Skip to main content
Question

how can i get the previous version of the app back? this one is useless

The new version of the app makes it extremely difficult to navigate with various sets of speakers in my house . Absolutely useless. No comparison with the previous version i urgently want back 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

126 replies

I know it might be impossible but: Any idea how a roll back might work for iPhones?

Build a time machine.  Then please share with the rest of us.  

I spend over an hour on the phone with tech support and was actually told the following.

Tech - You are having wifi issues.

Me - How come I didn't have any issues with the old app?

Tech - The old app was not advanced enough to find the issues and the new app is. 

Me- Say what

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I spend over an hour on the phone with tech support and was actually told the following.

Tech - You are having wifi issues.

Me - How come I didn't have any issues with the old app?

Tech - The old app was not advanced enough to find the issues and the new app is. 

Me- Say what

LMAO

I have 3 sonos systems and I can't get them to work on the new Sonos app.  I got one going after a lot of work and discovered that the new app is awful.  The last one just won't connect. 

Userlevel 1

Evidently SONOS can’t smell their own *.

According to the sales rep, Sonos is doubling down on their stupidity insisting that they will not return to the previous version.  

I am a dealer. I am cancelling a $6,000, 6 zone Sonos/Integra system today because I have a reputation that Sonos does not respect. 

My anger is burning a hole under my feet.  

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I did find that the PC app seems to be as before, and so the work around was to install that, find my system, update all that needed updating, and then the New Sonos app found my speakers.

I tried calling Sonos earlier but 50 minutes wait was too long.

New customer here.  I bought one Sonos device and cannot believe how horrific my experience has been so far.  From running back and forth to the router to get my wireless speaker to connect by ethernet cable to the app.  Then, unable to add any local music folder.  Backing out of any future relationship with Sonos….

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I know it might be impossible but: Any idea how a roll back might work for iPhones?

Build a time machine.  Then please share with the rest of us.  

It’s a bit involved but can be done.  Read this thread all the way to the end for detailed instructions.

Basically, you use an old version of itunes and another software package  to “trick” itunes into downloading the older version of the sonos app.  So in some ways it is llke a time machine.😀

The new version of the app makes it extremely difficult to navigate with various sets of speakers in my house . Absolutely useless. No comparison with the previous version i urgently want back 

I agree so much. The new version has certainly not been developed by someone using the app! I want the old app… please!

Bring back the old one!

After upgrade new version only - only troubles with Sonos. Can I get old version back on my iPhone ?

Is anyone from Sonos even reading these??? This is the worst app update. I went from full functionality to a garbage situation. I can't get my speakers to communicate with the app correctly. There's a big delay is response, and the newest trick is it dropped my tv access. So now I can't control my tv volume anymore. Is there ANY help to fix this? Where is the old app

Great, the link just directs you to the crappy version that sucks. Is there another way to go back to the old app

Sonos product management should be fired.  I have been in the tech industry for 30 years, built and sold companies valued at over $500m, and as the CEO I wouldn’t tolerate this abomination for two seconds.  I have multiple homes packed with Sonos gear and this ”Apple Maps Bad” release has me ready to toss my phone into the ocean when I attempt to do any of the actions which previously worked fine.  To the new product manger- Hot-fix or revert this steaming pile of an app!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I so agree. It is utter(rubbish spelt with a capital C) both visually and functionally. 

“I concur”  To the engineers and developers who worked on this project, I am sorry, this is a major fail. I imagine you all in a conference room working in your little scrum teams with your white boards littered with notes. But the one note which was missed was the #1 requirement of the end users of all music related apps, that is they MUST be user friendly. Quick and easy access to the features. My advice to quickly right the ship is to focus the majority of your efforts in creating an easy option for users to revert to the previous version. Those who are ok with the new version can stay put. The sooner you accomplish this the sooner this fire goes out! 

The new version is rubbish.  Sonos: FIX IT! It’s been over a month with thousands of complaints - is there anybody at all that actually finds it easier and more useful?  I’m trying to set up my Fireworks playlist for 7/4 - gone.  And with the library all messed up no way to get it back right now.  Hence my first visit to this community forum, learning now how bad it really is.  Uggh.  

Roll back steps to 16.1:-

I uninstalled the sonos app.

