Skip to main content
Question

I still can't access my music library

• 1 June 2024
  • 3 replies

Ever since we updated the sonos app, we haven’t been able to find any music from our library. It seems like for some people it came back eventually, but ours hasn’t been there fore 3 weeks now. 

We use Sonos because we enjoy all the music we have in iTune, and we don’t use any streaming services. Now that this function doesn’t work, we have 4 sonos speakers that are totally useless. 

When can we get our Music library back to the Sonos??????

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I’m having the same issue streaming from my iTunes library.  The Sonos system has always been glitchy with this platform.  It’s annoying, because I have thousands of songs and enjoy making my own playlists that I want to play through my entire home, which has Sonos speakers.  It’s a total bummer that I have to spend hours on the phone with support every several months to get this sorted, and it reoccurs over and over. Please FIX ASAP.

Sonos has changed the way that their new app accesses audio from shared libraries on the local network. The previous S2 App supported SMBv1 and HTTP protocols for file sharing, but these have known vulnerabilities and are no longer used by Microsoft, Google, Apple, Amazon etc. and all has now shifted to using SMBv2 (or higher) file sharing.  You may need to upgrade your shares… see these links depending on how you share your library tracks…

For MacOS users, see this thread.

For Windows users, see this thread.

Sonos sent out notices both in the S2 app, and in email, about these changes. They also updated the FAQ to reflect the update. While they have stated that the local library system continues to be worked on, I do not expect them to resume use of http or SMB v1, so if your computer uses them, I’d recommend re-adding your share, as is indicated in the controller, where it says ‘We’ve made security changes to supported libraries. You may need to re-add your library”.

If you’re having trouble finding this area in your controller, open the S2 controller, click on the gear icon at the upper right of the screen, then the word ‘Manage’ under it. Next, click on ‘Music Library’, and the page to enter/modify your local library will come up.

If you continue to have issues, I would recommend that you call Sonos Support to discuss it.

Tried advice from Airgetlam above (thank you) - since I have also lost access to entire library since app upgrade.

It was going OK until I reached the section on choosing files to share containing the music - there was just a greyed out old iTunes folder.

When I try to add my folder of iTunes music using the sonos app it says Sonos is unable to add it.

I did ring the helpline but there was a 65 min wait time which I am guessing does not work for a lot of people and no e-mail alternative.