Answered

Sonos Arc Muddy/Bottoming out Bass

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1406 replies

Userlevel 1

They have already replied stating they are working on a software update.  

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-arc-muddy-bottoming-out-bass-6842379?postid=16438889#post16438889

Hi,

We will see but since this affects a lot of users that do not have the subwoofer. I’m pretty sure most users without a sub if they test the soundbar thoroughly , it would be nice to get an update and statement from the company. It is just strange that this just gets discovered now. I have heard recordings of people with the same issue and it’s the exact same sound issue with low frequencies.

As I stated before, from a product at this price and the reputation of the company it is disappointing for first time buyers like myself.

Im hoping that the issue will be fixed because I still think the soundstage and height of the bar are amazing and I was initially impressed.

It's possible that the most recent update caused an issue.  I can't speak for everyone but I had an update immediately after setting up the soundbar.  Perhaps reviewers didn't, perhaps everyone didn't, perhaps everyone has different expectations or ears.

I was one of the first to report this on launch day.  Trust me in disappointed but there are many times on a new product launch where some bugs happen.  The fact they've replied already and are working on it is a great thing.  Not all companies would be so quick to act.

I'm hopeful in a day or two we will see an update and hear the Arc in all of its glory and have the same reactions that the early reviewers had.  

I’m hopeful as well !

I don’t mean to be rude to the engineers and the people behind the product. I really do hope for the best. I’m just a little disappointed right now.

Hopefully we get a bit of an explanation as to what is causing the problem and what is being done to fix it. Just so we are informed as customers :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-arc-muddy-bottoming-out-bass-6842379?postid=16438889#post16438889

Hi,

We will see but since this affects a lot of users that do not have the subwoofer. I’m pretty sure most users without a sub if they test the soundbar thoroughly , it would be nice to get an update and statement from the company. It is just strange that this just gets discovered now. I have heard recordings of people with the same issue and it’s the exact same sound issue with low frequencies.

As I stated before, from a product at this price and the reputation of the company it is disappointing for first time buyers like myself.

Im hoping that the issue will be fixed because I still think the soundstage and height of the bar are amazing and I was initially impressed.

It's possible that the most recent update caused an issue.  I can't speak for everyone but I had an update immediately after setting up the soundbar.  Perhaps reviewers didn't, perhaps everyone didn't, perhaps everyone has different expectations or ears.

I was one of the first to report this on launch day.  Trust me in disappointed but there are many times on a new product launch where some bugs happen.  The fact they've replied already and are working on it is a great thing.  Not all companies would be so quick to act.

I'm hopeful in a day or two we will see an update and hear the Arc in all of its glory and have the same reactions that the early reviewers had.  

I’m hopeful as well !

I don’t mean to be rude to the engineers and the people behind the product. I really do hope for the best. I’m just a little disappointed right now.

Hopefully we get a bit of an explanation as to what is causing the problem and what is being done to fix it. Just so we are informed as customers :)

Very unlikely that they will give any technical explanation (no company does that tbh). They will just issue the update and say “the update improves the bass response of the Sonos Arc”.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Hi there, I just got my Arc 20 minutes ago in Melbourne - Australia, sadly I have to report the same issue, I knew the song to try, Daft Punk - Loose Yourself To Dance. I had it at 50% volume with the Bass at +5 and the rumble it makes is not a normal sound, I would describe it as if one of the driver received to much gain or something, it actually crackles (not sure if this word make sense).

I also have a Beam to compare, the Arc sound much better in every other regard but even if I increase the Bass to +10 on the Beam does not do what is happening with the Arc.

• What are you watching or playing that you’re hearing this on? I just tried this with Music for now with Daft Punk - Loose Yourself To Dance

• What volume do you experience this at? 50% and Bass EQ increased to +5

• Is your Arc wall-mounted? No

• Are you using Trueplay, and does it go away if you turn Trueplay off? I am using Trueplay, it is less discernible without it but if I increase the Bass EQ it is still there

• Do you have the Bass EQ setting flat or adjusted in some way? Adjusted

• If it’s possible, can you share an image of the setup? Tv and Arc are on a regular TV Bench, not wall mounted

• Please submit a diagnostic from the system with it happening and let us know the number. 1386646161

Cheers

That’s one of my go to test songs too.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi,

I’m hopeful as well !

Very unlikely that they will give any technical explanation (no company does that tbh). They will just issue the update and say “the update improves the bass response of the Sonos Arc”.

