Answered

how do I play my own stored music? and why do you send support emails that can’t be replied to? hardly supportive

how do I play my own stored music? and why do you send support emails that can’t be replied to? hardly supportive

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 25 April 2023, 14:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This is the first page I get when Googling "Sonos music library”: https://support.sonos.com/en/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I too seem to have better luck finding Sonos support articles using a search engine than with the internal Sonos search. Adding the “site” option to restrict the search to just the Sonos Support site cleans up a lot of clutter too.

site:support.sonos.com

So I followed the Sonos instructions and now have “My Music Library” appearing in the file directory with all the requisite folders appearing eg. albums, genre, etc - but there is nothing in the folders

No music files to play

Can anyone help?

thanks

Davide

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

So I followed the Sonos instructions and now have “My Music Library” appearing in the file directory with all the requisite folders appearing eg. albums, genre, etc - but there is nothing in the folders

No music files to play

Can anyone help?

thanks

Davide

You have run the “Update music index” command, presumably?

What format are your files?

thanks for responding

No - dont know what that is

they are all iTunes files

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Go to the Music Library page in your phone app (Settings/System then scroll down to Music Library. Then click on Update Music Index Now. Then go have a coffee whilst it indexes, if this is the first time it’s run. 

Your files may be stored and organised by iTunes but they are probably .mp3 files. 

So I now realise my music library is stored on the cloud. Sonos doesnt seem to allow me to link to the cloud?

Every time I try to add Apple Music as a service it simply tells me that “We ran into a problem. Please try again.” - Ive tried 100 times now with the same response and also checked and had my password confirmed as being correct

No, Sonos doesn’t allow access to cloud based storage, although there was,  at least until recently, a Western Digital ‘myCloud’ service which kind of simulated a cloud service from your NAS. But you’ve never been able to use One Drive, or other cloud based storage, it’s always been either on your local hard drive, or an NAS. 

However, you should be able to be adding Apple Music as a service. A few suggestions, since there’s not much detail to guide a better guess. First, check to see that your address is properly entered on your account at www.Sonos.com. This is a low probability thing, but certainly wouldn’t hurt. 

Second, try rebooting both your router first, then your Sonos speakers. 

Third, make sure neither your router or controller device is running a VPN, which could block the ability of the speakers to reach the Apple authorization servers. 

There’s also the possibility that Apple’s auth servers are experiencing difficulty in responding. Slim, but there were several weeks in which they wouldn’t authorize an Android device. 

If none of those help, it really would be helpful to know a lot more about your setup. Which version of the Sonos software, what you’re running the controller on and what OS it has, how your speakers are connected to your LAN, what router you’re using, for starters. 

Those of us who are not Sonos employees don’t have access to diagnostics, but if you choose to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it, I’d highly recommend a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

Thank you Bruce. I appreciate greatly your advice

Regards

I have just bought an album on iTunes and downloaded it to my Apple Music. Now when I go to play it on Sonos all I get is a message saying “Unable to play….. The song is not encoded correctly” What on earth does that mean? I simply bought an album like I would have 1000 times before. It is the first purchased Ive made since having my Sonos system.

Thanks for any help in advance

Davide

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Is it a supported format? https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-audio-formats-for-sonos-music-library

All my other music is on iTunes as this one is

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

All my other music is on iTunes as this one is

That doesn’t answer my question. iTunes is, in a way, a “player” and “organiser” of music. It is not a music format. The individual songs “held” in iTunes are individual files and those files will have a format, which is the .xxx in the filename. They might be .wav, .mp4, .aiff, etc.  Sonos supports certain formats and certain sample rates -ie how the music is encoded. 

They are mp4. All my other music is mp4 as well and works fine

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

And I presume that you’ve run the Update Music Index since adding the album, or it wouldn’t recognise the album at all?

Strange. Maybe try again, then if/when it fails, generate a diagnostics report and contact Sonos support and see what they can suggest.