Answered

Google assistant music play back issues

• 1 September 2019
  • 67 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

I've had the exact same issue. When I first got my Beam and Sonos One it worked perfectly in August. 2 weeks later I am facing the exact same issue as everyone else is describing and my Sonos will no longer play from Google Music or Pandora via Google Assistant.
Userlevel 1
Email just received from Sonos, cancelling my service call tomorrow because they know they can't fix it:

Hi Jack,

I was reviewing your case prior to our call tomorrow and it looks like you are one of a handful of customers suffering from a bug that is affecting specific accounts with Google Voice Assistant and Sonos.

The unfortunate news it that currently the only work around is to use a different gmail account to get Google Voice working on the system but we have opened up the bug with Google and are providing them information around the affected customers as we encounter them. I'm unsure of an ETA of the fix yet, but we will keep on top of this with them to ensure we obtain one because we know that using another Google account is not an ideal solution.

This means that there isn't anything we can really do for this with our call tomorrow, but I've added information from your ticket to our bug report and will keep your ticket in my court as we keep on this issue. Soon as I hear an update from the Google team, and if there is anything they want us to have our users try I'll reach back out to you.

Thank you,
Brandon G
Sonos Escalations Team
Badge
I'm happy Sonos is seemingly investigating this with Google but given that this issue seems to be rare I'm not confident it will be given much of a priority at Google.

I tried flying this up the flagpole with Google and they told me there is no support for Google Assistant only Google Home devices.
This sucks.... part of the reason I got Sonos One is so I could use voice commands instead of the App. Now I have to wait again.... I can't even change emails because my gmail account is the one paying for my Google Music.
Badge
Exactly, the account you want to use for assistant is always going to be the one also paying for Google Music. Really sucks.
I am suffering the same issue with my Sonos Beam, google assistant and Spotify... Hope to see if rectified shortly, Sonos!!!
I have the exact same issue as described. 😞 Hope they fix it soon!
Badge
yep, having the same issue here. For Google Music and TuneIn.

I start thinking that it's not just "a few Google email accounts" anymore...
I'm also affected by this, exactly as the OP is describing, with TuneIn and Spotify refusing to work on Sonos - they work fine with my regular GH units. Any news from Sonos or Google on this?
Badge
I'm having a similar issue for weeks now where I can't get it to play any Spotify premium content indicating my premium membership tier doesn't support it. Works fine on my google home speaker and any other assistant device.

I ran through the same actions as "glaciercat" with no resolution... Super frustrating. Sonos we deserve a response on this. There are like 5 other threads on your forums for this same issue so its fairly widespread.

Tried the following just as Glaciercat did. no Luck!

1. Restart the Sonos app; restart the Spotify app
  2. Unplug/recycle power on Sonos One
  3. Restart my phone
  4. Reauthorize Spotify account under Sonos app under Settings>My Music Services
  5. Remove and reconnect Spotify account under Sonos>Settings>My Music Services
  6. Unlink Sonos One and Sonos account from my Google Home under "Device settings" and "Manage accounts"
  7. Unlink my Assistant from all devices under "Manage accounts" *this was a drastic measure😓
  8. Set Sonos One up through the Sonos app
  9. Select "Add Voice Assistant" through the Sonos app under Settings>Room Settings>[Room Name]>Voice Services to set back up with Google Home/Assistant. Ensure it's configured to the right Home and Room - add Music Service(s)
Userlevel 2
Same issue here. Just stopped working. Now I can’t play Sonos via asking my Google Assitant (Hub) and being told it can’t do this yet. Awesome, Sonos can’t fix it - come on guys!
Userlevel 1
Badge
No resolution here either. (https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/sonos-not-working-on-google-assistant-6829259) Very frustrating.
Same problem for me too with Spotify here in Sweden... 😕
It's been a month. I assume it'll never get fixed.
Add me to the list of affected customers, bought two sonos one gen2s three days ago contacted google yesterday they said to talk to sonos come here and see this... and of course I threw the boxes away so returning them will probably be a pain.
Any update on that yet?
Google assistant music playback worked fine till September, and now all I get is the dreaded "Sorry I can't help with that yet" message.

A lot of back and forth with Sonos support with no resolution.

As a customer of 11 years this is the first time that I have been disappointed with Sonos. Don't want that to become a trend, especially with increasing competition from Amazon smart speakers etc.

Sonos, get on it and get it fixed!
Any update on that yet?
Google assistant music playback worked fine till September, and now all I get is the dreaded "Sorry I can't help with that yet" message.

As a customer of 11 years this is the first time that I have been disappointed with Sonos. Don't want that to become a trend, especially with increasing competition from Amazon smart speakers etc.

This was my way of solving ‘Google Assistant on Sonos’ issues. See link ..,

https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/sonos-not-working-on-google-assistant-6829259#post16363804

Any update on that yet?

This was my way of solving ‘Google Assistant on Sonos’ issues. See link ..,

https://en.community.sonos.com/google-assistant-and-sonos-229109/sonos-not-working-on-google-assistant-6829259#post16363804

I have done as you suggested making sure I followed down to all little details twice. It hasn't helped.
I just purchased new SONOS move , and I am experiencing the same issue with Google Assistant.
It works fine with Google home, but can not connect to Sonos move to play music, only volume controle and informative questions are being handled.
I tried also Amaxon Alexa - same results.
It is really frustrating.
Please advice if any solution is available.
same issue here. Google assistant was working very nicely with Spotify on my Beam. And then all of the sudden about 3-4 weeks ago. I got the dreaded "Sorry I can't help with that" Ive unlinked, re-linked, re-authorized. nothing seems to work. Would love to know if its a google issue or a sonos issue. Very Frustrating.
I am having the same problem still... Any solutions before I throw out my Beam!?
I am having the same problem still... Any solutions before I throw out my Beam!?
Did you try this?

This actually did the trick for me. Thank you. All I did was the first step which was removing google assistant from my sonos app. Then re-added it back and set it up again and that seemed to work for me and Spotify. Appreciate it
Bought a Sonos One after some hemming & hawing - bluetooth speakers just seem a lot simpler, but I figured sound quality and ability to link speakers across the house independently of phone would be worth it. Using the Sonos app seemed annoying, but not such a big deal if I could control most actions via Google Assistant...

Of course, I'm having the exact same issue as everyone else here, immediately out of the box. The troubleshooting steps didn't help me either. Pretty frustrating, after an hour of trying to fix it, likely going to return it tomorrow.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

One of many issues but a fix doesn't seem to be top of they're priorities. I would urge anyone thinking of getting into Sonos for Google assistant to think again.