Skip to main content
Answered

New Sonos App - Utterly useless!

I’m sure it’s not just me, but it’s possibly the worst ‘update’ yet! Can’t find half of the things which were previously easy to access. It’s a big 👎from me!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

105 replies

I too find the newest app for Android to be prone to crashing (for me, this happens when I try to select a local folder to play music from my library) and is totally not as intuitive of an interface as the old one.  The simple interface of selecting a device and applying music to it from whatever source was clear, easy and intuitive.  You’ve made the interface way to busy.  Please look into the crashing issue with the folder selection.  Thank you.

I was forced to upgrade to the new app and it’s a terrible experience. Specifically SiriusXM is not working at all. I did all the usual stuff. Any one else having this issue? Any fix? Please help!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

FYI for those new posters looking for the old version, these instructions work for Android:- 

Userlevel 2
Badge

the web app is garbage. garbage. garbage.

having spent around $5,000 on the sonos systems I can’t believe what an insult to your consumers this app “upgrade” is.

everything is working with the sonos S2 app and now 90% of the functionality is missing. I can’t fvking listen to a full directory of music on my home library. the lack of synchronization controls in rooms is like you decided to hire some imbecil to do design specs for a high end music system. fvck me with your incompetence. wtf is the que builder in the new app.

are you sure you haven’t hired some idiot as your product manager?

@Sonos please review the comments. most of us were perfectly happy withe the S2 progress and improvements - do not go to the web app until you can figure out how to control the system from a pc and from an android app. I am scared to “upgrade” my controller app on the PC because it’s the only thing that still works well.

fix this Sh*t @Sonos 

A plead for help! - I followed @Thomass  advice & rolled my Android software back to the old version of S2 - The new version was totally useless for me & several years of fine tuning my setup were gone 😭
I was very pleasantly surprised to find that “most” of my stuff returned to normal when the old S2 was installed - I say “most”, because the main thing that I use Sonos for is my music collection saved to a NAS & streamed to Sonos via Local Folders - HOWEVER, I cannot access my Local Folders from the Music & Content list & when I try to “Add a service” I get a message: “App Update Needed - Update the Sonos App to the latest version. You may have limited functionality until the update is complete” - I am given the option to “Update” or “Not Now” - Selecting the latter just takes you back to the “Add a service” screen?
Is there a way to access my music without updating the App or do I just have to wait for the App to get sorted, which based on what I read here & elsewhere could be quite some time / never? 😤
Paul

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

A plead for help! - I followed @Thomass  advice & rolled my Android software back to the old version of S2 - The new version was totally useless for me & several years of fine tuning my setup were gone 😭
I was very pleasantly surprised to find that “most” of my stuff returned to normal when the old S2 was installed - I say “most”, because the main thing that I use Sonos for is my music collection saved to a NAS & streamed to Sonos via Local Folders - HOWEVER, I cannot access my Local Folders from the Music & Content list & when I try to “Add a service” I get a message: “App Update Needed - Update the Sonos App to the latest version. You may have limited functionality until the update is complete” - I am given the option to “Update” or “Not Now” - Selecting the latter just takes you back to the “Add a service” screen?
Is there a way to access my music without updating the App or do I just have to wait for the App to get sorted, which based on what I read here & elsewhere could be quite some time / never? 😤
Paul

Hi Paul,

You’re right, this doesn’t appear to be available - I’ve disabled all updates and trying to add any service comes up with ‘this is not available at the moment’.

Without knowing your actual set-up, it’s hard to suggest a work-around to this.

However, as my pc system is Windows the option exists to connect to a Windows share which is easy to spot on the first menu of the Sonos Controller for PC (ver 16.1) as ‘Windows Media’  - your NAS can, I believe, be one of those shares. This also appears on my Android App under the ‘Browse’ 🎵 selection once configured.

Regards,

Thomas.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

the web app is garbage. garbage. garbage.

having spent around $5,000 on the sonos systems I can’t believe what an insult to your consumers this app “upgrade” is.

everything is working with the sonos S2 app and now 90% of the functionality is missing. I can’t fvking listen to a full directory of music on my home library. the lack of synchronization controls in rooms is like you decided to hire some imbecil to do design specs for a high end music system. fvck me with your incompetence. wtf is the que builder in the new app.

are you sure you haven’t hired some idiot as your product manager?

