Sonos update and Sirius channels not playing

After the recent Sonos update, Sirius channels will not play through the speaker.

Please advise of the fix for the Sirius channels not playing through the Sonos speaker after one proceeds with the most recent Sonos update.  Thanks.

Moderator edit: combined posts

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @felix489 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

We were not able to reproduce this issue.

I recommend you reboot the speaker(s) by removing power for a moment. If that does not improve matters, please reboot your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds.

I hope this helps.

I did this with a Sonos representative and the speaker does not play Sirius channels. It does play Sonos radio. Thanks anyway. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @felix489 

Understood.

Please try removing Sirius from your SonosXM system, then add it once more. Settings » Services & Voice » SiriusXM » Remove Account. Then, Settings » Services & Voice » Add a service » SiriusXM.

It may also help to make sure you are not using saved favourites, but are browsing the SiriusXM container from the Browse section of the Sonos app, or from Search. If this works, please re-save your favourites.

I hope this helps.

Tried this as well with the Sonos rep to no avail.Thanks though. Have no favorites saved. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If anyone still has trouble playing SiriusXM (NOT from a Favorite) please share the exact channel you are having trouble with.

This happens with all

sirrusxm channels . I acknowledge it 3 times then it will play. Once it has played a station once it will be fine until you try another session, another day etc

Same problem for me.  I’ve rebooted, re-added etc, still getting the encoding problem error message.  This is very frustrating.  It’s like there was a change and now it’s incompatible.  SiriusXM works everywhere else, cars, phone app etc…  

Yeah, I've also attempted all of the recommended troubleshooting steps,  with no success. Now, the last time that I tried reauthorize SiriusXM, I get this message. Very unhappy with Sonos right now. 

Same here.  Such nonsense.  I’m so sick of all these incessant problems that make using these products more of a nuisance than an enjoyment.  I’m done spending my life with Sonos support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Same here.  Such nonsense.  I’m so sick of all these incessant problems that make using these products more of a nuisance than an enjoyment.  I’m done spending my life with Sonos support.

It is Sirius’ problem to solve, what does their support say?

Yesterday, I was having the same issues as reported in this thread and I performed all the remedies as suggested to no avail. However, mine seems to be working now.

Hi All

Same issue with Sirius.  Both on my Android and Apple phones.  Sirius works as a stand alone app, but not through Sonos App.

I tried rebooting, reinstall as others here with the same results.

Hopefully someone can find a fix?

Userlevel 2

Same problem here, when trying to play Sirius channels on Sonos I get “unable to….” message, retry once or twice and it usually then does play.  Unfortunately that means can’t use Sirius on any alarms.

Same issue here. Seems to happen most frequently with SiriusXM, but has also been happening with Spotify over the last few weeks. I’ve gone through all the common fixes (reboot speakers, delete and re-add services, delete and re-add favorites), but still seeing the "Unable to play the selected item” error several times per day. This happens on my iPhone, PC laptop, and Macbook Air.

Frustrating.

I have had the same issues.  I found going to settings and the services and voice, then selecting Sirius and reauthorizing the account worked.  I had to do this on both my apple and android

Sonos keeps telling me the streaming accounts is not active.   Account is active and able to stream on everything but my Sonos.  Tried removing and reinstalling multiple times.  Still will not play.  A good paper weight is all it is right now. 

I am having the same problem with connecting to SiriusXM. 
I am ready to throw all my Sonos speakers in the trash as well! 

Userlevel 1

I was listening to SiriusXM for 10 hours yesterday, and this morning it could not load channels. I removed and attempted to add the account back. I’m able to authorize via SiriusXM’s website, but it appears something is going wrong in the handoff back to Sonos once the authorization is completed. 

I either see a message to check my network connection (which is fine.. I’m typing this and streaming Sirius from my iPhone). 

OR

The Sonos app is able to start the authorization process > I Sign in via SiriusXM.com > Sirius says OK go back to your Sonos app > Sonos app sits on the screen for a bit, then eventually says it could not add the account.

Not sure where the issue is; but something is preventing the authorization workflow from completing. 

In the queue for chat but I am expecting to hear ‘reboot your speakers’ [done] and I’m quite confident nothing has changed with my Wi-Fi since I manage it and I didn’t modify my AP configurations. 

That is exactly the same issue I am having! 

I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Userlevel 1

I pulled iOS console logs while trying to add my account back; looks like Sonos is getting a HTTP 500 from Sirius perhaps. 

I submitted my diags and waiting to chat with support.

11:02:50.633393-0800	Sonos	soap(1): getDeviceAuthToken faultcode: ns0:Client.NOT_LINKED_FAILURE, faultstring: Stop trying link code

11:02:50.634809-0800 Sonos dns(1): sonos-everest.mountain.siriusxm.com -> 45.60.32.80

11:02:50.635767-0800 Sonos control_client(1): [-,xOmittedx] getDeviceAuthToken failed, res = 8006 status = 0, httpRes = 500, tvStart = 1701543767 s 878573 us, m_tvConnectDone = 1701543772 s 878573 us, m_tvDone = 1701543777 s 878573 us, tvNow = 1701543770 s 634286 us

11:02:50.636503-0800 Sonos soap(1): - param householdId = Sonos_xOmittedx

11:02:50.637176-0800 Sonos soap(1): - param linkCode = xOmittedx

11:02:50.638561-0800 Sonos Wizard(1): Wizard transitioning to State: STATE_MUSICSERVICE_RESULT ID: 14 in Wizard: MusicServiceWizard

Same issue deleted now cant add it back

Same. I’ve done every trouble shooting suggestion to no avail. Sometimes it will work and then just stop working. So odd. It’s a major streaming service how can this be so jinky for Sonos?

Userlevel 1

Same. I’ve done every trouble shooting suggestion to no avail. Sometimes it will work and then just stop working. So odd. It’s a major streaming service how can this be so jinky for Sonos?

Outages occur but it would be nice if SXM posted system statuses somewhere so people aren’t wasting time thinking the issue is with their setup. 

It does seem like a SXM issue; I’ve been using SXM daily and the last Sonos app update was two weeks ago. (Or, perhaps SXM changed something and now Sonos needs to modify how they connect)

When working with Sonos support we tried on my iPad, and it was hanging while the SXM website was loading. Changed DNS and tried again, the workflow completed and actually added SXM to Sonos this time, but within Sonos it is still failing to load content. 

There is a continual error in the Sonos app … “-canOpenURL: failed for URL: “siriusxm:” - error: “The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error -10814.)”

Update 12/2 @ 12:34 Pacific-US; SXM is working again for me.