If you're experiencing audio delay issues, read this

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

551 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Redesign the SONOS playbar/playbase to use HDMI passthrough so embedded audio stays synced.
The problem isn't in the Sonos software, it's in the LG's processing of the surround signal. If you look through this area of the forum, you'll find a lot of people who have "fixed" the issue by purchasing an HDMI switch with an optical output, and pull the sound out before it reaches the TV.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
LG C8 owners may be pleased to know that new firmware 04.10.55 just went official that fixes the Arc audio issues. I have had it in beta for a little while and confirm lip sync is no longer terrible with my Sonos Beam over Arc.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I have an oled c7 with the playbase 5.1 setup and i have this terrible lag problem. I also have ks9000 that i had previously setup with the playbase 5.1 setup and guess what, same problem. All sonos keep saying its the tv. Really?!?!
I have this exact issue with my Philips 55OLED803 (which is on Android Oreo). If I use the TV's native apps for Netflix I can get 5.1 sound without any trouble (as shown in the Sonos App). If I try to get my PS4 Pro to use 5.1 Dolby Digital, it is paired with a delay of at least 0.5 sec.
For anyone that circumvented this issue by using a switch to extract the audio and connect straight to the Playbar: Which model is recommended to maintain the same level of video quality? (4k 60fps HDR)

For anyone wondering about this: I was able to solve this by using the switch located here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076XV1LVS/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item
While maintaining 4k@60fps HDR quality. The auto switching between channels seems fast and works flawlessly (might also be because of HDMI CEC), and it still allows for 5.1 sound on my Smart TV Apps through HDMI ARC. I wanted a device that was able to switch automatically between inputs as I don't want to fiddle with an extra cheap remote for my setup, I am pleased this was the case. And best of all: No more audio delay!
I have the same problem - lipsync is hosed on my LG OLED with audio connected to Play Base via optical audio. But I've had the set up for a while (since just after Christmas) and haven't noticed this problem till just now. AND my setup has been disconnected for about 3-4 weeks (renovations). Could something have happened since say the middle of February? Some auto update of Sonos or LG? My Sonos did update today when I hooked it up again and turned it on for the first time in weeks. Don't know if OLED TV updated. SOMETHING has changed... (and thanks for all this info: I'll watch for solution...)
All devices would connect to the switch, instead of the TV. There would then be a single HDMI cable from the switch to the TV for the video, and an optical cable from the switch to the Beam to carry the sound. That way, your TV can't delay the audio signal.
And just to confirm - by adding a switch like that, you wouldn’t lose the ARC functionality of controlling the sound via the LG remote for example?

In my setup, I only have an Apple TV 4K connected to my C7 - I can fix the issue by forcing DD through the Apple TV and connect the beam through the optical but then I lose the ARC functionality, just adjusting the sound with one remote in my case though so not too big of an issue as I don’t use Alexa with the beam for example. But if a switch fixes the lip sync through optical while keeping the HDMI ARC benefits, I’d go for the solution.

Thanks in advance!

I’m not an expert here so appreciate the advice on the device I’d need as well. Based on earlier posts, I’ve been look on amazon for a switch and wondering if this would do the trick:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07F6YPVZJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tUQZCbW9PAZFN

That's correct. Once putting my TV's sound to 'HDMI external sound' I was able to control just the Playbar using my TV's remote without any further feedback from my TV, which is actually an upside from before. I can't guarantee that it works the same way with a Beam, as my setup only has a Playbar instead, but using the switch I get 5.1 sound from anything plugged into the switch ánd the TV's apps.

My setup is like this:
PS4Pro > HDMI > Switch
Switch > HDMI > TV
Switch > Optical > Playbar

I also noticed about the switch you linked it only supports 4k@30fps, so if you are worried about 4k gaming or HFR movies I'd go for a different one.
Hey Bigmanibids. You mentioned 5 days ago there would be an update to resolve this unbelievable unacceptable sync problem. Still no update. $700 for a soundbar and it can’t do its main job correct. We are all idiots. I own 17 Sonos products and up until this I’ve had no real complaint. I bought a cheap $99 soundbar to compare and it worked flawlessly. Hope that it comes out soon or the playbar is going on eBay. What a joke.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi

