Skip to main content
Answered

New App causing speakers to go to volume level 0, turns on the green mute light

I have noticed some of my speakers sporadically going to volume level 0 since the June 17, 2024 update of the new App. This causes the speaker’s indicator light to go green. Has anyone found a setting to stop these volume changes?

28 replies

This new app will not allow me to access any of the surrounding speakers. In my opinion the older app was more efficient. To answer your question it is the new app update Sonos has to fix this. 

I’ve not seen this on any of my speakers. It suggests a stuck button somewhere, sending a command to your Sonos. You’ve not told us which speaker(s) it is occurring on, or what device you’re controlling your system from. The next time it occurs, I’d submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it. There should be information in the diagnostic that says where the command for mute is coming from, to help track this down…and if it is a software issue, point that out to the Sonos rep as well. 

Hi David,

Also my Symfonisk (bookshelf) speaker, using the new app on an Android 14 phone, recently starting dropping the volume randomly to 0.
The green led I’ve not noticed yet but also didn’t check for. (no idea if this is applicable to the Symfonisk speaker)

@Airgetlam , imho a stuck button is not possible. When this would be the case the volume level could never be raised since the stuck button, constantly pushing the volume level down, wouldn’t allow this.

Regards from the low lands.

Frank

(regret for possible mistakes in English language, it’s not my mother tongue)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

This is happening to me. I just raised another post before I spotted this one.

I have the same issue since the last update, the volume level passes at 0 alone.

If a stuck button is not possible, it would be even more urgent, IMHO, to provide data to Sonos, so they could track it down, and figure out what is occurring. 

My speakers are green too all the time and I turned off the led lights. I can't turn off the green. 

Yes, experiencing the same. Sometimes the volume suggests -1 too! 

Same for me.  I just set the volume for each of them to be above zero, so we’ll see if it sticks or gets reset somehow.

The most annoying part is that the green light comes on regardless of whether the speaker has been set up to have display light turned off.  Thus, we now have a bunch of green “night lights” in each bedroom.  Sonos team, please have the individual speaker light display setting override the use of the green light to show mute status.  Thank you.

Today, I contacted the support by chat.

Here is the reply:

Thank you for contacting us. I would like to inform you that we are aware of this and are investigating the issue. In the meantime, can you submit a diagnostic from the Sonos app so I can get a better look at your system? You can do this by opening the Sonos app > Go to Settings > Go to Help Center and select Submit Diagnostics. Please let me know the confirmation number.

I am having the same issue, annoying green light at night in the bedroom, every night!

Same problem here. Between this issue and all the problems with the new app, like not being able to change volume or stop music, I am losing my faith in Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This happened twice for me a few minutes ago. First seemed to be triggered by me using About My System in the App. Second one was random. Diagnostics are ********** and **********.

Moderator Note: Recorded and removed diagnostic numbers. Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 4

Thanks for figuring this out. This has been consistently happening to me on all of my devices. For some reason it really likes to reset itself to zero at about 3 in the morning when it bathes our bedroom wall in green light. I’ve been solving it, until now, by putting books on top of the speakers.

This seems like an urgent thing to fix as it makes having any Sonos device in a bedroom problematic 

I’ve frequently used black electrical tape (or white, depending on the speaker) to do cover this light, as I’m not fond of that green ‘muted’ LED either. Although I do recognize the need for it…but then I’ve not been hit by this bug on any speaker in my system, so far. 

There is at least one company who sells on Amazon, if memory serves, pre sized stickers, that reduce or block LEDs like these. 

I have the same issue (solid green light) since the last upgrade.  Has happened randomly on any of my 8 SONOS speakers.  The speakers do not disappear from the app but will not play from the app without first touching the volume button on the speaker.

I have submitted a diagnostic but likely none of my speakers currently show this issue.  I have the diagnostic number but have not shown it here.  Let me know if you need it.       

Also seeing this. Speakers randomly go mute whenever they feel like it. Last night the white noise just stopped in all rooms. Hopefully the tech folks are on to a fix soon. 
cheers

george

Same issue with volume randomly going to zero.

Additionally the app is unable to find my system on first attempt. Close app - open - system found.

Diagnostics *

*Moderator Note: Removed diagnostic number*

Same problem here. Happens to all speakers in the room. I've noticed that its often if I pick up my Google Android phone, however, I don't open the Sonos app or similar.

However it's also happening out of nowhere, so I'm not 100% sure its actually related…

Sonos; Fell free to contact me, if you need other examples.

@sonos-user20 , just as a reminder, this is a community forum, Sonos Support doesn’t read this, the only Sonos folks who do are forum moderators. If you want, you could submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system. And calling in is the only way to have Sonos look at your diagnostic. 

I just chatted with a rep and I can attest they were not aware of this post so I suggest as many of us contact support as possible to raise awareness of the issue.  I’ve had the issue for maybe a week now and it’s randomly happened on all my Sonos speakers.  This new app has overstayed its welcome.

Also having the muting and green light problem since the app “upgrade” - very sad and frustrating.

As the speakers turn to mute this create a connected alarm problem as well - been using the alarm feature for some years to turn a net radio statio to wake to music - alarm no longer useful as mute means no sound plus a bonus annoying green light.

The only apparent response from Sonos is to deluge its users wit promos for new headphones - as if anyone experiencing the underwhelming app update would contemplate another Sonos product with the current, to use a soccer term, “own goal” app mess.

I am having exactly this problem. Having had to contact Sonos support to find out that my green light going on was due to the volume being zero, I’m not impressed two days later to find my play:1 speakers are resetting themselves to zero and lighting up the house at night again. I don’t really want to sit on the support queue again so I hope they ARE aware of this glitch and are investigating it. 

This happens to me too. Home office has a Play 1 that I control from my PC while I work. Volume fine all day. Start up the pc and windows app again in the morning when I start work and the volume is set to zero.

Get this every day.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Same issue here. Green lights everywhere. Please fix