New Sonos app removes key features - beware!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Having just upgraded to the new app, I’m utterly amazed at how poor it is from a user perspective.

• There is no longer a volume number indication
  • You cannot edit queues
  • You cannot add single songs to a queue as ‘play next’ or ‘add to end’
  • You cannot create or edit any alarms

How did this get through any UAT? These are basic features every Sonos user has enjoyed for years.

Absolutely ridiculous, please add this functionality back ASAP.

326 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I think it’s worse that just those features missing. This is what I found when one of my alarms to play music was sounding the Sonos Chime this morning. Updated the app and that broke just about everything...

• The UI is not well thought out: In System Settings you have to figure out that most settings are hidden behind “Manage.” Then when you tap that, for all options on the “Manage” slide-over, you have to tap the carrot “<” next to “SONOS” to go back a menu level. The carrot isn’t even part of the side over.
  • The lack of attention to the UI makes it more understandable that they forgot to include a way to create an alarm...
  • To add insult to injury, when I was looking at the alarm that didn’t play correctly this morning, the app deleted the alarm either when I tapped on it, or when I force-quit it. Now there’s no way to recreate it.
  • It also seems the new app and/or speaker updates broke the queues on my speakers. I couldn't resume any music shown in the app on any speaker.
  • The app reset my preferred service to Sonos Radio, which I don’t use at all.
  • All “My Favorites” (now “pinned collections”) are broken; they don’t play at all. Apparently I have to delete them all and recreate them. (this happened with S2)
  • Playing from my local music library takes forever.  Seems broken. Apple Music can’t be played; reauthorized. Still doesn’t work.
  • Seems Amazon Music, Apple Music, Plex, etc all had to be re-authorized before they would work. Plex and local still do not work.
  • Even the working services take several seconds to load their content pages. Sometimes that fails. And it takes 10 sec or more for selected music to start playing.
  • Local music server is gone from sources and no way to reinstall it!

Stay away!

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

This might be nitpicky but the sticky Now Playing bar at the bottom of the screen is a real UX head scratcher.

It acts like a bottom sheet… sort of? Swiping it up opens Your System, but tapping it opens Now Playing.

There are a few wonky navigation decisions like that in this update for sure.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

My experience has also been poor. Instead of giving us a better experience and adding features many of us have waited for for years, we get less. I had thought Sonos had learned from the S1 / S2 app disaster, but appears the app side of the house needs a total reset at the company given how poor this update is. Sonos isn’t listening to it’s core customers and that’s going to create detractors.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My experience has also been poor. Instead of giving us a better experience and adding features many of us have waited for for years, we get less. I had thought Sonos had learned from the S1 / S2 app disaster, but appears the app side of the house needs a total reset at the company given how poor this update is. Sonos isn’t listening to it’s core customers and that’s going to create detractors.

It’s yet another terrible move by Sonos. They are by far the worst company for genuinely not understanding how their customers use their products. 

My music services, including Plex, are all working here in the new App and I can see my NAS local library service too… the ’Search’ facility is the same/similar to the old (new) S2 search  (but without the old classic search). I expected that. All my Sonos ‘rooms’ that were on the system tab, now slide up screen from the bottom, I would describe it as an extension to the minimised ‘Now Playing’ screen.. I think it’s more a case of not yet being ‘familiar’ with things. I think the App perhaps could be a little quicker too, but maybe further optimisation will come later, after all the dust has settled. 

It’s clear (to me, at least) that some features, are still to be rolled out, such as adding tracks to the queue and ‘play next’ etc. as they are shown in the preview screens on Sonos.com - so I’m thinking that what we’re seeing now, are the core features at the moment and that there’s still more to come a little further down the line. 

I just need to become much more familiar with the new interface - I’ll worry about any missing features later, but at least all my system is working/playing here.

Sonos is a master at changing things customers like and want to something that is frustrating and less and less useful.  They should have done a thing with two apps and stay on the old one if you want to. 

Sonos is a master at changing things customers like and want to something that is frustrating and less and less useful.  They should have done a thing with two apps and stay on the old one if you want to. 

I suspect that the new app had to be rolled out to in advance of the rumored new headphones as setup and new features that may be associated with the headphones are only coded into the new version of the app.   

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Sleep timer and alarms seem gone…

Stations are gone from the main page.

Mute button seems gone as well.

Sonos Radio and TuneIn are signed out and I sign in fails with error about missing internet connection. Other stations work fine but search seem broken on a number of services. 

App released in Denmark just af support was about to close and I was told that they disconnected calls within minutes... That wasn't told when the release would drop - no extra support even though they have announced the release for weeks…

I was told that Sonos Radio probably wouldn't work another week.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Not happy with this at all.  The new app doesn’t seem to let me play from my local library.  This is an ESSENTIAL feature, Sonos.  This is why I’m on Sonos and not BluOS.  And I can’t downgrade or even use the older version of the app from a different device.

You need to offer an opportunity to roll this back until it’s fixed.  Local libraries on a NAS is the most BASIC Sonos feature.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Also - when scrolling a long list - what happened to the letters that let me skip down.  I have to scroll manually now?  That’s HORRIBLE.

This is why I used to beta test so I could at least TRY and get these obvious things fixed.  I’ve been on Sonos over 10 years (I have ZonePlayers, for cripes sake) and I’ve never seen anything this bad.

Userlevel 1

EQ-settings have no effect (on my Arc-Era‘s 300-SubGen.3).

