Question

Unable to set up google assistant

• 21 September 2019
  • 33 replies

Trying to set up Google Assistant and I am getting an endless loop trying to authenticate.

I’ve reviewed all the related topics, the only answer I’ve seen relating to my issue is a service outage, which there isn’t anything noted on the status page.

running iOS 13
updated app versions
cleared all browser history and cache
removed all music services from sonos
removed all but my primary google accounts
deleted both sonos and GA and reinstalled
rebooted

pretty frustrated, just had set up issues with Spotify just two days ago and was beyond straight forward. Setting up services shouldn’t take hours.

any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

I have had the same issue and support told me that it was related to iphone and ipad. They could not tell me when it would be fixed, but i don`t think it will be resolved dyring the weekend 😞
Userlevel 3
Badge
I have exactly this issue as well, it's been going on all weekend.
Badge
Exactly the same issue here. iOS 13, Sonos 10.4. Cant set up Google Assistant and stuck in an endless loop
Same issue all weekend for me also.
Badge
I have submitted a diagnostics report with Sonos on this one. I will update this thread with any progress.
CRC77,

I haven’t tested this myself recently, so can’t say if it might be a temporary service outage, but did you perhaps try rebooting both the local router and the speaker that you’re trying to add the GA to? Sometimes a reboot will resolve such issues, but it’s worth rebooting both the router and the speaker.
Also if you have any other WiFi access points, it’s worth switching those off temporarily, so that the mobile controller and speaker are both connected via the main router.
Badge
Thanks Ken. I factory reset the beam as part of the retesting of this bug and have no additional wi fi access points. Unsure about what rebooting the router would do? Are you suggesting the Beam doesn’t have internet access? All other wi fi appliances on the same network have access, and after the factory reset the Beam connected to the network OK and did TruePlay etc without problems (also added Apple Music as a service).
Communication between devices occurs using mDNS protocol and a router reboot can often resolve issues around that type of communication problem. That’s why I suggest rebooting the router aswell.
Badge
I'm pretty sure the issue isn't with the speakers but with the OAuth between Sonos and Google.
Because this happens when you try to connect Google to your Sonos Account.
Badge
Sonos suggested router reboot as well, and also fixed Ethernet connection both scenarios with staged power up (router first then Beam). Both options still presented me with the endless loop from the Google Assistant “Connect your Assistant to your Sonos Device” screen.

Continuing my support discussion with them.
Sonos suggested router reboot as well, and also fixed Ethernet connection both scenarios with staged power up (router first then Beam). Both options still presented me with the endless loop from the Google Assistant “Connect your Assistant to your Sonos Device” screen.

I reckon to maybe try changing the DNS on your router and use the Google DNS servers instead. Try either 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4. See if that makes any difference.
Badge

I reckon to maybe try changing the DNS on your router and use the Google DNS servers instead. Try either 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4. See if that makes any difference.

Tried with router reboot. No luck.

Edit: the process did differ slightly. The Assistant app with a Sonos site opened within it indicated that the product needs to be registered with Sonos (which it is). Then back to the loop. Just appears the handshake between Sonos and Google is not happening at all.
Badge
I had a glimmer of hope seeing a Sonos app update 10.4.1. No luck.
I had a glimmer of hope seeing a Sonos app update 10.4.1. No luck.
Just to clarify, did you change the DNS and what router is it?
Badge
Yes changed the DNS from ISP issued to the Google DNS servers for all devices on the network.

Router is a ZTE H268A.
Yes changed the DNS from ISP issued to the Google DNS servers for all devices on the network.

Router is a ZTE H268A.

In the router setup, perhaps try switching IGMP Mode to 'on' and see if that sorts it.
Badge
Thanks for the persistence. No luck again after router reboot.

Error message I am fairly consistent getting now is this: (within GA app)

[h5]”Register your speakers[/h5]
You need to link speakers to your abc@abc.com Sonos account before you can add this skill.
Go to More > Settings > Account Settings in the Sonos app. (If you don't see Sonos Account, your Sonos system needs an update.)“
That’s okay. Are you able to perhaps cable the Beam to your router and then run a further check for any Sonos App updates?

Check the “About My Sonos System” in Settings/System just to ensure all your speakers are running on the same software version and build number.
I’m having the exact problem. Called support and they told me to re-boot both router and speaker. However that has not helped at all.
have also tried to connect GA to Sonos with my IPad but without luck.
patience...
I have the same problem :(
i have rebooted my router. Still not Worning

Does anybody have any idea if iOS 13 is the problem?
Badge
Does anybody have any idea if iOS 13 is the problem?

No idea.
Badge
That’s okay. Are you able to perhaps cable the Beam to your router and then run a further check for any Sonos App updates?

Did that. No luck. Sonos support asked me to do the same.

Check the “About My Sonos System” in Settings/System just to ensure all your speakers are running on the same software version and build number.

I only have one speaker; the Beam. It is running 10.4. The iOS app is 10.4.1.

I am on my third night responding to Sonos support, and I am now getting frustrated.
So I managed to get it working again last night but I had to do 2 things in order for it to work:
1) Connect my beam directly to the router via ethernet cable
2) Add Google assistant via the Sonos app on a device with iOS 12 (both app versions the latest).

So I think it's iOS 13 related (I had trouble connecting a Google mini on iOS13), but I also had strange issues with WiFi so perhaps both steps might help you.