Skip to main content

Why have I have lost access to my music library on both Sonos S1 and S2 products?

I lost access to my music library (on my Mac Mini) after 7pm tonight - it appeared to coincide with an update on our MacBook (that I couldn’t avoid).

I have now lost access to my Music Library on both my S1 and S2 products - anyone know why that might be?

These are the messages I get:

S1

‘// Jamess-Mac-Mini/Music’ is no longer available. The device where the music files are stored may not be powered on, or the path my have changed.
Go to settings>System>Music Library>Music Library Setup to check the pat
h.

The only options I get are to add/delete a music library

S2

Sonos was unable to add the music folder

Unable to add the shared folder “James-Mac-mini/Music” to your Music Library (913)

As I said, all was working until around 7pm tonight, then everything stopped. So disappointed.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

59 replies

I have a variant on this issue.  Sonos lost my music library too, so I've been trying to add it.  I have Windows 10, and my iTunes music library is on a NAS that supports SMB2.  The IP address of the NAS is 192.168.1.9.

If I tell Sonos to look at \\192.168.1.9\Share\iTunes\Music, then it finds and indexes all the music.  But it doesn't import any playlists, because the playlist information isn't in that folder.

If instead I tell Sonos to look at \\192.168.1.9\Share\iTunes - which I'm sure is what it used to do before it lost my library - then that briefly appears to be successful.  But then seconds later I get the error message "... is no longer available. The device where the music files are stored may not be powered on, or the path my have changed."

Any ideas?

I have a variant on this issue.  Sonos lost my music library too, so I've been trying to add it.  I have Windows 10, and my iTunes music library is on a NAS that supports SMB2.  The IP address of the NAS is 192.168.1.9.

If I tell Sonos to look at \\192.168.1.9\Share\iTunes\Music, then it finds and indexes all the music.  But it doesn't import any playlists, because the playlist information isn't in that folder.

If instead I tell Sonos to look at \\192.168.1.9\Share\iTunes - which I'm sure is what it used to do before it lost my library - then that briefly appears to be successful.  But then seconds later I get the error message "... is no longer available. The device where the music files are stored may not be powered on, or the path my have changed."

Any ideas?

Just export the .xml file from iTunes and place that in the library folder structure and see if that resolves your issue. See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/itunes-playlists-missing-from-sonos-library-on-usb-drive

Any ideas?

Just export the .xml file from iTunes and place that in the library folder structure and see if that resolves your issue. See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/itunes-playlists-missing-from-sonos-library-on-usb-drive

Thanks Ken.  Yes, I can probably do that as a quick fix, but I’ll have to redo it every time the playlists change (I use dynamic playlists, so they change often).  A more robust solution should be possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks Ken.  Yes, I can probably do that as a quick fix, but I’ll have to redo it every time the playlists change (I use dynamic playlists, so they change often).  A more robust solution should be possible.

I don’t use iTunes personally, or the .xml file format. I just manually create my own .m3u playlists instead, from time to time, with no ‘directive extensions’.

Using the basic .m3u format, with straightforward UNC paths direct to each of the chosen local music library tracks, entered as a single ‘one-line’ entry, I am able to get a 25,000+ track playlist to load to a Sonos player queue in a matter of a few seconds, well within the 15 second timeout period.

The iTunes playlists from the .xml file always seemed slow to load for me and not compatible with some other Apps/Players.

I think exporting the .xml file to the library folder structure and re-indexing every so often though, is probably the simplest method, if you change playlists often, or add new ones regularly.

Userlevel 2
Badge

So now here is a new twist… I still cannot add my entire music library on my NAS drive to Sonos using the Sonos desktop application for Windows. However, I discovered that I CAN add individual folders below the top level folder of my library. Sonos sees those folders and will play the files in them. For some reason, the application is not seeing the music files in the subfolders below the root folder of my library unless those folders are directly selected. This is something but it is not very practical to add each folder separately as there are a lot of folders in my library. And if the root folder is not being picked up, my iTunes playlists are also not being found by Sonos. At least I know Sonos is able to access my NAS.

Same. Just found my music library was deleted. Post it on social media. Only way to get their attention. 

