Skip to main content
Question

Unable to download update, unable to login as “owner”

Unable to login as the system owner. I’ve had the same devices on the same internet, under the same profile, for four years.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

85 replies

Userlevel 1

Just updated app and iPhone pushed an update so everything up to date. Factory reset speaker, still in loop. WTF Sonos fix your sh•t!!!

THIS IS MADNESS! They need to fix this immediately! GRRRRRRRR.

god, this ecosystem is hot garbage.

Anyone hear of a fix? For some reason I’ve lost my sub and when I try to add it, I go into the “log in as owner” loop. Frustrating to say the least.

Same problem here. Terrible. Considering trying to send it back as it’s basically softlocked.
Any news from Sonos or radio silence?

Been trying for about an hour on phone, tried on iPad, still no luck. 

0/10

Figured it out on my end. 

1. reset device to factory settings. 

2. reset the Sonos app. Delete and reinstall
  1. Sign into Sonos app BEFORE connecting device. 

2. once signed in set up device.  

3. update software on device. 

4. hope this helps!! 

I have been on support calls for 2.5 hrs over the last 2 days with no luck. They had me buy a new router (!), factory reset everything, use different controller devices (iPad and iPhone), clear cache etc. and still stuck in this loop.

They told me this was the first time they’d seen this (clearly untrue, based on these comments) and that there was no time commitments but they’re working on fixing their apps. And that it was up to me to continually call back (usually 60 min wait 59 get through) to see if/when it was fixed!

Are you kidding me Sonos? I had all the wires done behind the wall, spent thousands setting it up it was working beautifully and then you decided, for whatever reason, to mandatory update your software and now nothing works! I just can't. 

Something fishy going on. Tried iPhone 11, iPad, Samsung phone…
If it’s not the ‘sign in with registered user’ error it’s an error message. 
What on Earth is going on? 
Going to try rate the Ray low stars, unfortunately not under warranty anymore so I can’t return it, Sonos seems to have broken their product lol.

Time for me to shop for new speakers . Any other recommendations? My Play1’s sound great but always had issues with app was hoping this new app updated would fix things . Now it’s bricked . 

Figured it out on my end. 

1. reset device to factory settings. 

2. reset the Sonos app. Delete and reinstall
  1. Sign into Sonos app BEFORE connecting device. 

2. once signed in set up device.  

3. update software on device. 

4. hope this helps!! 

This finally worked… make sure you add each speaker one at time, Thanks DESTINOnyc!

Same issue here. I have just changed my WiFi router. Glad I am not mad. Seems to be an issue with app I guess

I’m having the same update/login issue. I’ve done factory resets, rebooted my router, deleted and reinstalled app, etc.  Like others, I’ve not had issues in the past. Has anyone had help from support?

I’m having the same update/login issue. I’ve done factory resets, rebooted my router, deleted and reinstalled app, etc.  Like others, I’ve not had issues in the past. Has anyone had help from support?

So I deleted the app and factory reset my beam. I then re installed the app and then managed to connect ok. Once I had the beam connected I factory reset my roam was able to get that connected too. Took bloody ages but got there in the end 

Userlevel 1

So I have tried every suggestion everyone has made multiple times. Sonos get your **** together!!! I just received a coupon from Bose!!! Even they know you’re having issues and they are flooding inboxes with offers!!! I’m about ready, this is BS!!!

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

I was able to install the update still using the macOS app.

How do you access the Mac app?

This is beyond a joke Sonos! My entire system is now bricked as I had the misfortune of having to replace my router at home. Why break what was working! I have been a Sonos customer for over 15 years, and this is really poor form! 

I have the same issue, so frustrating :(  I’ve first set up my device and it didn’t appear in the app and then this issue started to appear 😅 I thought Sonos is supposed to be good 

I have managed to get my system back up and running (for now) by transferring the ownership to myself (the same email address). I was then able to update everything and get it working again. This may have been more luck but thought I would mention it after spending several hours stuck in the same loop as you all.

Userlevel 1

I will try that, one of the issues now (it’s changed a bit) the system sees the speaker and nose it needs an updated so it pushes you right into hoop. Every time I log in. When I delete everything I can get it but then how can I access the speaker to transfer ownership? Never realized I needed an IT degree to turn up a Sonos system. Thanks for everything Sonos. 

I transferred the account before I re added the speakers. It took me a while to find it in the new app. On the system settings tab, there is a small manage text which I assumed was a heading. Within this menu is a transfer account link.

Userlevel 1

I’ll take a look, I only have about 20 hours into it so what’s a few more. Thanks again Sonos!!!

Not sure if this will help anyone or not, but it might.

I updated the app on my iphone and was stuck in the sign in as account owner loop. I did a live chat that didn’t help at all. He escalated and told me to call phone support. (why doesn’t chat have the same capabilities as phone support? Just dumb if you ask me) But before that he had me rest it and create a new system. It was still showing not connected and not showing my speaker. 

I remembered I had the old app on my ipad so I got on my ipad and was able to use the old app to update the software and get my speaker back connected to my account. Once I did all that I deleted the new app on my phone, deleted cached data and redownloaded the app. When I signed in my speaker was there and I was able to readd all my services and finally get my speaker working again!

Hope this helps someone!

Thanks this helped!

Was eventually able to restore and complete all updates. Really awkward and clunky. But now the true tuning feature doesn’t seem to be working.