Not going to cut it if “improves the bass response” really means filtering out the bad frequencies causing the problem. Especially since some users seem to not have the issue. If they retard a certain population of arcs, that has class action written all over it. I paid for the normal arc, not the diet version. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hi,

I’m hopeful as well !

Not going to cut it if “improves the bass response” really means filtering out the bad frequencies causing the problem. Especially since some users seem to not have the issue. If they retard a certain population of arcs, that has class action written all over it. I paid for the normal arc, not the diet version. 

I know. Let’s just give them some time (It’s good that they have acknowledged the issue super quick). I am getting my Arc today and will report back after testing all the songs listed here. We have 100 days return window in the US which gives me peace. 

As I mentioned earlier in this topic, I had an experience with a product that had been reliable for years, but suddenly developed issues with newly produced units. After some detective work by the manufacturer the issue was traced to a single individual on the production line not following long established procedures. Everything he touched over a narrow range of date codes broke. It has now been decades since this issue and product manufactured before and after this period is still working, but all of the relevant units had to be serviced.

By now I’m sure that SONOS has one or more defective units in house and is investigating. This is a complex product and the issue could be caused by defective software normally installed only at the factory, not part of a user update, or a bad component that will need to be replaced.

Don’t be concerned by the need for an immediate software update. At this point it is standard procedure by all manufacturers that new, out of the box hardware will need a software update because the unit had been manufactured some weeks prior to opening the box and enhanced features and bug fixes were released after the unit was boxed.

Everyone should submit a diagnostic confirmation number with their (good or bad) report. This will allow SONOS to learn the true scope of the issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Yes I believe Sonos is a very responsive company and the problem would be resolved very soon! 😊😊

Sonos is part of my everyday live for years so no matter what, I'm with them!!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yes I believe Sonos is a very responsive company and the problem would be resolved very soon! 😊😊

Sonos is a company, not a family member...that’s like saying you have been going to the same strip club every night and now are loyal to a dancer...YOU are paying HER, not the other way around. Sonos should be loyal to you. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

After some detective work by the manufacturer the issue was traced to a single individual on the production line not following long established procedures. Everything he touched over a narrow range of date codes broke. 

I wonder if this individual is still working, and if so where? :wink:

Userlevel 1

Sonos is a company, not a family member...that’s like saying you have been going to the same strip club every night and now are loyal to a dancer...YOU are paying HER, not the other way around. Sonos should be loyal to you. 

Lol Im crying 😭😂

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Sorry for my poor English as it's not my mother language... What I mean is so far I'm happy with Sonos products and I have been using them every day since 6 years ago... therefore I will still support them even the bass issue happened, because I do believe this will be resolved very soon.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

As far as I am concerned- If they don't deliver after taking $799 for a soundbar, I live them in the trash. As a consumer, they are obligated to me. I am not!

Userlevel 1

Sorry for my poor English as it's not my mother language... What I mean is so far I'm happy with Sonos products and I have been using them every day since 6 years ago... therefore I will still support them even the bass issue happened, because I do believe this will be resolved very soon.

But that’s not at all my concern. Ofcourse they will fix it in some way.

The problem is they are calling it a software issue - which just seems impossible for severeal reasons.

1: How has NONE of Sonos employes noticed this before it being reported? (They have a different batch then the ones just shipped ofcourse)

2: We are on the same software, how come this only affects some units?

And if that’s the case, and they wanna fix a hardware-issue with a software update, that means they are putting a bandage on something broken to make it work. I don’t want it to work if I compromise. Why would I?

I can’t buy a car, discover that it only has 3 wheels, and then accept that they just ship me a fat lady to have sitting in the back-seat as counterbalance to keep it running.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

But that’s not at all my concern. Ofcourse they will fix it in some way.

The problem is they are calling it a software issue - which just seems impossible for severeal reasons.

1: How has NONE of Sonos employes noticed this before it being reported? (They have a different batch then the ones just shipped ofcourse)

2: We are on the same software, how come this only affects some units?

And if that’s the case, and they wanna fix a hardware-issue with a software update, that means they are putting a bandage on something broken to make it work. I don’t want it to work if I compromise. Why would I?

I can’t buy a car, discover that it only has 3 wheels, and then accept that they just ship me a fat lady to have sitting in the back-seat as counterbalance to keep it running.