Same. Just found my music library was deleted. Post it on social media. Only way to get their attention. 

Maybe it’s to do with the message Sonos put out in early April? (See attached). Perhaps see if the old desktop controller App will work for you (if you have a PC/Mac available to use, as a test).

I booted up my old PC which had the old Sonos controller app on it.  Told ne to update, and wouldn't boot up with the old version running.

I booted up my old PC which had the old Sonos controller app on it.  Told ne to update, and wouldn't boot up with the old version running.

So perhaps simply delete the old version and install the latest version from Sonos here…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/downloads

My point being, with the old version I could access my music library on my PCs hard drive. At the moment that has just disappeared as an option. That's why I'd like to use the old controller.

My point being, with the old version I could access my music library on my PCs hard drive. At the moment that has just disappeared as an option. That's why I'd like to use the old controller.

Ah, dunno then - the desktop App here sees the local library, as does the new Sonos Web App too. Maybe contact Sonos Support and see if they can perhaps assist you. Here’s the link to contact them:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Userlevel 2
Badge

I was not able to add and index a network stored library.  Same error messages as other posters - share not available. I have a boost plugged into my router and Sonosnet to 8 play 1s.

I turned everything off, hardwired a Single play to the router and was able to add and index the share.   I wondered if something on Sonos net drops the connection to the network drive whilst running the index.  I imagine the boost cannot run the index itself and pushes it to a play 1 over sonos net .  Just a thought.

my problem now is that with the new app my local library appears and disappears on the Home Screen like Houdini - now you see it ... 

I was not able to add and index a network stored library.  Same error messages as other posters - share not available. I have a boost plugged into my router and Sonosnet to 8 play 1s.

I turned everything off, hardwired a Single play to the router and was able to add and index the share.   I wondered if something on Sonos net drops the connection to the network drive whilst running the index.  I imagine the boost cannot run the index itself and pushes it to a play 1 over sonos net .  Just a thought.

my problem now is that with the new app my local library appears and disappears on the Home Screen like Houdini - now you see it ... 

What happens if you switch from wired (SonosNet) mode to wireless mode, as mentioned in the second part of this support document? Does it then work for you?

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/switch-sonos-between-a-wireless-and-wired-setup

Userlevel 2
Badge

I tried running my system on wifi yesterday ,  but the music streams were very patchy and unstable and I immediately went back to Sonosnet.

I didn't explicitly check whether I could access the local library or if I used Qobuz at time    Sorry :(

Any ideas?

I don’t use iTunes personally, or the .xml file format. I just manually create my own .m3u playlists instead, from time to time, with no ‘directive extensions’.

Using the basic .m3u format, with straightforward UNC paths direct to each of the chosen local music library tracks, entered as a single ‘one-line’ entry, I am able to get a 25,000+ track playlist to load to a Sonos player queue in a matter of a few seconds, well within the 15 second timeout period.

The iTunes playlists from the .xml file always seemed slow to load for me and not compatible with some other Apps/Players.

I think exporting the .xml file to the library folder structure and re-indexing every so often though, is probably the simplest method, if you change playlists often, or add new ones regularly.

Just to let you know: copying the iTunes Library.xml file into the Music folder didn’t work.  The playlists still weren’t picked up.  I tried copying iTunes Library.itl into the Music folder too, but that still didn’t work.

I know that various fixes are promised in the next month or so, so I’ll probably just sit tight and hope that the problem sorts itself out.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I think I solved the issue I was having with the Sonos Windows desktop controller not being able to access my music library on my NAS drive. I have been following Ken_Griffiths suggestion of putting the iTunes Music Library.xml file in the root folder of my music library so that Sonos would pick up my iTunes playlists for many years. For backup purposes, I also copied my iTunes Library.itl and .iTunes Preferences.plist files to that folder. Apparently the Sonos controller now chokes on the latter two files. I deleted all three iTunes files from my NAS music library folder then tried to add the library to Sonos. Success! All of my music files were there in the Sonos controller. Next, I copied my iTunes Music Library.xml file back into the root folder and forced a music library update in the controller. Success! My iTunes playlists are now back and accessible in both the Sonos desktop controller and in the new ios app. Now I guess I will have to wait to be able to manage my music library from the ios app but this is now a minor inconvenience rather than a major one.

