Skip to main content

I’m sure it’s not just me, but it’s possibly the worst ‘update’ yet! Can’t find half of the things which were previously easy to access. It’s a big 👎from me!

I’m sure it’s not just me, but it’s possibly the worst ‘update’ yet! Can’t find half of the things which were previously easy to access. It’s a big 👎from me!

100% agree. Can no longer add songs to the queue (a basic day one requirement!) and can no longer balance my paired speakers. 
So annoyed with Sonos right now - how can they release this new app and then not even be available at the weekend to address customer questions (surely most customers will be using their systems at the weekend!).

Just thought I would drop into this thread to join the general ‘the new app is terrible” vibe.  Any functionality to be able to enjoy my own collection of files played from my DNLA is gone.  No ability to bookmark the locations, can’t randomise whole folders or lists etc.

I understand some folks will say ‘be constructive’ in anything said here but really, it will take me less time to shop for a competitors product than to list what’s wrong with the new app. Besides Sonos are supposed to be the experts in this area, an assertion which appears now to be entirely untrue.  

This new update is just terrible. I cannot even use Spotify or any of my streaming services on this.

Lots of errors on the interface. Lots of features removed....it is just contemptous of Sonos to treat their customers like this.

Driving a Samsung 21; App is totally non functional...All I have is a screen full of non-responsive grey boxes.  AND no way to report this issue.   Reset / Uninstalled / Stood on my head and whistled Dixie multiple times...nothing...PLEASE LET US HAVE THE OLD APP BACK! 

Any truth to SONOS remarketing themselves to SUKUS?

Where are my alarm settings

why is the app crashing

it is slow and malfunction

give us the chance to choose for the old good app or the new malfunction app

This app update is a disaster. Whoever made the decision to release this garbage should be fired. Did Sonos even test this thing? I knew within two minutes that this app update is junk. Ugggggg. 

Its impossible for me to understand who has given green light to launch this * show. 
the app was never the greatest or most stable but this is even worse. 
Features gone missing:

• clear queue
  • queue edit
  • search in apple music only show limited results without a way to show more. 
  • Alarm clock is gone
  • ever new window takes forever to load even if there is no new information presented

in general the app is a nightmare of slideouts and graphics that screams form over function. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Driving a Samsung 21; App is totally non functional...All I have is a screen full of non-responsive grey boxes.  AND no way to report this issue.   Reset / Uninstalled / Stood on my head and whistled Dixie multiple times...nothing...PLEASE LET US HAVE THE OLD APP BACK! 

Any truth to SONOS remarketing themselves to SUKUS?

Roll-back workaround: 

Where are my alarm settings

why is the app crashing

it is slow and malfunction

give us the chance to choose for the old good app or the new malfunction app

Roll-back workaround for Android: 

Its impossible for me to understand who has given green light to launch this * show. 
the app was never the greatest or most stable but this is even worse. 
Features gone missing:

• clear queue
  • queue edit
  • search in apple music only show limited results without a way to show more. 
  • Alarm clock is gone
  • ever new window takes forever to load even if there is no new information presented

in general the app is a nightmare of slideouts and graphics that screams form over function. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Precisely the same issues I’ve had (and more - can’t balance stereo paired speakers any more)! 🤬

Again with me you open the app new app and it says no system found, extremely frustrating! Eventually it finds the system and you can use the interface, but that is by no means a pleasurable experience the layout is atrocious, the you lock phone/tablet and loose any control of volume up you had thatthe old app had!

New app is not fit for purpose, and given how much we all pay for individual/groups speakers there should be some sort of compensation!

The new app doesn't really offer any new benefits. instead I lost my local music library! Unfortunately, my Sonos system has become unusable!

The new app doesn't really offer any new benefits. instead I lost my local music library! Unfortunately, my Sonos system has become unusable!

If you’re using Android, the guide to roll-back is above. Meanwhile, this is their ridiculous ‘schedule’, you’ll have to wait a month to access your own music! 

If you’re using Android, the guide to roll-back is above. Meanwhile, this is their ridiculous ‘schedule’, you’ll have to wait a month to access your own music! 

Oh no! How do we get the Sonos Execs to sit up and take notice? 
Do we need to get the Press involved? Instagram ranting?

This situation is soooo frustrating! 🤬

I would add ‘unusable’ as well to the ‘useless’ category.

I have been staring at the ‘There are no connections...’ message every time I open the app. And if you go through the drama of System Settings, sometimes it works, and the next time they’re gone. Again.

So I have my Sonos system which I have invested a lot of money in that is now unusable. Literally, can not play anything.

FYI as Sonos haven’t provided a way to downgrade back to the old S2 16.1 version and it’s seemingly not available from the support section, I’ve uninstalled the new and found a working version of the previous update here; you can download and install the APK suitable for Android from:- https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/

Hi, happy to read this but it’s ok for you ? All is come back as before (the marvelous last release!!!) with that APK ? Thanks
Antoine.

I emailed ceo@sonos.com about the update, was disappointed with the answer (which is below). Apparently being able to play from your local library is feature coming in June! Un bloody believable!!!

They’ve turned into apple….remove a feature then bring it back as  new feature weeks or months later!!,

why the hell did they release this?

They clearly didn’t learn anything from the s1/s2 app debacle a few years back.

the reply from Sonos 

“Thank you for reaching out to share your feedback about the new Sonos app. I understand you rely on being able to play folders from a local library and search your local library via the Sonos app.

I know you are disappointed that these features are not available, and I want to assure you that your feedback has been heard loud and clear. We are committed to providing our users with the best possible experience, and we are working tirelessly to reinstate some important features in the app in the coming weeks.

