Question

Google assistant only works partially on Move (no Sonos specific commands recognized)

• 5 September 2020
  • 11 replies

Badge

I just set up Move with google assistant. GA recognizes the device and I can say “turn volume up/down” etc and it works. However when I say “pause music (on move)” GA says nothing is playing although it actually is. Also, cannot start any playback from Sonos (eg. TuneIn radio station or my playlists). GA says it needs more info. So GA seems to recognize the device but not Sonos.

I have removed and re-installed GA and Move (factory reset). I have tried re-linking my Sonos account to GA. No change. Any suggestions please?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @George a long time Sonos owner 

Six months ago in this post https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/google-assistant-6837609 you indicated that you had two accounts.  Is that still the case?

Badge

Thanks. Actually I have 2 Sonos systems but have only ever had one Google account. I gave up trying to set up GA on the 2nd system. So the issue I am having now is with the 1st Sonos system that used to play Sonos properly with GA (through Gen 2 One) but no longer works properly after I added the Move.

Userlevel 7

Hi @George a long time Sonos owner 

Thanks for the clarification. Can you see the Move on both Sonos systems?

Badge

The Move is new and added to the 1st system. I cannot see the 2nd system as it is 1000 miles away (but it is irrelevant in this case - when I change locations I change the system on the controller - so there is only one system on the controller).

Userlevel 7

Thanks again for the clarification.

At this juncture I suggest:

1. Deleting the Sonos skill in the Google app
  2. Signing out of the Google app
  3. Remove Google in the Sonos app from all speakers
  4. Sign into Google app
  5. Enable the Sonos skill
  6. Add Google assistant to Sonos speakers

If the above fails to correct the issue...then I suggest you submit a diagnostic, post the reference ID in this thread and contact Sonos Tech support. Let us know the outcome.

Cheers!

Badge

Thank you. I have done that and it did not resolve the issue. The diagnostic is 580105758.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Many thanks to @AjTrek1 for lending a hand here, I appreciate the expertise.

Hi @George a long time Sonos owner.

Thanks for reaching out and for providing the details.

Upon checking on the diagnostic report, it shows that the MIC status on Sonos Move is ‘inactive’ at the time the diagnostic was captured.

This situation could be due to a lot of possible causes that we will need to explore.

As per AjTrek1’s advice, it’s best to reach out to Sonos Support, so we can continue working with you in real-time.

I suggest phone support, they have more tools and resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I got  a new Sonos Move yesterday and i am having the same issue as others in that the Move recognises the GA command to awaken or give wearher but will not do SONOS specific stuff.

What is the resolution for this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @technophobe.

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear about the trouble, let me help you out.

Have you gone through with the suggestions above?

If the above advice was all followed and the issue persists, please submit a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number, I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @technophobe.

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear about the trouble, let me help you out.

Have you gone through with the suggestions above?

If the above advice was all followed and the issue persists, please submit a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number, I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Still not working..how do i submit a diagnostic?

thks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @technophobe.

Thanks for your response.

Here’s how to submit diagnostic:

Sonos app for iOS or Android

• From the Settings tab, tap Support (Help & Tips if using the Sonos S1 Controller) > Submit Diagnostics.

Sonos app for Mac or PC

• Select Help > Submit Diagnostics.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.