Answered

Beam - room size

• 21 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge
Hi,

I want to add a sound bar to my TV and as I have 2 Play 1s in the room already, I'm thinking of choosing the Beam.

I see that the information on the Sonos site says it's suitable for small to medium size rooms but it says that on the US and UK site, and also on the Spanish site (I live Spain), which seems odd to me, as most Americans I know think that what I regard as big, e.g. houses, cars, etc. are in fact quite small. Hence my question.

My room is 6 meters by 4 and I sit around 5 meters from the TV. I would have the bar under the TV (obvs) and a Play 1 in the corners behind me. Surely that's enough power to give me a good sound?

It's an apartment and I respect the neighbours so my Play 1s when dealing with music and radio rarely go above 25% on the volume scale. I really need the soundbar just to aim the sound in my direction (instead of the wall behind the TV) and add some clarity, and hopefully to eliminate the ups and downs between dialog and action that has me reaching for the remote quite often.

Is the Beam suitable?

Interested to hear any thoughts and TIA.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 21 January 2019, 12:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

My wife and I have the Beam and two 'bonded' Play:1 surrounds in our dining room which is approx. 20 x 15 feet, so roughly the same size as your room and it’s more than adequate for that size room.
I'd consider that a medium to large room. The Beam will be fine for that room, but some people may want more. It's a good idea to buy direct from Sonos or some other retailer with a good return policy so you can give it a test drive.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I've used the same setup in similar conditions. 6 metres is a fair distance, but if you're not looking to make a racket it should serve you well - the rears compensate for the distance and open up the stereo separation.

The Beam is obviously a more powerful speaker than your TV - you're still going to find yourself adjusting volume in content with sudden loud noises - that's because of the content rather than the speaker itself. However, Sonos has included a night mode option in the app, which is exactly for that scenario 😃
Badge
Thanks for the replies. On the basis of your helpful comments I've gone ahead and ordered one today.
Badge
Thought I'd come back with an update. The Beam is superb and with the two Play 1s the system as a whole is absolutely fine for my size of room. Thanks again for the input.