If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Show first post

434 replies

All devices would connect to the switch, instead of the TV. There would then be a single HDMI cable from the switch to the TV for the video, and an optical cable from the switch to the Beam to carry the sound. That way, your TV can't delay the audio signal.
And just to confirm - by adding a switch like that, you wouldn’t lose the ARC functionality of controlling the sound via the LG remote for example?

In my setup, I only have an Apple TV 4K connected to my C7 - I can fix the issue by forcing DD through the Apple TV and connect the beam through the optical but then I lose the ARC functionality, just adjusting the sound with one remote in my case though so not too big of an issue as I don’t use Alexa with the beam for example. But if a switch fixes the lip sync through optical while keeping the HDMI ARC benefits, I’d go for the solution.

Thanks in advance!

I’m not an expert here so appreciate the advice on the device I’d need as well. Based on earlier posts, I’ve been look on amazon for a switch and wondering if this would do the trick:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07F6YPVZJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tUQZCbW9PAZFN

That's correct. Once putting my TV's sound to 'HDMI external sound' I was able to control just the Playbar using my TV's remote without any further feedback from my TV, which is actually an upside from before. I can't guarantee that it works the same way with a Beam, as my setup only has a Playbar instead, but using the switch I get 5.1 sound from anything plugged into the switch ánd the TV's apps.

My setup is like this:
PS4Pro > HDMI > Switch
Switch > HDMI > TV
Switch > Optical > Playbar

I also noticed about the switch you linked it only supports 4k@30fps, so if you are worried about 4k gaming or HFR movies I'd go for a different one.
Hey Bigmanibids. You mentioned 5 days ago there would be an update to resolve this unbelievable unacceptable sync problem. Still no update. $700 for a soundbar and it can’t do its main job correct. We are all idiots. I own 17 Sonos products and up until this I’ve had no real complaint. I bought a cheap $99 soundbar to compare and it worked flawlessly. Hope that it comes out soon or the playbar is going on eBay. What a joke.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi

LG VIP customer service told me today that the new firmware release due last Friday was pulled back. They did not give me a new ETA
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

At first thought I thought the 3x1 toslink from J-Tech that MSterling linked was the solution for me but this will only work if the source of the audio/video has an optical output, which my Apple TV 4K does not. The J-Tech 4K@60HZ HDMI Audio Extractor Converter SPDIF + 3.5MM Output solved my audio sync problem but with that installed between my cable box and the Samsung the only way to get audio from Apple TV to my Playbar is to switch out the HDMI in/outputs on the extractor. I’ve searched for an extractor with multi HDMI in/out ports and toslink but can’t find such a thing. Is there a solution for this I’m overlooking?

Booner,   Is this what you’re looking for?  It would allow the HDMI from the Cable box and HDMI from AppleTV as inputs.  HDMI out to video for TV.  TOSlink output to Playbar.  If Playbar needs HDMI, then you would use the Optical to HDMI adapter on the TOSlink.

https://jtechdigital.com/product/3x1-audio-extractor-4k/

This also may be a choice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9P9NBN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_BvZ-DbGWGATAX

At first thought I thought the 3x1 toslink from J-Tech that MSterling linked was the solution for me but this will only work if the source of the audio/video has an optical output, which my Apple TV 4K does not. The J-Tech 4K@60HZ HDMI Audio Extractor Converter SPDIF + 3.5MM Output solved my audio sync problem but with that installed between my cable box and the Samsung the only way to get audio from Apple TV to my Playbar is to switch out the HDMI in/outputs on the extractor. I’ve searched for an extractor with multi HDMI in/out ports and toslink but can’t find such a thing. Is there a solution for this I’m overlooking?

