Gapless playback issues after 15.2 update

Userlevel 3
Badge

Is anyone else having issues with Gapless playback after updating to 15.2?

Scenario:

I have been using a loopable track on Apple Music via the built in Sonos player to play sleep sounds every night for years. This created a seamless sound with Gapless playback. 

Problem:

After the update to 15.2, there is a distinct gap between the end of the track and the beginning of the repeat making the feature unusable for sleep sounds.

Fix Needed

Restore previous function to allow Gapless playback on looped tracks.

and/or 

Allow reverting to a previous firmware

(Ideally allowing to revert by atleast two firmware revisions to allow people to experiment and see if a new update has fixed a previously experienced bug)

95 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Corry P 

I’m definitely still having the issue on some of my speakers, everything is fine on Play:1s but Ones, Beam & Port still have the issue.

I’ve submitted a diagnostic 432546941

Oh I never thought to try on different devices, I mainly use this on the Symfonisk frame. @hobaSoundWhat devices to you use?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Corry P 

I’m definitely still having the issue on some of my speakers, everything is fine on Play:1s but Ones, Beam & Port still have the issue.

I’ve submitted a diagnostic 432546941

Oh I never thought to try on different devices, I mainly use this on the Symfonisk frame@hobaSoundWhat devices to you use?

I have a pair of Era 300s and the Arc soundbar

Userlevel 3
Badge

While the audible gap between loopable tracks and seemlessly mixed albums has been shortened in recent updates, the issue still persists.

@Corry P , can you confirm that this issue is still being worked on?

Agreed. And I’m hearing it on other services, not just Apple Music. 

The gap is shorter, and it’s still there. Running 15.11. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jmwarren85 

We did release a fix for this last year but it seems a small number of users are still affected so we’re still working on a more complete resolution.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thankyou for the quick response @Corry P 

its great to know there is active work on this. Happy to provide assistance if needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jmwarren85 

We were able to reproduce the issue so no further data gathering is needed, but thanks for the offer!

Userlevel 2
Badge

new update, still not fixed :(

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

new update, still not fixed :(

It’s been 9 months since first reported, let’s go Sonos FFS!  

Gapless playback in Apple Music works perfectly on my Era 300 - but only when playing non-Dolby Atmos content OR when Spatial Music is OFF in the system settings.
When Spatial Music is ON - playback of Dolby Atmos content is terribly gapped.
As an example - Apple Music has multiple versions of The Beatles’ Abbey Road album: Atmos (“2019 Mix”) and non-Atmos (“Remastered”).
On my Era 300:
When Spatial Music is OFF: all Abbey Road versions play gaplessly. Same with any other album with gapless songs (e.g. Pink Floyd’s The Wall etc.)
When Spatial Music is ON: Atmos version of Abbey Road (2019 Mix) plays with gaps between all songs, non-Atmos version still perfectly plays without gaps. Same with any other non-Atmos album.

The issue with Spatial Music gapless playback was on all 15.x SW versions since I purchased my Era 300 in September 2023, same with the latest SW 16.0.
This completely ruins the spatial music experience with a lot of my favorite music, so I have to keep it disabled most of the time.
Is this issue being addressed by the Sonos team? Can we expect it fixed in the foreseeable time?

Userlevel 3
Badge

A few replies above you will see Corry’s response (Sonos Staff). They are aware of the issue and are working on it.
Thanks for adding your information to it.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Jmwarren85 

We were able to reproduce the issue so no further data gathering is needed, but thanks for the offer!

no fix yet with the latest update. Corry, any updates on when this will get fixed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Eclipse83 

We believe this issue was (largely) fixed with the February update. Again, however, some people may still be affected, so we are continuing work.

Apologies for not updating the thread earlier - it seems I didn’t receive an update on this ticket, likely due to the non-universal nature of the fix.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Eclipse83 

We believe this issue was (largely) fixed with the February update. Again, however, some people may still be affected, so we are continuing work.

Apologies for not updating the thread earlier - it seems I didn’t receive an update on this ticket, likely due to the non-universal nature of the fix.

I hope this helps.

Do you need any more data?

If the current fix didn’t change your situation, I’d guess submitting a diagnostic and calling in would help Sonos track down the particular issue you’re experiencing. 

Era 300, update 16.1 - no change: gapless playback still doesn’t work with spatial audio.
Works OK with non-Dolby Atmos content OR when Spatial Music is OFF in the system settings.

Userlevel 2
Badge

If the current fix didn’t change your situation, I’d guess submitting a diagnostic and calling in would help Sonos track down the particular issue you’re experiencing. 

except he stated above they stated above they had all the info they needed….but clearly not if it is still not fixed (as they thought it would be).

Hence I was asking if they needed more real world data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Eclipse83 

Hi @Eclipse83 

I hope this helps.

Do you need any more data?

Thank you, but I don’t believe so, no.

Era 300, update 16.1.1 - no progress.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Era 300, update 16.1.1 - no progress.

weird, i thought the Era speakers are the ones that were working?

depressing to say the least, we are well over a year now with this issue.