Question

A definitive answer please for Google: Setting up a non Arc Projector with Apple TV and getting 5.1 - Beam or Arc - Which Splitter - If you've set this up PLEASE help us all out!

• 24 October 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have spent so much time trying to get a straight answer on how to get a 5.1 setup to work using an Apple TV and a Beam plus the ones and a sub. But the answers on this forum tend to say say what DOESN’T work and not what DOES. 

So, in order to help the not too few people out there searching (there are a half dozen unanswered/unresolved posts so there is some niche demand)..

my understanding is that:

Getting true 5.1 - Connecting an Apple TV to Arc and a Projector - Two Ones as Rear Channel, One Sub
you would need a device like this: https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/ which very specifically (and not cheaply) splits an Apple TV signal into eArc and HDMI. 

If I knew this would work I would order the Arc and that device right now. However, both are backordered.

Getting true 5.1 - Connecting an Apple TV to Beam and a Projector - Two Ones as Rear Channel, One Sub

I am unclear here, and haven’t done as much searching. It seems like you could purchase a splitter that takes HDMI from Apple TV, splits it, sends HDMI to the projector and optical audio to Beam.

It seems like this would work (???) https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Audio-Stereo-Extractor-Converter

Is this correct? 

It is probably tempting to wonder why I don’t just get a different setup. That’s fine. Here’s the why in advance, and is the reason this is a niche but real situation: 
• I have a tiny tiny apartment and the projector is the only practical space saving option
• other options within those parameters are absurdly expensive (eArc projectors etc)

Thanks so much. Please, if you have successfully set up a 5.1 situation with this combination, even if it seems super simple, please let us all know out here! 

Cheers

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @haikuluke, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community and the interest in doing this setup with Sonos. 

First of all, Sonos soundbars like Beam, Arc are designed to be connected to a TV using optical or HDMI connection. If you’d like to use a projector, yes you’d need a splitter or find a way on how you can get the video at the same time and it should be connected to your AV source. 

Let me share these threads that would be helpful and maybe some folks here can give you more suggestions. 

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/projector-connections-sonos-and-av-sources-6837641

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/projector-and-sonos-beam-6833165

Just let us know. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I feel like Sonos doesn’t really answer these questions, and chimes in without reading posts… for some reason???… should I get on a phone call or something? I have been trying for four days now to get a simple answer, and Sonos staff keep jumping on the forums and not giving me a simple answer, and in fact pointing me to other users.

It’s nothing personal, I just find it exasperating. The people on the forums don’t work for Sonos. They aren’t paid to answer *simple questions.*

I mean did you read what I wrote? Your response was: 

First of all, Sonos soundbars like Beam, Arc are designed to be connected to a TV using optical or HDMI connection. If you’d like to use a projector, yes you’d need a splitter or find a way on how you can get the video at the same time and it should be connected to your AV source

I did not ask that. I asked about true 5.1 for my setup, which I’ve invested a LOT of money in, which in turn helps to pay employees, which in turn ought to be able to answer basic questions about said set up. No I don’t want to turn to non-paid fellow purchasers for these answer. I would really prefer just to get an answer from the source! I find this “customer service” to be worse than if there was no response at all. 

There are no answers to *my specific question* for at least a half dozen forum posters, and so I’d probably translate that to hundreds of potential buyers in the real world. Why would you not want to have this simple answer out there for search results to show?

It’s bad marketing for your brand.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Without a model number for your pj I don't think anyone could give a more specific answer. Generally Sonos is not ideal for pj usage.