Quoting shb65, “Just to let you know: copying the iTunes Library.xml file into the Music folder didn’t work.  The playlists still weren’t picked up.  I tried copying iTunes Library.itl into the Music folder too, but that still didn’t work.”

After you copied your iTunes Music Library.xml file into your music folder, did you force the Sonos controller to do a music library update? The controller won’t see your iTunes playlists until you update. Also, based on my recent experience, I would recommend not copying the iTunes Library.itl file into your music library folder as it now seems to cause problems in Sonos and does not appear to be needed to import your playlists into the Sonos controller.

murobertson wrote: “After you copied your iTunes Music Library.xml file into your music folder, did you force the Sonos controller to do a music library update? The controller won’t see your iTunes playlists until you update.

The answer is yes, I did, and it didn’t work.  But encouraged by your message I tried again, and now it’s worked.  I’ve absolutely no idea what’s changed since last time, but I have my playlists back - thank you!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Glad to hear it worked!

I have spent thousands of dollars on Sonos equipment, and now I can’t dependably listen to music I own. 

• After App update I kept receiving errors when trying to play music off of my local network library.  The settings on the app have nothing for managing the library access, or updating the library.  Eventually, after a week or so, it started working again magically.  Still no options to update anything related to the library.
  • Comcast was doing work in my neighborhood yesterday, and I could not listen to music on my local network because the stupid Sonos app could not connect to the internet. I did not need anything from the internet, the music and the damn Sonos devices are all connected to the local network.

To hell with Sonos. 

I bought their equipment, I told others to buy their equipment.  Now they are moving away from letting me use the equipment the way I want.  Bait and switch.  Maybe this will encourage some people to start working on some open source projects and equipment.  It seems for the amount of money this equipment costs it ought to be possible to build something just as good that does not rely on having the manufacturer interfering with how you use it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

The point is, and with thanks and all due respect to those who have shared their experiences and expertise with work around solutions, we shouldn’t have to do ANYTHING extra to enjoy the products we bought from Sonos.

Userlevel 1

Hey everyone who has lost My Music I have an idea. Let’s get a class action lawsuit against Sonos. 

I have p pieces of Sonos that I cannot use with my music. This is *! I call for  them to axe the the idiot CEO. I emailed him and not reply. Their app has always been *. I cannot count the times I had friends over and go to play music and it will not find my speakers. I think Sonos should by our Sonos products back. Everyone let folks know that Sonos does not work and support is crap. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Not sure about everyone else  but an update last week, and suddenly my own music library was available again. I still don't like the new Android app though. Not as user friendly as the previous version.

The Sonos app on my iPhone has changed out of all recognition.

Despite updating software (on my Sonos 1’s ??) no facility to play music from my home NAS (//NAS/Public/iTunes).

Searched on the Community and found this topic.

Booted up Sonos Controller on Windows laptop, mandatory software update (I really feared the worst) but straight access to my NAS music playlists and music tracks play fine using the Controller.

iPhone IOS app displays the music track that I have selected and playing from the Controller, I can pause and restart the current track but no options to select anything else (i.e. no access to my NAS library).

May just be coincidence but the Sonos Windows laptop Controller has the gold coloured ‘app logo’ whereas on the iPhone my gold app logo has changed to black (probably via one of the recent app updates ?). When I was messing around trying to update iPhone app software it even prompted me to try downloading the Sonos S1 (grey app logo) app, which I did but still no success. (This brings back recall of a major app change a few years ago when Sonos had to row back and give access to NAS files for old S1s via the gold logo app).

I’m still none the wiser about the iPhone app solution - my daughter is ok as she streams from Spotify but I have ~3,500 albums in my NAS iTunes library ...

I tried to contact Sonos Support via telephone but was told the wait time was estimated at 110 minutes ...

@Billym44 Not sure about everyone else  but an update last week, and suddenly my own music library was available again. I still don't like the new Android app though. Not as user friendly as the previous version.

Is your music library stored on a NAS ??