Sonos Arc lip sync issues.

Badge

Hi I’ve got the new Sonos arc and it’s connected to my Samsung Q90R tv via the arc HDMI, my TV viewing is with Sky Q 2tb box. I’m getting lip sync issues being slightly out, I have adjusted the audio settings to zero on my sky box TV and Sonos app but still no joy. I had the playbar before with no problems any help pleased.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @kirasallypip,

Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for allowing us to help with your concern.

I would like to share to you some guides and troubleshooting steps to make sure everything is followed correctly.

Please Let us know how it goes. If all the above guides and tips have been followed and still the issue re-occurs, please submit a diagnostic while the issue is re-occuring and here’s how. We’l’re always ready to help and lend a hand.

Thanks,

Badge

Yep tried all of the correct procedures but no joy, contacted Samsung who’s reply was it’s a Sonos problem. If I can’t find a solution I will be returning the arc.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @kirasallypip,

Thanks for the immediate response and feedback.

I want to share to you a link that might help. I may seem that you have the same issue and almost the same TV.

Here;s the link and here’s what happened. 

If the issue still persist, Please submit a diagnostic while you have the issue on-going and here’s how. I’ll be more happy to take a look at it for you.

Thanks,

Badge

Can’t get on the link!

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @kirasallypip,

Thanks for the immediate response and I would like to apologize for the inconvenience.

Please try the link one more time.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Badge

Yes I’ve tried the tv sounds settings to zero but still the same

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @kirasallypip,

Thanks for the immediate response.

Can we also try to reboot the TV and the Sonos Arc, unplug both from power and plug them back after 10 to 15 seconds. 

Can we also try to unplug and plug back the HDMI cable from the ARC and from the back of the TV.

Then can we also observe and check if the issue is still re-occuring. 

Can you please try to submit a diagnostic and here’s how (while there is audio coming out of the arc), so we can further check what could possibly be causing this audio delay.

Thanks,

Badge

Hi just rebooted everything including sky box but no joy still the slight delay. I’ve also sent a diagnostic back

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @kirasallypip,

I would like to share to you the information provided on the diagnostics. It seems that your Sonos Arc is receiving intermittent signal connection from the TV, 

You may want to double check the HDMI cable and make sure they are fitted snug at the back of the TV and at the back of the Arc.

Please let me know what the outcome is.

Thanks,

Badge

Hi yes tried that even replaced HDMI cable with no luck

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

HI @kirasallypip,

Please consider using the same HDMI cable that came with the Sonos Arc since it may be configured in a different manner than regular HDMI cable since the HDMI cable for our Sonos Home Theater Speakers are dedicated audio cable and not Audio Video HDMI cable.

Try to make sure we use the same HDMI cable from the Arc and make sure it is plugged in snug at the back of the TV and at the back of the Arc.

Thanks for your immediate response.I would love to know how it goes.

Thanks,

Badge

I have the original cable that came with the arc no joy! I’m thinking of going back to my playbar and returning the arc. I’ve seen lots of posts with the same problem.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @kirasallypip.

I would suggest calling our customer support team, so we can be dig deeper on what's causing this problem and to further troubleshoot and understand what is going on with the lips sync on your Sonos Arc.

Thanks,

Badge

Have you tried connecting the TV to the Arc using an optical cable and the supplied adapter?

Badge

Not much point if I bought the arc for Dolby Atmos!

Badge

Does your tv have eARC?  I have read elsewhere that there are well known issues with lip sync and sky q over hdmi.  I have no lip sync issues at all with my Xbox one - LG C9 - Arc setup. All internal Tv apps are spot on.

Badge

I have had lip sync issues using skyQ with my Sonos Arc. Spent many hours trying different HDMI cables, different inputs on the tv as well as the many settings on the tv but to no avail. I have Philips OLED tv and no issues using tv apps like Netflix. (Funnily enough had no such issues with my 4 year old Samsung that was previously connected with the same set up.) I have found a workaround and it involves changing the skyQ sound output to “normal” rather than Dolby digital or Dolby digital plus. No sound delay at all but obviously losing sound quality as a result. It seems to me to be an issue with the tv processing the Dolby digital sound. Not sure if this is something that Sonos can get round with an update or Philips have to resolve but very frustrating.

Badge

Yes very frustrating, in the end I weighed up was the cost and quality worth keeping the arc! No was the outcome so it’s gone back and I’ve gone back to my Sonos playbar with no problems. 

I have the same problem with a new LG TV, sky, ARC.

It is beyond me how after such long product development, and with such a standard (at least in the UK) they cant sort this out.