LG VIP customer service told me today that the new firmware release due last Friday was pulled back. They did not give me a new ETA
Userlevel 4
Badge +7

At first thought I thought the 3x1 toslink from J-Tech that MSterling linked was the solution for me but this will only work if the source of the audio/video has an optical output, which my Apple TV 4K does not. The J-Tech 4K@60HZ HDMI Audio Extractor Converter SPDIF + 3.5MM Output solved my audio sync problem but with that installed between my cable box and the Samsung the only way to get audio from Apple TV to my Playbar is to switch out the HDMI in/outputs on the extractor. I’ve searched for an extractor with multi HDMI in/out ports and toslink but can’t find such a thing. Is there a solution for this I’m overlooking?

Booner,   Is this what you’re looking for?  It would allow the HDMI from the Cable box and HDMI from AppleTV as inputs.  HDMI out to video for TV.  TOSlink output to Playbar.  If Playbar needs HDMI, then you would use the Optical to HDMI adapter on the TOSlink.

https://jtechdigital.com/product/3x1-audio-extractor-4k/

This also may be a choice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9P9NBN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_BvZ-DbGWGATAX

At first thought I thought the 3x1 toslink from J-Tech that MSterling linked was the solution for me but this will only work if the source of the audio/video has an optical output, which my Apple TV 4K does not. The J-Tech 4K@60HZ HDMI Audio Extractor Converter SPDIF + 3.5MM Output solved my audio sync problem but with that installed between my cable box and the Samsung the only way to get audio from Apple TV to my Playbar is to switch out the HDMI in/outputs on the extractor. I’ve searched for an extractor with multi HDMI in/out ports and toslink but can’t find such a thing. Is there a solution for this I’m overlooking?

Booner,   Is this what you’re looking for?  It would allow the HDMI from the Cable box and HDMI from AppleTV as inputs.  HDMI out to video for TV.  TOSlink output to Playbar.  If Playbar needs HDMI, then you would use the Optical to HDMI adapter on the TOSlink.

https://jtechdigital.com/product/3x1-audio-extractor-4k/

This also may be a choice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P9P9NBN/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_BvZ-DbGWGATAX

Thanks, MSterling. After more thought I ordered the 3x1 toslink audio switch from J-Tech you recommended. I think it may work. Throughout this thread most say there is no sync issue with 4K ATV running through the TV and out to the Playbar via optical so I plan to try running HDMI from the cable box and from the ATV to the Samsung and then run optical audio cables from the cable box and the Samsung to the J-Tech audio switch and then out to the Playbar. If it works I’ll be able to return the J-Tech extractor. 

Any chance that LG remote is using something other than InfraRed to send signals to the TV? The Sonos can only ‘see’ IR, so you often have to tell your remote to use IR. See some additional data here

Userlevel 1
Badge
I am also concerned that both SONOS and LG are not responsive to us,their customers. I have spoken to both groups and they admit a problem exists. LG. stated it is a tv firmware issue but does not provide an ETA for a fix. It is a beautiful picture but the lack of quality sound diminishes the experience -I hope they communicate with us and provide a fix

Makes sense to me. It's a tough thing to get right. I hope LG, Sonos and Samsung can implement firmware or software solutions that work for the stuff everyone's already bought. I did some more googling and found a rather interesting blog from Dolby in 2018 that explains a lot of these troubles quite well. Worth a read for anyone else who winds up here.

Dolby blog link:

https://developer.dolby.com/blog/dolby-audio-over-hdmi-part-3-reality/

The blog has a sentence that makes for a decent tldr;

"Decoding audio and video in devices requires some processing time, and each process introduces different time delays, or latencies, in each device."

Userlevel 1
Badge
I set my Verizon STB to PCM( stereo) and all other devices to stereo also- resolved all lip sync issues

I have lip sync issues using a 2016 Panasoni Viera TV with 5.1 audio from an external source. Interestingly, when I output sound via the TV speakers and lower my Sonos Beam volume, the audio delay is still present. Also, when I use built-in TV apps with 5.1, and output audio over Sonos Beam, there is no delay.

In summary, it is an issue with the TV and nothing to do with the Sonos.

