Answered

Indexing music files on windows file share

• 31 December 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi, 

I’ve been setting up Sonos system, right now only one speaker 8) (Roam SL)

I’ve configured a Windows 10 Pro laptop to have a shared music folder with subdirectories of artist\album.

Using the android sonos app I’ve tried indexing the directory. The app seems to start indexing, but only one album shows up as available. All the files have the same permission level set to “Read”.

(There are 100+ artists)

Has anybody experienced this, or indeed is there a workaround/fix ?

Many thanks

icon

Best answer by kevin higgins 3 January 2024, 17:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Install the Windows Sonos controller. This also installs a service that makes it rather easier to play files from a Win platform.

Thanks for the reply,

I have the s2 app/controller installed:

Associated Product: 192.168.1.130
---------------------------------
Sonos Roam SL: Sonos Roam SL
Serial Number: *************
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 15.11 (build 76247270)
Hardware Version: 1.33.2.6-2.9
Series ID: A102
IP Address: 192.168.1.130
WM: 1

Moderator Note: Removed Serial Number, as it is considered private information. Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @kevin higgins 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you are still having this problem, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Thanks All for the responses.

So, I used the windows app to index, and all seems to be working well. It turns out that some of my mp3s not downloaded fully from Dropbox, the file stubs were there, but no actual data, or meta data 🙃. I’m up and running now. Thanks again.