Answered

2021 Apple TV Remote with Mute Button

• 18 October 2021
  • 3 replies

I have a Sonos Playbar with 2 Sonos Ones for surround sound. I recently bought a new “Siri Remote” made by Apple, which includes a mute button.

I have successfully paired the new Apple TV “Siri Remote” to control the volume on my Sonos (up/down), but the Sonos fails to recognize the mute command.

The previous thread on this subject was inconclusive and unhelpful, and Sonos bizarrely closed the thread without any answer or resolution…

How can I make my Sonos Playbar recognize the mute command from my Apple TV remote?

icon

Best answer by Rb.Schultz 18 October 2021, 21:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Rb.Schultz 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Please see my post on a similar topic (there are a few, I’m not sure which one you are referring to):

Threads are closed automatically when there’s no activity on them for 3 months.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7

😂 I participated in the same thread suggested by @Corry P 

My advice is to make sure what ever remote works with the Playbar (ie TV remote and/or cable remote) are programmed properly.

I have several AppleTV boxes and all I gave to do is make sure in the AppleTV remote is set to control other devices in the AppleTV menu. I’v never had to go thru a formal programing procedure as is correctly suggested by Sonos when using a TV or Cable remote for the AppleTV remote. 

It works!! Here’s how:

1. I used the Sonos App on my phone to program a new (separate) Universal Remote to control my Sonos system only (no other devices)
  2. On my Apple TV, I went to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control > Learn new Remote, and used the new Universal Remote to teach it up/down/mute.
  3. In the same location (Settings > Remotes and Devices > Volume Control), I selected the new remote for volume control.