven’t had an issue sining doing that. Previously solutions would be unplugging the tv power source for a few secs but this has fixed the issue for me. 

Hey

You are experiencing exactly the same issue as me. I got told about two weeks ago by Sonos support that they were aware of this bug and that a fix would be implemented… which I think was meant to be in the latest software update.

Trouble is, I am still having these infuriating issues. Getting nowhere with support now. I can get it to work beautifully but it always fails when the TV has been off for a while. Always reverts back to the TV speaker and not recognising the Beam until I turn power off to that and then back on again.

Have you managed to find a solution that works for you or are we still in the same boat? I am losing my s*** over this constantly happening after spending upwards of £1000 on setting up my home theatre for this to now keep happening. I genuinely don't know whether to laugh or cry at this point. 

One alternative I did think about doing though, not sure if it would work, is to have the beam on a smart plug so that I can turn it on and off by using my phone or voice service to trigger it to work with the tv but it's just a silly idea right? It should just WORK! It always used to! 

No luck for me it’s still kicking it off. But I’m also going to try a new hdmi for the sky box as that doesn’t work either which is kicking off the CEC.  It’s rather annoying tbh as it’s all wall mounted with hidden cables and plugs so when it fails it’s off with the sockets on the circuit board. 

I thought about the smart plug thing too but with it been an issue with the sky too I’m wondering which of the three devices (tv sky or beam) is creating the issue. 

If you don't mind me asking… have these issues with the sky box happened recently too? I'm just curious as to whether Samsung have done some sort of update that keeps pushing out Sonos or Anynet connections in general. 

Only reason I ask is because I am thinking maybe my hdmi connection to my pc affects it as I do find it a struggle to keep getting tv to recognise that at times too.  

The only thing is with that though is that I once just had the beam connected to the tv, nothing else… left it overnight and had the same issue with it losing connection so genuinely I have no idea at this point. 

Yeah my sky box just doesn’t get recognised at all sometimes. I believe it’s an issue maybe with the tv now but not so sure. 

Either way I'm guessing it's a new issue so whether it's Samsung or Sonos, hopefully it can be patched or worked out in due course. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

good morning,

Good morning,

I have a Samsung neo QLED TV, with a Sonos Beam connected through the E arc port, however frequently when I turn the TV on the TV has reverted to TV speaker and it is not possible to play any sound through the Sonos beam despite going on the device connection which shows the Sonos background.  the only way to reconnect is to completely disconnect everything and reconnect, which is extremely frustrating as the beam is on the wall with all the cables hidden in the wall, which means taking the TV off when it happens. 

any ideas? 

welcome to the club which grew day by day.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/15-8-update-is-a-nightmare-6885678

Badge

For me this suddenly started after a long time with no issues, none of my devices had a firmware update at that time (can’t say about the Beam as Sonos has auto update.) and I hadn’t updated the TV’s firmware either, it just decided to stop working, the Sonos just wasn’t detected by the TV and the Sonos failed sometimes to turn on the TV by voice control (Sonos own). Sometimes the sound control can turn on the TV without the TV detects the Sonos.

I have updated firmware on the devices that had updates, this hasn’t changed anything.

My solution as a Philips Hue owner was to get a Smart Plug, I plugged the Sonos Beam 2 to it, so now I can restart the Beam without the need to crawl down and find the right cable and disconnect/connect it again. This is far from the optimal solution, but it works for me. I just wish there was the ability to restart the speaker directly in the Sonos app.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am also having these same exact issues with my beam! Every couple of days my beam disconnects and the only way I have found to get it back is to unplug/turn it off and plug it back in. Sonos please get this fixed!!!!!

Yup, issue still happening here. 

SO annoying!! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I wish someone from Sonos support would review this and other threads regarding this issue and provide an update. Clearly many people are having these issues and certainly none of us like to crawl behind our TVs to disconnect and reconnect our Sonos products!

I wish someone from Sonos support would review this and other threads regarding this issue and provide an update. Clearly many people are having these issues and certainly none of us like to crawl behind our TVs to disconnect and reconnect our Sonos products!

Like a poster said above, the solution I have found for this is using a smart plug… it’s OK at resetting the beam each time the issue happens. Although, the issue SHOULDN’T be happening at all but hey ho. It’s a bit of a workaround for now if you can do it this way.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Still happening and still so very annoying! At least there are workarounds.

My beam stays connected longer than the sky box does though 🤯

Userlevel 1
Badge

@JobieOneCojone I am sure this has been quite frustrating!  I wish someone from Sonos would review and respond to this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

With a smart plug, the Beam will reboot, not reset (luckily).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

We went with a dumb-plug / switch and it is far easier on the back and knees than getting to the power plug behind the TV cabinet.

$10 -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFMNJLH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @JobieOneCojone et al

There was a similar issue recently whereby Beams would have no audio when playing TV audio coming from certain Samsung TVs, which has now been resolved. As your TV and Beam seem to be losing the connection between them, however, this seems like a different issue. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

I had the same issue with my Beam reverting to the TV Speaker after being off for awhile. I have an OLED S95B Samsung TV. The only way it would get back to the Beam was to turn the power off on the Beam, turn it back on again, and the TV would then pick up the Beam when turned on.

I spoke with Sonos Customer Support and had the audio set to PCM. That did the trick. You can get there on my TV by going to Settings > Input Device Manager > Sound > Expert Settings > Digital Output Format and select PCM (from a list that included Auto and Pass-Through).

Not only does this keep the Sonos Beam always connected (via HDMI e-Arc), the sound also connects with my Play 1 satellite speakers and the Mini Sub to which the Beam is linked for my living room Sonos audio setup. The bonus is also that by using the Spotify App on the my Roku controlled screen, my music playlist plays through all my speakers with a screen on the TV that displays the album cover of the song and other information about the artist. Very cool!

And the TV sound is awesome too via the linked Sonos speakers.

Hope that helps!

Was this recently with the latest software? Will give it a try! Thanks :)

Yes - within the last week, with all software updated. Hope it works for you.

That worked great for the last few weeks until this week where it’s disconnecting every few hours. 

anyone else the same?