Skip to main content
Question

"Music Library Settings" missing

With the new app, I can’t access my music at all. According to the Sonos support pages, you add your music library by going to “Manage” and then “Music Library Settings”. But in my app, there is no Music Library Settings on that page, only Content Services.

I called Sonos support, and they told me that some people are missing that setting, and this is something they’re working on (and they couldn’t say how long that would take). But the lady I talked to didn’t really seem to know what she was talking about. I haven’t found anybody else reporting this problem. Everybody is talking about all the missing features, but nobody mentions not even being able to access your music through the app. Is somebody else experiencing this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

109 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I posted an article with workarounds on medium. Basically - use the Plex Media Server until they fix this (who knows when).

Thought I would go to “Contact us”  and there 24x7 chat line has no operatives available - not 24x7 then is it!

Then I noticed “Contact the CEO” , so I sent the CEO an email about their new reduction in functionality.

I suggest everyone on here should do similar, as they are ignoring these posts.

To save you looking - ceo@sonos.com

I sent an email pointing out that their company deserves to go bankrupt for this appalling stuff up. There’s no way I’ll ever get a reply. Best way to make your annoyance felt is to do negative reviews on Amazon and anywhere else that sells their speakers. At least it will protect some other fools from making the mistake we have. 

I had this problem also, and I was able to implement a workaround by installing Sonos app on a windows pc, then I went into my music library folder, added the folder as a playlist (click the little down arrow on the folder > Add to Sonos Playlist), and suddenly on the mobile app, under "your sources" the "music library" option can be seen.

I’m trying to do this but when I go to my music library directory (through windows explorer or through Sonia) there isn’t any little down arrow to select. 

I posted an article with workarounds on medium. Basically - use the Plex Media Server until they fix this (who knows when).

Thanks, this is great, my NAS library is back again in Sonos through Plex 👍

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have seemingly related issues.  I have not even tried to define my music library using the new IOS or Android disasters.  I have defined it successfully using the app on my Mac.  My music library resides on a NAS.  Unfortunately, the  Mac app has also received the infernal blessing of Sonos and been updated.  So now, though the music library has been functioning for years with no problems, I periodically cannot find it.  IOS does not show it, either using the Sonos disaster or a third party app.  If I go to my Mac and look at the library setting, they are blank.  No library is defined.  So I get to re-enter path and credential information, and then wait while my music is indexed yet again.  I do not understand the rationale of creating a required support product that hinders the use of the main product line.

With the new app, I can’t access my music at all. According to the Sonos support pages, you add your music library by going to “Manage” and then “Music Library Settings”. But in my app, there is no Music Library Settings on that page, only Content Services.

I called Sonos support, and they told me that some people are missing that setting, and this is something they’re working on (and they couldn’t say how long that would take). But the lady I talked to didn’t really seem to know what she was talking about. I haven’t found anybody else reporting this problem. Everybody is talking about all the missing features, but nobody mentions not even being able to access your music through the app. Is somebody else experiencing this?

I have this problem too. Pretty annoying too.

Userlevel 1

Same problem here and really baffled that sonos hasn’t issued a fix since tons of people are having the same problem. It’s not the first time (many times) there are problems following an app update. Ive spent hours trying to resolve this. For many people, their own library is their primary music source so this renders the system useless. Sonos is simply horrible - shame on sonos!!

Badge

I agree, Why would Sonos not address the my library immediately.They should update the software and add the library back in!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

So, in this thread, the first time the issue, NO, it’s not really an “issue” , it’s a FAULT.

The FAULT is that access to a system’s “Music Library” is missing from both iOS and Android apps. Yet it is present and works correctly on my Windows PC.

I’ve only just come to trying out the Sonos app on both iOS and Android devices - and, YES, they both lack an interface to my music library. Not only is the FAULT outstanding for a month, you can’t even get to accessing the music queue to clear it or select any other music unless you control it via the Windows app.

