Question

Sonos Radio and TuneIn not working after app update

Userlevel 3
  • Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Sonos Radio and TuneIn doesn’t work after the “May update”. I have to Reauthorize both but with TuneIn I get an error and with Sonos Radio a timeout…

I have installed the old app and with the old app radios are working fine, “updated” again the app and radio doesn’t work.

Anyone could Reauthorize Sonos Radio or TuneIn with the new app?

19 replies

Userlevel 1

I'm posting the same thing all over this forum in order to raise visibility and get assistance. I have had exactly the same problem since the new Sonos app went live yesterday. I've been playing premium Di.FM stations through TuneIn on Sonos through years. I logged in to Sonos yesterday and in addition to finding a (very unintuitive) interface, TuneIn had been completely removed. I had to reinstall an android app for it, then figure out the custom URLs for my Di.fm stations. I added those to TuneIn and it's still playing ads. I refuse to pay $13/month for a service (TuneIn) that is literally an intermediary between Di.fm and Sonos. When I go back to the Sonos app, TuneIn still isn't linking the custom URLs that I put into the library and now I'm getting ads every minute for a service I pay for. Please add support for custom URL stations to Sonos as soon as possible so that we're not getting trapped behind a paywall (TuneIn) for a service that is already available through Sonos Radio and iHeartRadio. 

Same problem for me with “myTuner Radio” and TuneIn after the installation of the new application.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Same here - none of my TuneIn Radio favorites work. Don’t worry. They’ll get to it in the July or August update. This is clearly a beta product that they released. It is just awful and does not live up to the quality that usually comes with Sonos. I am embarrassed for them. Love the 4 icon tile view in favorites using a 6.5” iPhone. I’ll just scroll for 2 minutes to find what I want. And the single play button within touching an icon? How stupid is that? I hit the icon, I would like to play it thank you. Bring back the list view of favorites or at least allow it as a toggle to the friggin icon view.

Same problem here - not happy.  Had to sit in my truck to listen to the noon news.  They better fix this soon or else there will be some Sonos products on Marketplace in my area.  And no chat reps available, and a 60 minute wait for support.  

Userlevel 4
Badge

Sonos and TuneIn Internet Radio have been completely down for a week! How do they not think a complete service disruption doesn’t escalate to a Sev1 importance level? Unbelievable. Class action lawsuit time is now.

Userlevel 1

Potentially the biggest irony here is that historically speaking, Sonos has always done significant alpha and beta testing with their user base before rolling out new features or making significant changes to the UI. How were these things not caught long before they pushed the new version of the app out?

Userlevel 4
Badge

The must have outsourced their support (and possibly development) to India where they pay the worker $300 a month.

same here,  all my tune in live radio in favorites are not working after the May24 update. message says something went wrong!  

Welcome from Ukraine.

Same problem here, using Sonos Play1 (5pic) and Play5 (gen2) TuneIn + Di.FM since 2009.

NOW it’s totally NOT working.

Userlevel 4
Badge

They seem to have fixed TuneIn Radio today. Still hate the giant icon view and the redundant ‘play’ button within everything. User experience people. I can see a whole 4 fri$#%# huge icons on a 6.5 inch iPhone! I’m now using SonosPhone $3 from App Store until Sonos gets their interface fully working again. All the favorites are in one location in List View instead of annoyingly large icon view. Looks like an interface designed for a 5 year old. Embarrassing.

Incredibly frustrated with the new app. Despite the fact that I’m running the latest software on my system and iPhone I have to use the legacy app on my laptop or iPhone that has not got the latest app to connect to DHR a custom url to the site that I have had for ages and pay for. 
I get the spinning wheel of death on the new app for the live station. I have reached out to the owner through Patreon, who was unaware of the issue and unable to help. This takes away from the entire Sonos experience , of which I have seven speakers &  Is a total disregard For the end user. 
If I’m reading correctly above, it appears that in July or August there will be a fix. Is this just conjecture or fact?

This is incredibly annoying. It’s obviously very poor planning in the development cycle as at least regression testing should be done to ensure that what functionality is core to the listening community persists rather than make us all excited to get the latest and greatest app and yet have it lack features and functionality.  Clearly not ready for prime time. Really frustrating .  

Badly botched update. Radio’s ruined here: I can only connect to my favorite listen-supported stations using TuneIn - any attempt with myTuner throws an unspecified “something went wrong” error repeatedly. I can’t even listen to my Bandcamp purchases half the time, and when they do play, it takes upwards of ten seconds to start. I really wish I could roll back - I guess I’ll need to use the laptop more now, or maybe check out those alternatives on the App Store.

Badge

Do something about the radio. Nothing seems to be working mytuner and tunein are off. So frustrated. You aimed for improvement and landed in frustration. Wtf

Userlevel 1

UK Sonos user here.

I work in the British hi-fi / audio industry, and I can report that is there huge anger and frustration following this update. Long-term customers are incensed about the loss of functionality regarding TuneIn and other commonly used services, the new app interface is universally hated, and the entire update is regarded as a massive backward step.

If we are being used as Beta Testers, then I hope Sonos read the writing on the wall and do something fast. Rollback the app to the previous version, apologise profusely, and do some proper user testing before releasing the next version. Make improvements, yes, but change for the sake of change is pointless.

In the industry, the key selling point of Sonos was that it just works - this is no longer the case, thanks to this update, and new multi-room streaming brands like WiiM are cheaper, just as functional and feature-rich, and are coming up fast.

Personally, I have seven Sonos devices and my family all loved our home system pre-update. Thanks to this update, all the goodwill has evaporated, and i’m having to troubleshoot daily. Please sort it out asap.

I have the same issue after the update:-(.  After a bit of testing I found out that non of the radio station/services are working. For years I used myTuner Radion as defualt for my Sonos …    please Sonos fix the radion asap! 

I have the same problem. I am a TuneIn premium subscriber and even that doesn't authorise. When I add the TuneIn content service and login it says "All set, Sonos is connected" and my account is connected on the tune in website, but when I go back to the sonos app it says "TuneIn (new) wasn't added, Something went wrong please try again".

This happened after the new Sonos app update so I can only assume Sonos is at fault not TuneIn. Fix it immediately!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the same problem.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos music came on at 01:30 for no reason. Woke up everyone in the house.  

I can still play TuneIn stations on my Sonos system from the Sonos app on my windows PC, but this is hardly a workaround. I've used the TuneIn ability to play arbitrary internet radio  URLs for years. Come on Sonos this is really poor software engineering to not test all use cases before releasing an app. Does anyone from Sonos even read these posts?