There is so much discussion on this topic that I’ve covered and I’ve come to the conclusion that there are two solutions.

1. Use a TV that supports 5.1 pass through over ARC/Optical with no delay (best).
  2. Use a HDMI splitter with audio extractor (workaround).

I’m going for option 2 in the short term, option 1 longer term.

There is an interesting post above whereby a user describes how a recent Roku TV update has fixed the issue, I may look to TVs supporting that.

Userlevel 1
Badge
Okay, I am very confused at this point. I was going for a PS4 Pro - LG C7 - Playbase (+Sub + 2 Play: 1) DD5.1 setup, but I guess I will have to deal with this sync issue then.
Would a optical audio splitter like this https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Toslink-Digital-Splitter-Dolby-AC3/dp/B00NBTRC4O/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1523445338&sr=8-8&keywords=optical+audio+splitter solve the issue for me?
I set PS4 audio output to optical, connect that directly to the splitter. Do the same thing for the TV. Connect splitter to Playbase. -> No delay issues?

Yes that will solve it. Any device that has an optical out can be plugged into the splitter and then the audio won’t be delayed as it bypasses the TV. It’s only devices that don’t have an optical out such as Apple TV, Nvidia Shield and others that are affected due to the TV not passing the 5.1 signal.
I honestly think the issues lies inside the PlayBar when Dolby 5.1 is being used, the PlayBar must be doing some type of processing causing an audio delay. Nothing we can do besides never use Dolby 5.1 OR use an HDMI audio extractor so the PlayBar gets the Audio before the TV even processes the image but then you'll have to constantly change the audio delay based on 5.1 or 2ch.

@Ken_Griffiths   You mention that setting the optical to Pass-Through also solves the lip sync issue.  I have the LG C9.  Can you tell me where that setting is?  If that works without the need for the switch, that would be great.

Yes, goto the TV Settings/Sounds/Sound out… it will appear when either the 'HDMI-ARC’ or 'Optical' option is selected. Switch the “Digital Sound Out” setting.

@Ken_Griffiths   You mention that setting the optical to Pass-Through also solves the lip sync issue.  I have the LG C9.  Can you tell me where that setting is?  If that works without the need for the switch, that would be great.

Yes, goto the TV Settings/Sounds/Sound out… it will appear when either the 'HDMI-ARC’ or 'Optical' option is selected. Switch the “Digital Sound Out” setting.

Perfect!!  Thank you. 

I just spoke to the LG VIP support representative She indicated that the firmware update to resolve the lip sync issue is scheduled to be released this Friday ( it may take a few weeks to be available to all consumers )- a hopeful development -

Has this worked for anyone? I am currently bypassing my LG TV completely with the sound but can give it a shot if the update has been released.

Any chance that LG remote is using something other than InfraRed to send signals to the TV? The Sonos can only ‘see’ IR, so you often have to tell your remote to use IR. See some additional data here

Sorted! Thanks a lot!

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

After many months on the Optical I tried the HDMI ARC port again.  Lo and behold, it’s not giving the audio delay.  I keep track of the firmware updates on the TV and maybe the the S2 update to Beam did something - no idea.  But here’s one odd thing, the audio was now slightly faster than the video.  Almost imperceptible.  So using the TV Sound/Expert settings, I added a slight delay.  

FYI: This is on a Samsung 2019 75” Q80R

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,

I just purchased a LG OLED 55 B7V, a Sonos Playbase + Sub + 2x Play one because there was a pretty good offer in a local store. Now I just stumbled over this lip sync issue and it seems that there won't be a solution to this soon. Is it really that bad? I couldn't find any videos where the issue was noticeable. I would like to connect a BR player and a nvidia shield to the TV. What would you guys suggest? Returne the order, wait for a fix, purchase another TV or purchase another 5.1 System? I don't really get the thing about an optical audio splitter mentioned in this thred before. Would be great if somebody could explain it to me.

Thanks and BR

The other option mentioned is to have an optical cable from each media source connected to a splitter which then outputs to the Playbar. (e.g. I output my audio from my Sky Q box to the Playbar rather than from my TV) This will bypass the TV for audio signals to the PlayBar.

Edit

The limitation with this option however is that built in apps on the TV won't work.