Skip to main content
Question

Music Library - MacBook Air - Still Can't Access

• 19 June 2024
  • 2 replies

Could someone please help me?  I’ve invested way too many hours in trying to get my music library back working and nothing works.  I have a new MacBook Air running Sonoma 14.5 OS.  I’ve been using an old Apple Time Capsule as my NAS -- solely for the purpose of connecting my library to my Sonos system.  That’s worked great for years until Sonos killed it.  Whatever, I’m trying to get to the acceptance stage of the grieving process.  I just want to hear my music.

I’ve tried all of the guidance that others have listed.  I’ve gone to the File Sharing settings on my Mac and have tried adding my music library saved locally on my computer as an NAS; I’ve tried adding my Time Capsule as an NAS.  It won’t work.  I’ve tried using my password, not using my password.  Variously I get error messages saying “incorrect username and/or password” or error 913.  The error messages aren’t consistent

Yes, I have “Share files and folders using SMB” marked yes.  I have no idea what SMB1 -2 or -3 are.  I think I saw somewhere that the Time Capsule uses SMB1 and thus will now never work again with Sonos -- thanks for that -- but surely my brand new Mac isn’t using any type of outdated file protection.

Obviously I will never buy another Sonos product again, and I dream of the day that they’re bought by a real company that has a semblance of competence instead of spite for their customers.  However, I see that other people are able to access their music libraries again.  Any ideas for what I need to do?  I’m a reasonably smart person but not a tech guy, and I cannot figure this out for the life of me.

2 replies

Have same issue.  It’s frustrating.  Does Sonos even read these comments.  The problem has been ongoing for years with iTunes streaming.  Can’t they just get along?

Sonos has changed the way that their new app accesses audio from shared libraries on the local network. The previous S2 App supported SMBv1 and HTTP protocols for file sharing, but these have known vulnerabilities and are no longer used by Microsoft, Google, Apple, Amazon etc. and all has now shifted to using SMBv2 (or higher) file sharing.  You may need to upgrade your shares… see these links depending on how you share your library tracks…

For MacOS users, see this thread.

For Windows users, see this thread.

Sonos sent out notices both in the S2 app, and in email, about these changes. They also updated the FAQ to reflect the update. While they have stated that the local library system continues to be worked on, I do not expect them to resume use of http or SMB v1, so if your computer uses them, I’d recommend re-adding your share, as is indicated in the controller, where it says ‘We’ve made security changes to supported libraries. You may need to re-add your library”.

If you’re having trouble finding this area in your controller, open the S2 controller, click on the gear icon at the upper right of the screen, then the word ‘Manage’ under it. Next, click on ‘Music Library’, and the page to enter/modify your local library will come up.

If you continue to have issues, I would recommend that you call Sonos Support to discuss it.