I think Im going to have to return my Arc as well.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

I have the exact same problem ( Paul A   Please note )

I bought the Samsung Q90r to use with my Beam and 2 x 1 surrounds. I was hoping to next upgrade the Beam by purchasing the Arc. 
The problem is not cable related as I understand it but is due to the TV’s inability to pass through 5.1 digital audio fast enough to maintain lip sync plus the fact that the Beam and the Arc have only one input so that the digital feed cannot go from the SKYQ box into Sonos soundbars first and then proceed to the TV ( as is common with most high end soundbars and AV amplifiers )

PCM stereo can be fed into the TV direct from SKYQ and there will be no lip sync problems when passed through from TV to soundbar but that setting is just vanilla stereo. 

With the Beam you can get round the problem by using optical cables from SKY, TV, and XBox etc and by using an optical switch to independently feed 5.1 surround from each device direct to the Beam. 
You can also do the same with the Arc but what you can’t do specifically with the Arc is utilise Dolby Atmos as optical cable can’t carry the Atmos signal. Dolby Atmos requires the use of  arc or earc HDMI direct from source to Soundbar. There are currently no HDMI arc/earc switch boxes although HDFury are currently developing one. 

So currently the options are

Feed SKYQ into TV with a SKYQ set to PCM and you can get Dolby Atmos from the TV apps and stereo from SKYQ using the Samsung’s passthrough. 
Or use optical cable and optical switch box to get 5.1 digital from TV and SKYQ but no Dolby Atmos. 
Or use the arc port on the TV for TV  apps ( Amazon/Netflix ) and unplug the HDMI arc cable from the Soundbar and  plug in the SKYQ optical cable ( with Sonos optical/HDMI adapter ) when you want to use SKYQ. 

Samsung were wrong to say it’s a Sonos problem. The Samsung TV doesn’t passthrough Dolby Digital signals with correct lip sync. Video is ahead of audio and can’t be adjusted. 

However I do think that Sonos made a big mistake with their Arc soundbar in only having one port. This high price Dolby Atmos soundbar should have have had several input ports and arc HDMI to allow for direct input from several devices that potential customers are very likely to have and  that would eradicate any lip sync problem. 

If HDFury succeed in making a suitable   HDMI arc switch box the problem is solved ( though not inexpensively )

I would think it would be in Sonos’ interest to look into developing their own HDMI arc switch box or by  bringing out an Arc Mark II soundbar with sufficient ports to cater for satellite/ cable, Xboxes etc
I intended to buy an Arc soundbar but for now though “I’m out”.

BTW the Beam plus 2 x Ones surround speakers sounds superb  

SKQ

Bluray

Samsung Q90r TV

Inexpensive 3 way optical switch box with remote  

Dolby 5.1 surround from all sources  

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @electrosim2001.

Thank you for a very detailed response. I could not agree with your point enough.

I would be morethan happy to send this to our engineering team as a feature request. However, Just to set your expectation you will not be notified but what we can do is to subscribe to this thread and check our announcement from time to time for any updates or accessory release just in case we have anything that may relate to this concern since Sonos were made to serve only (one master) to which ever it is plugged into via either the optical cable or HDMI cable. This is a good point as well either to release an update for a little HDMI hub exclusive for Sonos devices as well an a mini switch on the app for the Sonos device to switch from any HDMI option input option on the Sonos app as this can be quite impossible to be done automatically if for example both the TV and a cable box feeds the same signal going through the hub,

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns.

Hi @kirasallypip, @Longcn @slidchapman.

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to clarify that Dolby Atmos is only available to the Sonos Arc and having this feature on the Sonos Arc does not translate all video coming from the TV or from any other source to generate Dolby Atmos unles we can verify that the audio we have on the TV is encoded with Dobly Atmos. Everything still depends on how the video is coded and what signal does the TV receive and generates towards the Sonos Arc. 

However for the Lipsync issue, I would like to recommend  to submit a diagnostic and here’s how (while there is audio coming out of the arc), so we can further check what could possibly be causing this audio delay.

Thanks,

Badge

Hi I have already returned the arc and gone back to the playbar with no issues.

Yep tried all of the correct procedures but no joy, contacted Samsung who’s reply was it’s a Sonos problem. If I can’t find a solution I will be returning the arc.

If you do not have eArc on your TV or have lip sync problems, here is the solution.  An adapter that sits between video source and Sonos arc!  it's time for Sonos to start promoting this product, for your own sake. https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Userlevel 1

been a Sonos dealer since 2007 and I can tell you the ARC sound bar has a lot of problems. I noticed the lipsync issue with Samsung TV too and also have noticed with Samsung TV when you play music not the Arc and then trying to go back to TV it will tell you it cannot connect. What I do to fix that issue is simple turn off the TV and then change the input to TV and then put the TV back on. BTW I find it disingenuous when Sonos reps post and tell us they don’t know what we are talking about for they knew very well whats going on. BTW the sound on the ARC soundbar is not as good as the Playbar for me anyways. And why did they put the volume and pause button on the top of the ARC soundbar when most mount then really really close to the TV (sometimes even touching)

Userlevel 1

BTW we used to fix lipsnyc issues with data compression whether it was compressing or not compressing the data - however that doesn’t fix the issue on the ARC