Answered

Using Sonos as Doorbell Chime with Google Nest Doorbell or Similar

• 15 February 2023
  • 5 replies

The web is awash with all sorts of answers to similar questions, some with answers two or three years old which might as well be written on papyrus for all their relevancy to today.

So let me ask my own.

Here’s what I have now:

• 1 Google Nest Wifi Router
  • 1 Sonos 1 speaker
  • 1 crummy old wired doorbell chime

With these I can play music through my IPhone on the speaker via Nest WiFi, to which the speaker is connected. I can, sometimes, hear the crummy doorbell ring.

Now I want to add an electronic doorbell/camera to this mix.

I am looking at the Google Nest Wired doorbell.  Wired, so I don’t have to mess with batteries.  I could care less if the existing chime worked. I could even disconnect the chime itself, since it isn’t always loud enough. I want the signal from the bell to connect to the Nest Router and from there to the Sonos speaker and chime over the speaker. I see a lot of content saying you can get the doorbell to ring through a Google speaker but I don’t want to buy another speaker just for that.

So my question is, if I buy a Google Nest wired doorbell will I be able to hear the chime through my Sonos speaker, or will I be descending down a rathole of confusion and frustration?

icon

Best answer by Sotiris C. 16 February 2023, 13:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello @stevecoh1, welcome back! 🙂

I had a look around and unfortunately, there is no guaranteed information from Google that this would work.
I suggest reaching out to Google, requesting a feature that would allow the Google Nest Doorbell to target Sonos products, or something along those lines, in order to achieve the desired setup. I can see this being difficult due to demand, as you can already target Google smart speakers as you mentioned. I hope this helps.

Thank you!

I had a look around and unfortunately, there is no guaranteed information from Google that this would work.
I suggest reaching out to Google, requesting a feature that would allow the Google Nest Doorbell to target Sonos products, or something along those lines, in order to achieve the desired setup. I can see this being difficult due to demand, as you can already target Google smart speakers as you mentioned. I hope this helps.

I’ve reached out to Google, waiting to hear what they say.  Another thought occurs to me.  Is there some other electronic doorbell that you know will work with my setup?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I’m the owner of a Google Nest Doorbell (wired) and have both Sonos and Google Nest speakers at home. The chime works really well on my Google Nest speakers, alongside visitor announcements, so the Google Assistant even announces who exactly is at the front door (face recognition is available with a Nest Aware subscription at an additional cost, and you can set this up in the Google Home app). The Google Nest Hub displays the camera feed automatically when the doorbell rings, too.

I used to have Google Assistant set up on some of my Sonos speakers, but the integration is so bad (and I blame Google for that) that I’ve bought an extra Google Assistant speaker/display for every single room that has Sonos in it.

Doorbell chimes from Google Assistant don’t really work well on Sonos. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t, so I wouldn’t rely on it (or Google Assistant on Sonos altogether).

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I’ve reached out to Google, waiting to hear what they say.  Another thought occurs to me.  Is there some other electronic doorbell that you know will work with my setup?

If you’re using Google Assistant and you’re looking for a video doorbell, definitely get the Google Nest Doorbell. Other cameras “work with Google Home”, but the Google Nest Doorbell (wired or battery) is the only doorbell that automatically makes the Google Nest Hub display a camera feed when someone rings the doorbell. It’s also the only video doorbell that actually works with visitor announcements (I mentioned those in my previous reply). It’s also the only doorbell fully integrated with the Google Home app.