The ability to play and search music from a local library is planned for next month. You can reference this article for additional details on upcoming updates. In the meantime, a couple workarounds to play local music are to use AirPlay (iOS devices) or via the Sonos web app.

Thank you for your engagement and for being part of the Sonos community.Best regards,

Sonos Customer Experience”

Android. Roll back steps to 16.1:-

I uninstalled the sonos app.

Went to apkmirror.com on my phone browser, and downloaded Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a). Then opened the download folder and ran the install. (You may have to select the permissions on your phone to allow you to do that). Following install I turned off wi-fi and mobile data, then went to play store and selected do not automatically update apps. Then turned wi-fi and mobile data back on, then ran the app and signed in.

Excellent!  thank you for these instructions!

I emailed ceo@sonos.com about the update, was disappointed with the answer (which is below). Apparently being able to play from your local library is feature coming in June! Un bloody believable!!!

They’ve turned into apple….remove a feature then bring it back as  new feature weeks or months later!!,

why the hell did they release this?

They clearly didn’t learn anything from the s1/s2 app debacle a few years back.

the reply from Sonos 

“Thank you for reaching out to share your feedback about the new Sonos app. I understand you rely on being able to play folders from a local library and search your local library via the Sonos app.

I know you are disappointed that these features are not available, and I want to assure you that your feedback has been heard loud and clear. We are committed to providing our users with the best possible experience, and we are working tirelessly to reinstate some important features in the app in the coming weeks.

The ability to play and search music from a local library is planned for next month. You can reference this article for additional details on upcoming updates. In the meantime, a couple workarounds to play local music are to use AirPlay (iOS devices) or via the Sonos web app.

Thank you for your engagement and for being part of the Sonos community.Best regards,

Sonos Customer Experience”

Interesting but totally patronising reply!

One thing though, it states:

“The ability to play and search music from a local library is planned for next month. You can reference this article for additional details on upcoming updates. In the meantime, a couple workarounds to play local music are to use AirPlay (iOS devices) or via the Sonos web app.”

This is nonsense regarding the web app (https://play.sonos.com/en-us/web-app) as there is no local library available, neither alarms as they now state are implemented. 

I don’t trust them at all now and I’m sure I’m not alone in this, the reputational damage will be hard to turn around...

As a long time Sonos user I finally gave up on the new version of the Android app and took Thomass’ advice and regressed to V16.1. What a relief - everything I want is there and works. I tend to use queues built from my music library (NAS) for most of the time and occasional streaming radio from BBC.

The really annoying thing is that I bought an Android tablet to control the system once my old Sonos controller died. The only thing that works from my perspective on the new version is the Windows controller and every time an update is released I worry that some functionality will be broken or disappear.

I used to work in software development including UI design and am amazed that this could have got to a release point without someone questioning the loss of functionality. I would suggest Sonos should take note that largest number of people who rated this release on the Appstore gave it only one star - that isn’t could do better, it is shockingly bad.

Not a very constructive thread, no idea which features are being referred to here🤷‍♂️. Sonos cannot fix whatever it is you maybe referring too, without the detail.

Perhaps provide more information in more depth, post some screenshots/give examples and make some suggestions for improvement and state what you’d like to see in the new App.  Many folk complained about the last S2 App too and this new App is intended to reflect what Sonos users have asked for - so ask away and let Sonos know what you want to see.

You obviously have not used the new app. No way to clear the queue, no in-line queue editing, degraded group volume controls. Total violation of basic product management 101. Awful and indefensible. Amateur.

I updated my system at a time it was connected to my tv.  When I turned off the tv, Sonos used to automatically return to audio after about 10 minutes, or I could force it.  Now it’s stuck on tv and I cannot connect to audio and my saved audio library!  
The many problems with the new version are a disaster for Sonos.  I have led teams of software engineers successfully developing control software and test, test and test again have been the mantra instilled in all of us.  Sonos MUST provide the old S2 version again as the number of faults identified are huge and will take ages to correct and then thoroughly check before releasing again

Not a very constructive thread, no idea which features are being referred to here🤷‍♂️. Sonos cannot fix whatever it is you maybe referring too, without the detail.

Perhaps provide more information in more depth, post some screenshots/give examples and make some suggestions for improvement and state what you’d like to see in the new App.  Many folk complained about the last S2 App too and this new App is intended to reflect what Sonos users have asked for - so ask away and let Sonos know what you want to see.

WTF ….are trying to wind your customers up?

I USE AN ALL MAC SYSTEM.

I WILL USE CAPITALS SO YOU CAN READ IT KEN.

MY SEVERAL THOUSAND POUND SYSTEM IS NOW JUNK, I CANNOT ACCESS MY MAC MUSIC LIBRARY WITH SONOS EVEN THOUGH ITS ON THE SAME COMPUTER. MY MORNING ALARMS NO LONGER WORK.

I WANT ALL THE FUNCTIONALITY OF S2 …FOR ME IT WAS FINE AND YOU HAVE BROKEN IT.

AT LEAST MAKE YOUR UPDATES OPTIONAL.

AS YOU CAN TELL I’M PRETTY “ANNOYED “.

I WILL CONTACT MY SOLICITORS FOR OPTIONS (MAYBE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT WILLGET YOUR ATTENTION ) AND I WILL BE RETURNING THE MOST RECENTLY PURCHASED SONOS JUNK.

This new App is useless and not user friendly.  As I type I am playing an album on my ‘office’ sonos.  When I started it, it only played in the bathroom.  I am on about the fourth track but it is still showing the first track on the app.

When you search an artist, you get the complete results.  Why can’t you search albums, songs, playlists, compilations etc like before?

I expect this has been asked hundreds of times, but can you reinstall the old app?

Who on earth is this Ken Griffiths?  Obviously not a Sonos user!