On the same system Trueplay freezes right before calculating the results.

I was looking forward to updating because for a while now my Era‘s (especially the left one) behave strangely: it seems to forget it‘s Trueplay-setting and gets way too loud. Next day all is good again but then - when I skip a song or something - it starts again. 

Well … the update didn‘t fix that problem. Instead it gave me some more … 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Is this referring to the main App (ios/Android) and you can't add songs to a queue?

Not happy with this at all.  The new app doesn’t seem to let me play from my local library.  This is an ESSENTIAL feature, Sonos.  This is why I’m on Sonos and not BluOS.  And I can’t downgrade or even use the older version of the app from a different device.

You need to offer an opportunity to roll this back until it’s fixed.  Local libraries on a NAS is the most BASIC Sonos feature.

It’s working here for me - I use an SMBv2 NAS share and I can see/play my local library tracks from the main screen under  ‘Your Sources/Music Library”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is this referring to the main App (ios/Android) and you can't add songs to a queue?

Correct.

I’m finding the all new Sonos ‘Web App’ just has rather basic functionality, but I actually like its layout on my iPad screen (landscape mode) - I think I prefer that layout to the new App, with the rooms down the side, but appreciate it would not work on a phone display. 

One feature request I have already, is to be able to change the order of the ‘pinned categories’ on the Web App, like we are able to do with the new Sonos App.

…I really like the layout here.👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Correct.

Astonishing.

Userlevel 2

In addition to the what’s missing list at the top….

• I can’t edit any existing Sonos playlists.
  • The link to Qobuz playlists doesn’t work.
  • Tapping on the volume slider of a now playing screen used to give direct access to EQ settings and the possibility of setting different volumes on grouped speakers - it’s no longer there, you have to go back to settings.

It was meant to make things easier, but it doesn’t. Thankfully I have access to my wife’s iPad where I haven’t upgraded to the new app, and it’s still working! 

Correct.

Astonishing.

That feature though is clearly pending and on its way at some stage… see this link:

https://www.sonos.com/en/controller-app

Heres the screen (attached) that shows what it ‘perhaps’ might look like in the new App.

It’s why I think we’re only seeing the core features of the App at this stage and perhaps reduced down for initial worldwide roll-out with a view to maybe adding these ‘talked about’ features later. (That’s just a,bit of a guess of course) but it shows that there’s more to come, IMHO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Correct.

Astonishing.

That feature though is clearly pending and on its way at some stage… see this link:

Heres the screen (attached) that shows what it ‘perhaps’ might look like in the new App.

It’s why I think we’re only seeing the core features of the App at this stage and perhaps reduced down for initial worldwide roll-out with a view to maybe add these ‘talked about’ features later. (That’s just a,bit of a guess of course) but it shows that there’s more to come, IMHO.

They should not have released a new and improved app without core features of the app it’s replacing. No-one can defend this diabolical release.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Correct.

Astonishing.

It’s why I think we’re only seeing the core features of the App at this stage and perhaps reduced down for initial worldwide roll-out with a view to maybe adding these ‘talked about’ features later. (That’s just a,bit of a guess of course) but it shows that there’s more to come, IMHO.

I hadn't seen anything suggesting it will return or mentioned anywhere.

I'd say many would regard this kind of function sacrosanct in the Sonos world.  It was a core reason Sonos existed initially, the whole queue philosophy.  Ridiculous to not include this core functionality at release.

This looks more and more like an MVP, not something building on something that has been around for years.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

No-one can defend this diabolical release.

Hang around a little while and see...

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Correct.

Astonishing.

I hadn't seen anything suggesting it will return or mentioned anywhere.

I'd say many would regard this kind of function sacrosanct in the Sonos world.  It was a core reason Sonos existed initially, the whole queue philosophy.  Ridiculous to not include this core functionality at release.

This looks more and more like an MVP, not something building on something that has been around for years.

Here’s a screenshot from chat support this morning, indicating queue management is coming in a future update. Who knows when, though…

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Replacing a queue with another one is not a workaround.

In fact, how do you replace a queue with a queue?  Or did they mean replace with a Playlist (that you can no longer edit)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Also - when scrolling a long list - what happened to the letters that let me skip down.  I have to scroll manually now?  That’s HORRIBLE.

This is why I used to beta test so I could at least TRY and get these obvious things fixed.  I’ve been on Sonos over 10 years (I have ZonePlayers, for cripes sake) and I’ve never seen anything this bad.

Okay.  It looks like things may be settling down.  It didn’t initially like that I had my system set up to use SonosNet from a Boost.  With the help of a non-updated iPad, I was able to re-create the system I wanted, quit the other app, and it SEEMS like it’s working.  (I connect my NAS direct to the Ethernet port on a Playbase; not a COMMON setup, but with SonosNet it worked fine.  Take away SonosNet and it seems to fail).  It still doesn’t see the Boost in the new app, but I don’t care for the moment (It does show WM as being SonosNet; it just doesn’t see the Boost as a component).  It seems to be working and that’s enough for me.  Not a great experience and one I wouldn’t willingly inflict on someone who’s not tech-savvy and willing to eff around until it’s working right again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Really, really poor show for Sonos to do this. I suspected they don’t care about their customer base after the Era 100 release and Apple Music volume fiasco (which still isn’t resolved after more than a year!) and this just cements it for me.

In what world is restricting core Sonos functionality that loyal customers have been using for so many years acceptable?