Answered

Projector and Sonos Beam

• 3 December 2019
  • 4 replies

Hello Everyone, 

Although I believe I know the answer based on previous topics, I wanted to confirm with the community before purchasing anything else. 

Here is my setup:

I have:

An Epson 1060 Projector (https://www.amazon.com/Epson-Cinema-brightness-speakers-projector/dp/B073S4TS4G)

Roku Premier Streaming (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HDBZN7Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

and Sonos Beam. 

The roku is directly connected to the projector. 

Am I correct in understanding I will need an HDMI Audio Extractor in order to play sounds from Roku. (This one for example. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIQER0E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2IX3RNQE846HA&psc=1 ) 

I will connect the Roku > HDMI Audio Extractor > Beam in SPDFI output and projector in HDMI output. 

Thank you for your help. 

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 5 December 2019, 20:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Hugo, hopefully the community will tag in with some suggestions, but yes, you’re understanding what’s needed correctly.

In short, the Beam needs an audio connection, and your Projector isn’t going to have an HDMI-ARC, so you’d want to get something that can take the HDMI sources, and output an Optical audio output. Ideally, one that has Dolby Digital 5.1 support, so you can get the best sound possible.

Hi there. I have a similar setup - I have an amazon FIRE STICK plugged into an SGEYR HDMI 2.0 audio extractor with an optical cable going out to my SONOS BEAM, and an HDMI out to the benq HT2050A projector. 

when I first plugged everything in, it worked fine. However, after a day, the projector started flickering every time I turn it on. 

I switched ports on the extractor, and the projector, switched out the HDMI cable, same problem. Have not switched out the audio extractor, as it is brand new. 

any suggestions?

thanks in advance!

Hello @helveticaneue, welcome to the community. The Beam should be receiving signals from the projector, but does not have the ability to send signals back to the projector.  Do you see this kind of behavior with other devices that are connected to the projector? 

Perhaps other members of this community will chime in, as they may have found workarounds to make this kind of connection work. 

It would be useful to provide a link to the particular extractor you have, it appears that there are many made by that company.

However, since the expertise on this forum leans towards audio, and not video, I’m not sure how good the responses are going to be. If you were having issues with the Beam, rather than the projector, that might be something more in line with the knowledge base here. It’s possible that there is a video forum out there that might have better insight into the flickering issue you’re experiencing. 

But it’s always worth a shot. Let us know which extractor you have, I’m sure someone here will find the manual and see what it might say.