Answered

Arc Atmos via HDMI audio extraction on non atmos TVs

• 16 June 2020
  • 4 replies

I have acquired a Sonos Arc, my Samsung TV doesn’t do Atmos even over DD but my ATV does.  Im happy to use this as the only source of input for the Atmos as it has all the apps etc, before I invest in an (expensive, but cheaper than a new TV!) HDMI audio extractor and EDID emulator I wondered if anyone has tried this route and got it working to split out the sound from ATV HDMI output, so effectively the video goes to TV off one split channel and the audio to Sonos Arc?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 16 June 2020, 21:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The device you’re looking for has been a topic of discussion for a while now, and doesn’t yet actually exist.  A company called HDFury is pledging to create the device.

The typical HDMI extractor or splitter will not work as the Arc does not take audio from an HDMI output, it only takes audio through the ARC/eARC channels (which flows opposite of normal HDMI traffic).  What is needed, besides a splitter, is a device that can take audio from and input, convert it over to an ARC/eARC signal and send it to the Arc.

Thanks that’s super helpful

By the way, there is a thread for the device melvimbe is talking about here.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Device is now in production.  ARCANA by HDFury will solve this problem.

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Device separates out full audio up to Dolby Atmos over Dolby TrueHD from any external HDMI source and sends it to the Sonos Arc and passthrough full 4k video up to 18gbps!  They are accepting pre orders now.