Answered

Google assistant music play back issues

• 1 September 2019
  • 67 replies

Userlevel 1
Help!
Google assistant works fine on my Sonos system for everything except music playback.

Assistant music playback works fine on all other devices in the house, just not Sonos.

Weather, general web enquiries all work fine, but here’s an example of the music problem:

”hey google, play Mumford and sons”

”Alright, playing Mumford and sons on YouTube music”
”sorry, I don’t know how to help with that”.

or

”hey google, play bbc radio 4 on tunein radio”

”ok, playing BBC radio 4 on tunein”
”sorry, I don’t know how to help with that yet”.

Already tried:
  • Removing and re-adding assistant
  • Removing and re-adding YouTube music
  • powering off and on Sonos speakers
  • powering off and on house router
icon

Best answer by jack_vancouver 13 September 2019, 20:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

Mine is doing the exact same thing! Just today worked yesterday, tried re installing and same deal
Userlevel 1
Yes, sure mine was working before.
Unsure if it’s a Sonos issue, an Assistant problem, or YouTube music issue?

Sonos have tried all their troubleshooting tips and no joy.

A rep is due to call me back.

Let me me know if you find a solution?
thx
Userlevel 2
I’m having the exact same issue.

Google Assistant queries like, “What’s the temperature?” work fine.

Google Assistant queries like, “Play The Rolling Stones on Spotify” do not work, but result in a response with the Assistant seeming to understand things “Playing This Is The Rolling Stones playlist on Spotify. Sorry I don’t know how to help with that.”

This is awful.
Userlevel 2
I’m having this exact issue with Spotify and TuneIn.
Did anyone figure out what the problem was?
Userlevel 1
Sonos support on Twitter DM have asked for all my hardware details and apparently someone will be in touch tomorrow to schedule a call.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, there were some playback issues over the long weekend, but I believe for now they should be resolved.

If you're still having trouble, I'd suggest that you contact the team live to troubleshoot, after you've already done the basics.
Userlevel 2
Re: The reply from Ryan: This problem existed for me before the weekend, and still exists. The device is basically broken.
Badge
Confirming I'm still having this issue after several weeks despite taking the following self-troubleshooting steps. Posting here for posterity. Contacting the support team is my next step.
  1. Restart the Sonos app; restart the Spotify app
  2. Unplug/recycle power on Sonos One
  3. Restart my phone
  4. Reauthorize Spotify account under Sonos app under Settings>My Music Services
  5. Remove and reconnect Spotify account under Sonos>Settings>My Music Services
  6. Unlink Sonos One and Sonos account from my Google Home under "Device settings" and "Manage accounts"
  7. Unlink my Assistant from all devices under "Manage accounts" *this was a drastic measure😓
  8. Set Sonos One up through the Sonos app
  9. Select "Add Voice Assistant" through the Sonos app under Settings>Room Settings>[Room Name]>Voice Services to set back up with Google Home/Assistant. Ensure it's configured to the right Home and Room - add Music Service(s)
And after all that, still get the same error message: "Sorry, I don't know how to help with that" in response to any "Play music" command.
Will update with where support leads me next...
Userlevel 1
@Ryan S Tried again this evening. No difference. Removed and re-added Google Assistant. No difference. Frustrating...
Userlevel 2
I'm still having this issue too. I did everything glaciercat outlined.

Is there a way to mark this question as not answered?
I am experiencing the same issue. Super frustrating. Has anyone fixed this yet?
Userlevel 1
I am having the exact same problem for two(ish) weeks now, since the first Google Assistant outage some time ago...

I went through everything with $support_person, and the problem is, that they can't even see me calling for music playback in any logs they might have. There's definitely a bigger problem here somewhere, and I really hope for a fix, like, soon! 😮
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi everyone, there were some playback issues over the long weekend, but I believe for now they should be resolved.

If you're still having trouble, I'd suggest that you contact the team live to troubleshoot, after you've already done the basics.

This issue is not fixed... It hasn't been working for many people for many weeks.
Userlevel 1
Badge
From the troubleshooting I did with tier-2 support, this problem seems to be related to specific Google accounts, and there is an ongoing open issue with Google about this.

Also posted about here: https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/sonos-not-working-on-google-assistant-6829259
Any updates here? Emailing with support, but I am not expecting much here... JoeYan, do you have any more details?
Im having the same issues with the GA and music play back. I either get the error that the speaker isn't available right now or the content cannot be found. Sonos want to schedule a phonecall with me at some point. If we figure out a fix I will post it here.
Userlevel 1
Badge
All I know is what a Sonos rep has told me, which is that they are aware of this issue and are communicating to Google about it as it affects more users. My recommendation would be to go through all the troubleshooting phone calls to help get this noticed by Sonos/Google to drive a quicker resolution.
Badge
I've been having the same issue for months. Sonos support has not told me that this is an issue that they are aware of, quite the opposite actually. They have referred me to Google support....and then Google says I need to talk to Sonos. Bahhhh!

If I configure everything with a new google account it all works fine. This isn't a solution naturally but it does point to an issue with the Google account itself.
Damn. That's not a great fix for me at all. I have a phonecall booked with the Sonos team tomorrow evening. The main fault I have at the mo is the GA telling me that the speaker isn't available right now if I voice command music or radio playback. But when that fault isn't happening then every other song I request I get the error this content isn't available. If I have to use a different Google account then to be honest the speaker will be returned as that's not a fix for me.
Ok so I just got off the phone with Gavin from Sonos and all I needed to do was make sure I add 'on Google play music' when I voice command content to play. Strangely if I used an alternative Google account I didn't need to add that on. Didn't have any issues with the speaker not being available this evening whilst on the phone but it would seem that it's an intermittent network issue.
Badge
That doesn't solve it for me unfortunately.
Userlevel 1
Ok so I just got off the phone with Gavin from Sonos and all I needed to do was make sure I add 'on Google play music' when I voice command content to play. Strangely if I used an alternative Google account I didn't need to add that on. Didn't have any issues with the speaker not being available this evening whilst on the phone but it would seem that it's an intermittent network issue.

Doesn't solve for me unfortunately. Even when I specify 'on YouTube music' I get the same error..
Userlevel 1
Badge
Specifying the service name also does not solve this for me. Same behavior on Google Play, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn and regardless of what the default music service is set to.
So since Tuesday and my call with Sonos support , the work around we sorted now doesn't work anymore , also using my wife's account doesn't work anymore. It's actually ridiculous. I've never known anything to work so badly as this system. I've made contact again via email. If I manage to fix it again I will post on here . Especially if anything new comes up.