@Sonos please review the comments. most of us were perfectly happy withe the S2 progress and improvements - do not go to the web app until you can figure out how to control the system from a pc and from an android app. I am scared to “upgrade” my controller app on the PC because it’s the only thing that still works well.

fix this Sh*t @Sonos 

Well said!

DON’T update the PC Controller, I did and it’s just as bad and luckily I had a saved copy of the last S2 ver 16.1 to revert back to. 

Have to say I pity the support staff having to deal with this which is obviously a management fail on an epic scale...

A plead for help! - I followed @Thomass  advice & rolled my Android software back to the old version of S2 - The new version was totally useless for me & several years of fine tuning my setup were gone 😭
Paul

Hi Paul,

You’re right, this doesn’t appear to be available - I’ve disabled all updates and trying to add any service comes up with ‘this is not available at the moment’.

However, as my pc system is Windows the option exists to connect to a Windows share which is easy to spot on the first menu of the Sonos Controller for PC (ver 16.1) as ‘Windows Media’  - your NAS can, I believe, be one of those shares. This also appears on my Android App under the ‘Browse’ 🎵 selection once configured.

Regards,

Thomas.

Hi Thomas & thanks for the speedy reply - I do have Sonos on my Windows laptop, but not sure if I ever used it, relying solely on the App - It shows S2 V14.2 at present & as per the attached screenshot, is demanding I upgrade the software to the latest software? - Failing to do this results in the program not working with most / nearly all the options greyed out - I wanted to ask here first if it was ok to run the upgrade on the PC or will I end up with a PC version of the unusable new software?

Thank you … Paul

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Paul

Hi Paul,

Regards,

Thomas.

Hi Thomas & thanks for the speedy reply - I do have Sonos on my Windows laptop, but not sure if I ever used it, relying solely on the App - It shows S2 V14.2 at present & as per the attached screenshot, is demanding I upgrade the software to the latest software? - Failing to do this results in the program not working with most / nearly all the options greyed out - I wanted to ask here first if it was ok to run the upgrade on the PC or will I end up with a PC version of the unusable new software?

Thank you … Paul

Hi again, sadly running that update will force the new desktop version which is the same as the useless app. I double checked the support section but it doesn’t look like they’re offering the latest S2 v16.1 for download now but I did save it just before they removed it. I’ve put a copy here which should work for you - just run the setup and it should overwrite the existing version you have. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aBQZF1u_HD-vTsR3o3nZw8UOSvv7EdZ7/view?usp=sharing Let me know if you have a problem downloading the file.

Hope that helps!

Hi Thomas & thanks again for the speedy reply - I downloaded your linked file & updated the PC version of Sonos Controller - I can’t however find what you referred to above:

I can’t see what you are referring to as the “first menu” so can’t get any further? - I definitely have ver 16.1 running, but notice on the drop down menu for “Manage” almost all the options including “Music Library Settings” & “Service Setting” & “Settings” are greyed out with only “Check For Software Updates” & “Change Language” usable?

The Select a Music Source (on the right) has all my usual sources for music including my Playlist but does NOT have the Folders one I used to have to browse saved music files on my NAS?
While picking your brains, is it possible to save / export my Playlist?

Cheers … Paul

Userlevel 3
Badge

Not a very constructive thread, no idea which features are being referred to here🤷‍♂️. Sonos cannot fix whatever it is you maybe referring too, without the detail.

Perhaps provide more information in more depth, post some screenshots/give examples and make some suggestions for improvement and state what you’d like to see in the new App.  Many folk complained about the last S2 App too and this new App is intended to reflect what Sonos users have asked for - so ask away and let Sonos know what you want to see.

I think the issue is that the OP is stating the most accurate description possible of the scenario. “The app is useless”. I have absolutely no functionality at all. Zero. Anything i try to do in the app simply resorts to playing Taylor Swift in my bedroom. You can’t list every single piece of functionality as not working under those circumstances.
The answer isn’t to fix a list of things. It is to roll it back and test it again BEFORE taking it to market.
How this app made it to market through testing is beyond me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Thomas & thanks again for the speedy reply - I downloaded your linked file & updated the PC version of Sonos Controller - I can’t however find what you referred to above:

I can’t see what you are referring to as the “first menu” so can’t get any further? - I definitely have ver 16.1 running, but notice on the drop down menu for “Manage” almost all the options including “Music Library Settings” & “Service Setting” & “Settings” are greyed out with only “Check For Software Updates” & “Change Language” usable?