The fact that it has taken an elapsed time of (over?) 30 days for Sonos engineers to solve the problem would seem, to me, that this is a very poor management approach to what SHOULD be a major software upgrade. 

Where was the test plan and regression testing (* see below)?

Sonos appear to have under-estimated the number of their customers, myself included, who use Sonos systems for their OWN music libraries.

Such an oversight will come back to bite Sonos, if not already, then pretty soon.

But this is not the first time Sonos software has fallen over, though I think it’s probably the most spectacular FAULT to date, for my use of the software.

I’m not so much angry as very disappointed that such a good product has been let down by a lack of change management.

[* Regression Testing is testing that runs after every change to ensure that the change introduces no unintended breaks]

Dear SONOS, Sorry but why can't I access the Music Library Setup?

The one thing on my mind: Streaming Services/ AI take over the internet and that make me feel so sad.

“My network got awesomeness!! ”

Please fix the local setup bugs on Android and Iphone devices.

PS: When fixing this BIG issue please make it also bigger buttons and continue supporting older IOS devices thanks. Greater Album Art / flow will be Nice.

Thanks S. H.

Utter * 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I updated the app and lost my music library.  I was confused that the option of Music Library had also vanished, which made me think Sonos no longer supported local music libraries.

On investigation I found that the update wiped the link to my library in Manage/Music Library Settings.  I retyped the link and all seems to have reconnected OK.

Yes very disappointed-Can no longer access and play any of my music form Music Library/ i-Tunes on Mac, so little point having the Sonos equipment.

The Sonos System  service has deteriorated over the last few years.

When I want to listen to some music to relax, I want a service that works effectively on a regular basis- with Sonos I seem to spend hours looking for lost music files or trying to solve technical issues- hopeless,

Does anyone from @Sonos actually read these forums - or their social media feeds - this has been nearly 2 months, there have been several updates to the controller app yet none that fix the problem of music libraries being lost/deleted/unable to connect. This one update renders the entire product useless. I’ve spoken to Sonos customer support for hours - no one can fix it - they said speak to mac and get them to change file sharing protocols - Mac said they couldn’t and it was an issue with the sonos app (which it clearly is). Yet 2 months after they screwed us all up with this update they haven’t fixed it. I shall continue to post on their social media platforms and advise all potential customers to steer clear… won’t help get this issue fixed but makes me feel better (for about a minute). I would like to have my music back. SONOS - SORT THIS OUT… pretty please

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Does anyone from @Sonos actually read these forums - or their social media feeds - this has been nearly 2 months, there have been several updates to the controller app yet none that fix the problem of music libraries being lost/deleted/unable to connect. This one update renders the entire product useless. I’ve spoken to Sonos customer support for hours - no one can fix it - they said speak to mac and get them to change file sharing protocols - Mac said they couldn’t and it was an issue with the sonos app (which it clearly is). Yet 2 months after they screwed us all up with this update they haven’t fixed it. I shall continue to post on their social media platforms and advise all potential customers to steer clear… won’t help get this issue fixed but makes me feel better (for about a minute). I would like to have my music back. SONOS - SORT THIS OUT… pretty please

Have you gone through the music library fixes that helpful folks have posted about in multiple threads these last few weeks?

Sonos is correct, though they could be more helpful.  You need to get your library shared correctly, then add it using the Mac app for Sonos, using one (sort of) trick.  See this video:

After that close out and restart your mobile app.  If the library doesn’t show up then, reset the mobile app and restart, choosing to connect to an existing system. 

Sonos is correct, though they could be more helpful.  You need to get your library shared correctly, then add it using the Mac app for Sonos, using one (sort of) trick.  See this video:

After that close out and restart your mobile app.  If the library doesn’t show up then, reset the mobile app and restart, choosing to connect to an existing system. 