Went to apkmirror.com on my phone browser, and downloaded Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a). Then opened the download folder and ran the install. (You may have to select the permissions on your phone to allow you to do that). Following install I turned off wi-fi and mobile data, then went to play store and selected do not automatically update apps. Then turned wi-fi and mobile data back on, then ran the app and signed in.

Absolutely brilliant. Thanks!

Agreed, I have been a long term user of Sonos for over 10 years, its been a great product and the software was the glue that held it altogether.

This new app is dissappointing to say the least, difficult to find anything. All my playlists from my local network server have stopped workin on alarms, I can’t even play them now. 

General playback and setup has been problematic.

Also, no widget on Android now, so can’t control on my home screen. When I load up the app, I can’t control anything instantly, I have to wait 30 seconds for it to find the devices… this is no way to remotely control my speakers when I want to quickly skip a track or something. I do not like to leave the app open constantly, I only open it when i need to and like to have everything automated, of which automation is now broken.

New Roam just bought, the whole app is locked out saying its needs to be updated, but fails to update.

Really annoying. They need to resolve this and get it back working flawlessly otherwise the whole sonos concept is ruined and will have to return new product and start thinking of other solutions.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I just reinstalled Sonos Controller S2 on my Android cell phone using apkmirror.com 

It looks OK. All of my playlists, NAS access, radio stations appear to be intact.

I used version Sonos 16.1 (arm64-v8a) (nodpi) (Android 8.0+) from March12, 2024

But indexing does not work right?

Correct. No Indexing without app upgrade.😡

INDEXING UPDATE: I ripped new music to my NAS library using Apple Music on macOS on 6/30/24.

While the Sonos Controller 2 app installed from apkmirror.com continues to have grayed-out music library settings, the app presents and allows the playing of new music added to the library. It appears the indexing of the music library is done automatically. The grayed-out settings include “Schedule Music Index Updates” which is set to “on.” (daily)

I am unable to manually execute indexing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

INDEXING UPDATE: I ripped new music to my NAS library using Apple Music on macOS on 6/30/24.

While the Sonos Controller 2 app installed from apkmirror.com continues to have grayed-out music library settings, the app presents and allows the playing of new music added to the library. It appears the indexing of the music library is done automatically. The grayed-out settings include “Schedule Music Index Updates” which is set to “on.” (daily)

I am unable to manually execute indexing.

Hi @NAS Only, ditto on the v16.1 Android app with the v16.2 firmware. I am able to manually index my local library from the Windows desktop app, fwiw.

Badge

Absolutely agree. Switching my entire home system ( 8 rooms and receivers to BluOs in combo with NAD Receivers for the multimedia rooms)

Went to apkmirror.com on my phone browser, and downloaded Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a). Then opened the download folder and ran the install. (You may have to select the permissions on your phone to allow you to do that). Following install I turned off wi-fi and mobile data, then went to play store and selected do not automatically update apps. Then turned wi-fi and mobile data back on, then ran the app and signed in.

I tried this and it looked successful at first, but when I open the app I get a message that “an update is required” and that “this version of the Sonos App can longer control [my] system”

In particular, I find that I am unable to add back services such as radio stations, Libby and Spotify but the SONOS app refuses and wants to force me to update.  I am however, able to cast from spotify to Sonos, but I really want to get back my other services.

Did I miss a step or are there new limitations since this was first posted?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It's a shame one or a group of people can't get together and write a firmware and open source app for these speakers. After all the customer has bought the hardware outright.

I would hazard a guess people would pay for the privilege..

I tried this and it looked successful at first, but when I open the app I get a message that “an update is required” and that “this version of the Sonos App can longer control [my] system”

In particular, I find that I am unable to add back services such as radio stations, Libby and Spotify but the SONOS app refuses and wants to force me to update.  I am however, able to cast from spotify to Sonos, but I really want to get back my other services.

Did I miss a step or are there new limitations since this was first posted?s

I have the same issue. Since May I installed and used the old Sonos S2 16.1 Android app with success. As I heard Sonos recently launched a new important update of the app, I tested it today but still get stuck in the famous "configuration update loop". So I want to reinstall the old S2 16.1 version as I did before, but now it refuses to start giving a system message the new app version is required! The tweak to install the previous version is no longer valid... 😫