The Select a Music Source (on the right) has all my usual sources for music including my Playlist but does NOT have the Folders one I used to have to browse saved music files on my NAS?
While picking your brains, is it possible to save / export my Playlist?

Cheers … Paul

Hi again Paul,

I think you might have a problem as all my options are available and not greyed out. Regarding the Windows source, this is a screenshot of mine (I suspect you have to add it in under ‘Music Library’ and if that’s not functional therein lies the rub) :-

On the Playlist option, I’m not sure but there appears to be other discussions on here regarding that if you have a search, this one came up as possibly useful https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/new-sonos-app-missing-all-but-2-playlists-6892102#:~:text=Your%20playlists%20are%20most%20likely,(running%20in%20the%20speakers).

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help, I only hope Sonos get their act together soon!

All the best,

Thomas.

Thanks Thomas & you are correct that I don’t have “Windows Media” displayed in my “Select A Music Source” list - You are also correct that I can’t add anything, as mentioned previously - As I can at least play my Playlist via the App & don’t really use the Sonos PC Controller, I will see what happens to it when I allow it to install upgrade? - Maybe I’ll get lucky & I will be able to access the thousands of files on my NAS? - More likely I will have to wait until Sonos get their act together & release an working version of their App & PC software?

Regards … Paul 🤞

Thomas & fellow insomniacs! - I upgraded the Sonos PC Controller & it sort of works! - At least I was able to add my Music Library (on my NAS) & have access to my stored music again!
I’d still like Sonos to get the App completely sorted for the proposed June release

Cheers … Paul 🤞

Userlevel 1
Badge

Not a very constructive thread, no idea which features are being referred to here🤷‍♂️. Sonos cannot fix whatever it is you maybe referring too, without the detail.

Perhaps provide more information in more depth, post some screenshots/give examples and make some suggestions for improvement and state what you’d like to see in the new App.  Many folk complained about the last S2 App too and this new App is intended to reflect what Sonos users have asked for - so ask away and let Sonos know what you want to see.

Ken,

It’s all broken.

Hope that helps

Robin

What a pleasure……...every time I open the new app it tells me that it there is no system available, one which I spent $2000 to set up.  And, I have to go through the steps to find the system, every time..  Nice work, Sonos.

Userlevel 6
Badge

I truly believe that Sonos could care less about this.  Once you purchase their products they have you by the short ones.  The suggestion that we need to screen shot problems and provide detailed information on the issues is absurd.   

Userlevel 1

I just came here to add my voice to the cacophony. 

Sonos should be embarrassed with this update. Connectivity is worse. So many features are missing. Rolling them back out slowly is a horrible solution. 

We’ve been using Sonos products with ease and satisfaction for over a decade. This is a really, really * experience. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 2

Unprecedented crappy version. Library access is no longer available. How a company can release such a version in 2024 ? Allow your customer to use the previous version at least. My SONOS system is silent since 3 weeks. Any official annoucement ?  

Userlevel 2

What an interresting answer … are you kidding Ken ? Are you trolling us ? This kind of answer in the context of such an unprecedented useless version makes me more upset that any kind of cynical silence from SONOS management. You won a SONOS chocolate medal ! 

Userlevel 6
Badge

Ken, your post is the one that's not constructive.  You must work for Sonos.  Screenshots...are you effing kidding?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

They really aren’t listening to us, which is quite shocking...

It might be time to start going to the ‘top’ I’ve responded to one of the Tweets to CEO Patrick Spence and am hoping for a reply - Link:-

Also you can send emails to him:-

ceo@sonos.com

Totally utterly useless … doesn’t work doesn’t play what you selected .. defaults to rooms that I have t selected and the worst update ever… Sonos have list the plot … old app so much better and now makes me think Sonos no more!!!!! Can’t believe e this was actually made live and available … nobody likes it and simply doesn’t work. Now playing music on my iPhone instead that bad!!!!!!!!!!!!

Userlevel 1

Well Ken, if you read it you’ll notice there isn’t a specific thing he mentions because there are too many issues with the new app. Give me back the old one. It worked 

Today I am going onto the sites where I have previously purchased my Sonos speakers and providing a 1 start review since my system is now essentially useless.  And where is this roadmap that is supposed to fix things?