Thank you so much this has finally worked… the only thing it has not copied across from the music file is the playlists… any ideas why when they are stored in the same file as all the other music…. Thanks again

Badge

I too have exactly the same issues. Had Sonos kit for years and been very happy until now. My music library hosted on my QNAP SAN fell out of bed recently and SONOS S1 & S2 refused to connect. A lengthy remote session with their help desk failed to resolve the issue so it was suggested by them that the QNAP SMB version was now incompatible. I have just invested in a new Terravision SAN and connection worked just fine provided I used the S2 app on my laptop. It still doesn’t work on my iPhone. What on earth are SONOS trying to do with their customer base?

Userlevel 3

Any update on this? 

In bed recovering for back surgery with no way of getting my music on my Sonos move as my music is on my NAS.

So glad I put Sonos on evey room. Waste of money. 

Long time customers are ignored.

WORKAROUND: On the Mac, at least, go into the Music app, click the red upper right broadcast/airplay icon and choose the Sonos speaker(s).

i assume/ hope for Windows its the same with iTunes or whatever modern music file player is used.

FWIW I got the NAS path established after carefully following all the file share instructions - but the App doesn’t see any music files in those folders, as it used to. Crazy. The instructions also aren’t specific as to EXACTLY which music library folder, files or library file it’s supposed to read.

WORKAROUND: On the Mac, at least, go into the Music app, click the red upper right broadcast/airplay icon and choose the Sonos speaker(s).

i assume/ hope for Windows its the same with iTunes or whatever modern music file player is used.

FWIW I got the NAS path established after carefully following all the file share instructions - but the App doesn’t see any music files in those folders, as it used to. Crazy. The instructions also aren’t specific as to EXACTLY which music library folder, files or library file it’s supposed to read.

The new Sonos App/system will read the files and folder in the path you have entered into the Desktop Sonos App or previous S2 App - so that’s any files (tracks/playlist) and folders, although they can now only be read using the SMBv2 (or higher) sharing protocol and using a NAS user/credentials (as necessary) that have permission to read the shared files/folders and that you added as your chosen Sonos user in the Sonos App too - assuming you’re not using an ‘everyone’ permission with no password etc.

NOTE: THIS FIX WORKS. Tested on my several year-old system, updated regularly.

Badge

Followed the new SMBv2 process; can see my library again in macOS app & iPhone app. 

Still cannot see playlists. Trying to determine if Sonos code is looking for an .xml file still or Music app’s .musiclibrary file. 

My hunch is that, using the old SMBv1 process (that’s now broken), where you could just Browse to your Music folder, it was looking for the .musiclibrary file. Now that we have to use the NAS route for SMBv2, it could be one of several filetypes. 

Anyone have any ideas on it? Anyone gotten imported playlists to reappear yet?

Followed the new SMBv2 process; can see my library again in macOS app & iPhone app. 

Still cannot see playlists. Trying to determine if Sonos code is looking for an .xml file still or Music app’s .musiclibrary file. 

My hunch is that, using the old SMBv1 process (that’s now broken), where you could just Browse to your Music folder, it was looking for the .musiclibrary file. Now that we have to use the NAS route for SMBv2, it could be one of several filetypes. 

Anyone have any ideas on it? Anyone gotten imported playlists to reappear yet?

According to this link - the Sonos share is looking for Library.xml. See here…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/itunes-playlists-missing-from-sonos-library-on-usb-drive 

I don’t use the .xml/iTunes features, but prefer to create my own *.m3u playlists instead, but maybe some others that do use it, will perhaps chime in here.

Try using the third-party “SonosPhone” app.  although basic it is much faster than the new official sonos app which is terrible.  I was also able to add back my own music library in that app (interestingly enough the method also added back my “music library” under “Your Sources” in the official app (it was completely gone before with no option to add any sources beyond streaming services).  The step was to download the Sonos controller for Windows -- after it downloaded, I went into “manage”, “music library settings”, and typed in the path to my NAS drive and ‘voila’ my music library showed up on the SonosPhone app AND the official Sonos app.  Hope this helps someone that is looking for a way to get their local music library back on the official app (or if using the SonosPhone” app).