Yes you're absolutely right! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I was so happy to get my Arc today and also noticed the bass… it seems like it muffles the sound and the bass gets distorted. It happens when I have the volume higher for a longer time.

second thing is you have to turn up the volume a lot compared to the Beam.

hope it will be fixed with a software update.

ps I’m not using a sub

There are multiple layers to the software. Some layers are installed at the factory and are not part of a user update. What if there are multiple production stations and one of them installed a defective software layer?

I don’t think that we yet know if this is a hardware or software issue and what percentage of the shipped units exhibit the issue.

Even at light speed it will require a few days to get a unit back to the lab and start researching the root cause. Due to COVID-19 concerns, the lab is probably not working with a full staff. If an engineer needs to travel to the production facility, there could be delays.

I am aware of another manufacturer’s product where a model had a nearly 100% failure rate during or just after the warranty period. The manufacturer took care of its customers and most were pleased and willing to purchase more of the manufacturer’s product. This is certainly an embarrassment for SONOS, but it does not need to be terminal.

Patience is required.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So I've been following this thread since the begining and was afraid this would include mine. Just got it and tested it out with previous examples as mentioned here. Mine does not have the issue. True play was on and loudness. Did not hear any issue with the bass. So I guess it's a batch problem?

Went from beam to this one and I have to agree that it requires higher % to have the same volume as beam

Mine was delivered and bought in Norway. Arrived today to the shop from Danmark. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

So I've been following this thread since the begining and was afraid this would include mine. Just got it and tested it out with previous examples as mentioned here. Mine does not have the issue. True play was on and loudness. Did not hear any issue with the bass. So I guess it's a batch problem?

Mine was delivered and bought in Norway. Arrived today to the shop from Danmark. 

I don’t have it all the time.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Oh.. So I guess I have to test it a little more then. Anyone got good song examples? Or movies with what time in the movie? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I tried a hardstyle song and them it happend to me. JeBroer - Engeltje is the song. :sweat_smile: (Dutch)

not my normal cup of tea

Userlevel 2
Badge

Oh.. So I guess I have to test it a little more then. Anyone got good song examples? Or movies with what time in the movie? 

Toy Story 3 @ 2:58

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
  • What are you watching or playing that you’re hearing this on? Be as specific as possible please and let us know if it’s only with music. For music, it helps us build a list of tracks and sources that we can recreate the issue with. jeBroer - Engeltje

• What volume do you experience this at? Does it only show up after a certain percentage or do you notice it most of the time? Noticed it with higher volume > 50%

• Is your Arc wall-mounted? No in front of tv

• If wall-mounted, does removing the speaker from the wall bracket and setting it on a credenza or table improve the issue

• Are you using Trueplay, and does it go away if you turn Trueplay off? Using trueplay. Not tested without yet

• Do you have the Bass EQ setting flat or adjusted in some way? +3

• If it’s possible, can you share an image of the setup? 

• Please submit a diagnostic from the system with it happening and let us know the number 1100352809

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Also the toy story 3 one someone else I know with one seemed to think he initially had it in stereo it wasn’t as evident as when he switched to 5.1 so make sure it’s at 5.1 or atmos at 50-70%

Userlevel 1
  • What are you watching or playing that you’re hearing this on? Be as specific as possible please and let us know if it’s only with music. For music, it helps us build a list of tracks and sources that we can recreate the issue with. Bassdrops - bassboosted

• What volume do you experience this at? Does it only show up after a certain percentage or do you notice it most of the time? Noticed it with higher volume > 50%

• If wall-mounted, does removing the speaker from the wall bracket and setting it on a credenza or table improve the issue

• Are you using Trueplay, and does it go away if you turn Trueplay off? Using trueplay. Not tested without yet

• Do you have the Bass EQ setting flat or adjusted in some way? 0

• If it’s possible, can you share an image of the setup? see above

• Please submit a diagnostic from the system with it happening and let us know the number 1546067548

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
  • What are you watching or playing that you’re hearing this on? Be as specific as possible please and let us know if it’s only with music. For music, it helps us build a list of tracks and sources that we can recreate the issue with. jeBroer - Engeltje

• Do you have the Bass EQ setting flat or adjusted in some way? +3

• If it’s possible, can you share an image of the setup? 

• Please submit a diagnostic from the system with it happening and let us know the number 1100352809

Picture of the setup . Play One’s as surround