Answered

Apple TV 4K defaulting to HDMI every time

I have the following setup:

• Apple TV 4k
  • Projector connected to Apple TV via HDMI in back of room
  • Sonos Beam and Sub in front of room under screen
  • 2 Sonos Ones in back of room
  • The above Sonos products are grouped together
  • I connect Apple TV to my Sonos system wirelessly given the locations of the equipment

Problem(s):

1. Every single time I turn on Apple TV, the audio settings revert to HDMI and I have to unselect and reselect my Sonos system deep in settings. 
  2. Sometimes when I do this, the selection does not work, and the volume continues to come out of the projector speakers.
  3. I’ve recently noticed that my Sonos system will work for certain Apple TV apps and not others (i.e. HBO, Hulu, Netflix work through Sonos, but system sounds, like scrolling, and other apps, like TruTV, default to the HDMI).

Does anyone know of a workaround or solution for these three likely interrelated issues? Thanks!

icon

Best answer by riksnax 19 August 2020, 16:36

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @distanceguy14, thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! 

You said you’re wirelessly connecting the Beam to your Apple TV 4K, you mean AirPlay? Maybe it's focusing more on the HDMI connection. If you can connect the Sonos Beam using an HDMI cable or optical adapter on your Apple TV since it’s one of the best ways of connecting it as well, try that and let us know if it helps. Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

This will solve your problems, and also let you experience surround sound (airplay is only stereo):

https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Hi @distanceguy14, thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! 

You said you’re wirelessly connecting the Beam to your Apple TV 4K, you mean AirPlay? Maybe it's focusing more on the HDMI connection. If you can connect the Sonos Beam using an HDMI cable or optical adapter on your Apple TV since it’s one of the best ways of connecting it as well, try that and let us know if it helps. Thanks!

Thanks! My issue is that the projector is in the back of the room and the SONOS Beam is in the front of the room in front of the projector screen. It sounds like there isn’t a way to consistently get this to work without it being wired? @Krishma M 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks. Yes, you can try and check what @oriboaz suggested, and playing the TV audio to Sonos Beam needs an HDMI cable or optical audio adapter. Another feature of the Beam is it's compatible with AirPlay 2. More information here about Using AirPlay with Sonos. Just let us know if you need anything. 

@Krishma M I do have my home theater system working via AirPlay 2...but it only works sometimes, and I frequently have to change the Apple TV settings from HDMI to AirPlay (even though I never adjust them to HDMI). That’s the thing, it works perfectly 80% of the time, but then refuses to work the other 20% of the time. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@Krishma M I do have my home theater system working via AirPlay 2...but it only works sometimes, and I frequently have to change the Apple TV settings from HDMI to AirPlay (even though I never adjust them to HDMI). That’s the thing, it works perfectly 80% of the time, but then refuses to work the other 20% of the time. 

In this case, you may need to try and disconnect the HDMI connected to your Apple TV and observe if the AirPlay connection issue will still persist. Thanks!

In this case, you may need to try and disconnect the HDMI connected to your Apple TV and observe if the AirPlay connection issue will still persist. Thanks!

@Krishma M  Unfortunately, that will not work, as without the HDMI connection from the Apple TV to the projector there is no interface to use at all. I only have the Apple TV, a Projector, and the SONOS theater.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @distanceguy14, thanks for replying. If you have other Apple devices, or if you can use your phone to AirPlay to the Beam and check if it will stay connected? Two reasons why it's not staying connected with the Apple TV could be losing the AirPlay connection with each other which is based on the strength of the WiFi, or the HDMI connection is being prioritized that you may need to check on your Apple TV/projector. You can also try and submit a diagnostic, so we can further check your setup. Reply to us with the confirmation number. Thanks! 

Hey @distanceguy14 - I am not sure if you already solved this problem, but I came across your question because I am experiencing the exact same dilemma. I figured out a workaround, but unfortunately it means you need to buy a couple more pieces of equipment. You will need: 

-Sonos Port (or Connect)

-HDMI Audio Extractor (HDMI → HDMI + Audio)

I also have a projector and ultimately do not want to run cables all the way across my room to get to the speakers, and since the Apple TV needs to connect directly to the projector it was also not an option to go straight into the speakers. 
You will need to go from Apple TV HDMI into the HDMI Audio Extractor, then send the HDMI out of the Extractor into your projector and the RCA audio out into your Sonos Port. The Port has an option in settings under “Line In” that allows you to autoplay to any Rooms or speaker groups as soon as it detects the input. So you can still listen to music and everything on your Sonos speakers, but then as soon as you start using the Apple TV it will automatically default to your Port’s Line In. 

This is the only way I have been able to keep things working because you can keep your Apple TV set to the HDMI audio output that it always wants to default toward anyway. 

I know it sucks to have to buy more equipment and I personally wish I had known this would be a problem before I started buying speakers, but unfortunately I think it is the only reliable way to avoid running cables across your room. 

Hope this helps!

Thank you, @riksnax! Will try this out.

Hey @distanceguy14 - I am not sure if you already solved this problem, but I came across your question because I am experiencing the exact same dilemma. I figured out a workaround, but unfortunately it means you need to buy a couple more pieces of equipment. You will need: 

-Sonos Port (or Connect)

-HDMI Audio Extractor (HDMI → HDMI + Audio)

I also have a projector and ultimately do not want to run cables all the way across my room to get to the speakers, and since the Apple TV needs to connect directly to the projector it was also not an option to go straight into the speakers. 
You will need to go from Apple TV HDMI into the HDMI Audio Extractor, then send the HDMI out of the Extractor into your projector and the RCA audio out into your Sonos Port. The Port has an option in settings under “Line In” that allows you to autoplay to any Rooms or speaker groups as soon as it detects the input. So you can still listen to music and everything on your Sonos speakers, but then as soon as you start using the Apple TV it will automatically default to your Port’s Line In. 

This is the only way I have been able to keep things working because you can keep your Apple TV set to the HDMI audio output that it always wants to default toward anyway. 

I know it sucks to have to buy more equipment and I personally wish I had known this would be a problem before I started buying speakers, but unfortunately I think it is the only reliable way to avoid running cables across your room. 

Hope this helps!

This worked! Thank you.