Booner,   Is this what you’re looking for?  It would allow the HDMI from the Cable box and HDMI from AppleTV as inputs.  HDMI out to video for TV.  TOSlink output to Playbar.  If Playbar needs HDMI, then you would use the Optical to HDMI adapter on the TOSlink.

https://jtechdigital.com/product/3x1-audio-extractor-4k/

This also may be a choice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9P9NBN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_BvZ-DbGWGATAX

Thanks, MSterling. After more thought I ordered the 3x1 toslink audio switch from J-Tech you recommended. I think it may work. Throughout this thread most say there is no sync issue with 4K ATV running through the TV and out to the Playbar via optical so I plan to try running HDMI from the cable box and from the ATV to the Samsung and then run optical audio cables from the cable box and the Samsung to the J-Tech audio switch and then out to the Playbar. If it works I’ll be able to return the J-Tech extractor. 

I just set up LG C9 65” with the playbar and the audio synch was pretty bad (audio slower than video). I found a setting that seemed to help. On the LG optical out menu I changed it from “auto” to “pass through” and it seemed to be a big help. I also set my xfinity box to Dolby 5.1 and my Apple TV to Dolby 5.1. I am still testing it out a bit during the playbar return period. But it seems like pass through may have worked for now.

if not I will try the hdmi switch next although I would rather not deal with that if it can be avoided.

Would be interested to know if the audio pass through setting works for others.

Any chance that LG remote is using something other than InfraRed to send signals to the TV? The Sonos can only ‘see’ IR, so you often have to tell your remote to use IR. See some additional data here

Userlevel 1
Badge
I am also concerned that both SONOS and LG are not responsive to us,their customers. I have spoken to both groups and they admit a problem exists. LG. stated it is a tv firmware issue but does not provide an ETA for a fix. It is a beautiful picture but the lack of quality sound diminishes the experience -I hope they communicate with us and provide a fix
Userlevel 1
Badge
I set my Verizon STB to PCM( stereo) and all other devices to stereo also- resolved all lip sync issues
Userlevel 1
Badge
Okay, I am very confused at this point. I was going for a PS4 Pro - LG C7 - Playbase (+Sub + 2 Play: 1) DD5.1 setup, but I guess I will have to deal with this sync issue then.
Would a optical audio splitter like this https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Toslink-Digital-Splitter-Dolby-AC3/dp/B00NBTRC4O/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1523445338&sr=8-8&keywords=optical+audio+splitter solve the issue for me?
I set PS4 audio output to optical, connect that directly to the splitter. Do the same thing for the TV. Connect splitter to Playbase. -> No delay issues?

Yes that will solve it. Any device that has an optical out can be plugged into the splitter and then the audio won’t be delayed as it bypasses the TV. It’s only devices that don’t have an optical out such as Apple TV, Nvidia Shield and others that are affected due to the TV not passing the 5.1 signal.
I honestly think the issues lies inside the PlayBar when Dolby 5.1 is being used, the PlayBar must be doing some type of processing causing an audio delay. Nothing we can do besides never use Dolby 5.1 OR use an HDMI audio extractor so the PlayBar gets the Audio before the TV even processes the image but then you'll have to constantly change the audio delay based on 5.1 or 2ch.

@Ken_Griffiths   You mention that setting the optical to Pass-Through also solves the lip sync issue.  I have the LG C9.  Can you tell me where that setting is?  If that works without the need for the switch, that would be great.

Yes, goto the TV Settings/Sounds/Sound out… it will appear when either the 'HDMI-ARC’ or 'Optical' option is selected. Switch the “Digital Sound Out” setting.

@Ken_Griffiths   You mention that setting the optical to Pass-Through also solves the lip sync issue.  I have the LG C9.  Can you tell me where that setting is?  If that works without the need for the switch, that would be great.

Yes, goto the TV Settings/Sounds/Sound out… it will appear when either the 'HDMI-ARC’ or 'Optical' option is selected. Switch the “Digital Sound Out” setting.

Perfect!!  Thank you. 

I just spoke to the LG VIP support representative She indicated that the firmware update to resolve the lip sync issue is scheduled to be released this Friday ( it may take a few weeks to be available to all consumers )- a hopeful development -

Has this worked for anyone? I am currently bypassing my LG TV completely with the sound but can give it a shot if the update has been released.

Any chance that LG remote is using something other than InfraRed to send signals to the TV? The Sonos can only ‘see’ IR, so you often have to tell your remote to use IR. See some additional data here

Sorted! Thanks a lot!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,

I just purchased a LG OLED 55 B7V, a Sonos Playbase + Sub + 2x Play one because there was a pretty good offer in a local store. Now I just stumbled over this lip sync issue and it seems that there won't be a solution to this soon. Is it really that bad? I couldn't find any videos where the issue was noticeable. I would like to connect a BR player and a nvidia shield to the TV. What would you guys suggest? Returne the order, wait for a fix, purchase another TV or purchase another 5.1 System? I don't really get the thing about an optical audio splitter mentioned in this thred before. Would be great if somebody could explain it to me.

Thanks and BR

The other option mentioned is to have an optical cable from each media source connected to a splitter which then outputs to the Playbar. (e.g. I output my audio from my Sky Q box to the Playbar rather than from my TV) This will bypass the TV for audio signals to the PlayBar.

Edit

The limitation with this option however is that built in apps on the TV won't work.
Userlevel 1
Badge

You need an optical/toslink switch.  There are many on amazon to choose from with varying numbers of inputs. They all do the same job.

You can also use a hdmi switch that has an optical extractor on it so that all your hdmi inputs go to it but the hdmi output of the switch only sends video, the audio being extracted/converted to an optical output on the switch that goes to your beam. 

Badge
Okay, Ken Griffiths and Airgetlam, I will submit it if it does end up happening again, thanks to both of you for your help!
Userlevel 1
Badge
100% agree but I don’t think it’s a Sonos issue personally. I think it’s LG. It’s works perfect over optical only. So it’s something to do with the HDMI pass through ability of LG TV’s. I am not sure if a HDMI port would help. We’ll see if anyone reports issues with Beam.
Badge
Hi all,
As predicted by some on here, the main board replacement had no tangible effect on the lip sync issue. The engineer has escalated this with his base, who will advise LG of the outcome. Hopefully another voice to a growing chorus of discontent at the contempt LG are displaying towards their customers.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
As has been stated before, the delay is within the TV, and not the BEAM. And it's not a center channel only, it's the center, left and right in a single enclosure. Where did any of us say the delay wasn't in the TV? From many reports online, it is stated the issue is with the TV Optical port though, so many of us are hoping the Beam having a HDMI port wont suffer from the same problem due to being connected to the TV via ARC.

Also, no-one said the beam is a centre channel only. Just that it would be good to be able to use it that way with 2 other separate sonos speakers as front left and right. This is purely a suggestion to Sonos.
In my opinion, it is most likely because it is an issue with the LG doing something that is causing the optical signal to be delayed out of the TV, and Sonos has not been able to create a time machine to receive the optical signal before it has been sent.

It's unfortunate that it isn't a Sonos issue, I believe that Sonos would have already fixed it, if it was on their side of things. But they have to play what they receive across the optical cable when they receive it.

I'm anxious to find out if there's a possibility that the BEAM may not suffer this issue when it is connected via HDMI.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
In my opinion, it is most likely because it is an issue with the LG doing something that is causing the optical signal to be delayed out of the TV, and Sonos has not been able to create a time machine to receive the optical signal before it has been sent.

It's unfortunate that it isn't a Sonos issue, I believe that Sonos would have already fixed it, if it was on their side of things. But they have to play what they receive across the optical cable when they receive it.

I'm anxious to find out if there's a possibility that the BEAM may not suffer this issue when it is connected via HDMI.

Early reviews seem good on that front, your earlier post about delay over optical with it were correct, one reviewer said using the optical adapter he couldn't quite get the audio synced up but using the HDMI proved seamless I believe he was using an LG OLED as well.
Sorry, I was responding to the statement "I just hope the beam doesn't suffer from audio delay,", but you do have a point, assuming that you're connecting with the HDMI cable rather than the optical cable. I would expect that if it was connected with the optical cable, it would have the same delay.

I'd be fascinated to hear from someone who can test this.

I will be testing this tomorrow on my 2016 E6P when my Beam arrives. 🆒