Skip to main content

Error 1000 - SOLVED (in my case)

1. Recently I bought 2 Sonos Roam speakers and tried to add one of them to my system in the mobile app (v.80.01.07, Android), but the setup failed at the last stage - at adding and trying to update the speaker. After this my new Roam was seen in my system but its state was “Not registered”. I couldn’t use it - the app suggested to update the speaker but I got the “Error 1000” message.
  1. Then I Thought about adding my Roam in the Sonos controller program (v.16.2, MS Windows 11) on my PC. On starting the program suggested to update (I thought - to update the program, but it updated my speaker as I understood later). I aggreed and the update succeded.
  1. After that I made factory reset on this Roam speaker (https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reset-your-sonos-product).
  1. Then I tried again to add this speaker in the mobile app and heard the greeting sound (id didn’t sounded earlier). This time the speaker was successfully added to my system.

I repeated all the steps with the second speaker and it was added too.

Maybe my story will help someone…

By the way there’s no “Error 1000” in the error codes list on the official page: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/topic/update-issues

Moderator edit: Combined posts, corrected typo in title

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

I just attempted this workflow on the iOS app and it did not resolve the issue. I still cannot add any of my newly purchased speakers into my existing system. It’s extremely frustrating and disappointing that Sonos is selling speakers for a high price tag that are completely non-functional at this time. Sonos, please fix your app.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I also cannot add a new Sonos Roam to my system, and the new Android app has made my system unusable. Nothing works right, and I cannot access my extensive music library on my NAS, which was my main reason for adopting the Sonos system in the first place. Last year, they took away the ability to play music files from your phone, too. The updated apps are horrible, and my Roam is nothing more than an expensive brick. I have wasted many hours trying to get this stuff fixed and corrected. Sonos, why did you do this to your users? Are you even listening? Do you ever actually respond with anything more than pop-up ads and other promotional crap? You have essentially stolen hundreds of dollars of my money. I think it’s time for all users affected the way I have been to complain to the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection about these actions, which I suspect are being done to gradually force everyone to use paid streaming services.

Userlevel 3
Badge

And now they’ve screwed up the Windows app as well, forcing you to update it. I have followed the update prompts several times, but each time I open the ‘updated’ app, it tells me I have to update it! It’s an endless loop, and the app is unusable - blank except for the prompt tell you to update it. What the hell is going on?

Same issue here. Error 1000 on 2 x Sonos moves.  New APP is causing all sorts of issues on Android. Can't connect speakers. Others do t show in the AOP. Volume control issues. Terrible. 

I was also trying to add a Roam to my system via the new APP.  I got the Error 1000.  This was happening simultaneously with receiving the June 4 system & App update.  (FIX: mandatory app update pop-up that prevents using the entire system is obnoxious.)   

Today, I went back to the old Windows Sonos App as suggested above, and it successfully applied the update to the Roam I was adding to the system (now all devices are at 79.1-53290).   

Then I used the new app to complete the registration of the device.  (chimes between phone & roam, then button presses on the roam.)  The final button presses on the roam took about 4 tries. 

I’d conclude that the new app has trouble with updating roams.

Android phone w/ new app (80.02.05-release+20240603.d1dabe), old Windows app (the tan icon).

My System has 10 devices, 4 line-in connections & a NAS Music Library w/ 2TB of music.   

Also having the same issue with the GEN three subwoofer as well as a sound arc.  The new app update didn’t help. Hopefully we can all get an answer from Sonos as to what is happening.

Mike - thank you, thank you, thank you!

I first downloaded the Windows Sonos Controller app from the web downloads page. When I launched it the first time, it did run an update (my Roam was turned on).  After the update, I still had issues where the app was useless and so was the controller app.  But if I turned off the Roam my apps worked just fine. 

So, I continued with the factory reset of the Roam & then found that the Sonos app on my Android phone did begin the connection process and I was able to connect my new Roam successfully!  Yeah!

Thanks again for posting your results.  It really helps when we can’t find the solutions on their support page.

Badge

After hours of the normal solutions the OPs solution worked for my Sonos Move. Thanks a bunch I wouldn't have tried that at all.

HolyF**sh.. OP THANKYOU! I ran through 6 of the most frustrating hours of trouble shooting. I was tearing apart my whole Sonos Setup incluting Wifi Mesh Extenders. Nothing was working. I was running into the same issue. 

You truly saved my evening. It worked like charm on my Sonos5

From the bottom of my heart - Thankyou!

Userlevel 1

this is just so s***t. after incredible struggles connecting 4x Play:1 speakers to the no wifi hub we managed to get one device working. the others just display errors and code 1000. tried everything, even ethernet cable, same result.

We managed to get the three remaining speakers into the app at one point but they were not “registered” and just disappeared (!) after like 15 mins.

eventually chatted with “sonos support” and my god what an experience; in the end he acknowledged that "It seems to be an error from the new Sonos app".

No s***t Charlie. What a mess this is.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

This worked for me too.  Crazy that the latest and greatest sonos app can’t update speakers!

In my case, I was able to figure out that the ZP120 I was trying to add was running 14.16.  The windows app was able to successfully update it to 16.2.  That’s where it stopped though…The windows app would not register the device to my account, and it got stuck asking for updates (which would not complete properly).

Fortunately I was able to use the app to register it, and now it’s good to go.

Sonos obviously doesn't care. No updates have been made and I believe a class action law suit is due fir us sucker's who bought into a scam.

Has anyone does this update through the windows app by using the new Sonos app (and not the Sonos S1 Controller app)?

When I download the sonos app, it doesn’t have any option to update anything nor add any speaker

And my roam, which is similarly stuck on the “not registered” screen on my mobile, doesn’t even show up on the windows app

Has anyone does this update through the windows app by using the new Sonos app (and not the Sonos S1 Controller app)?

When I download the sonos app, it doesn’t have any option to update anything nor add any speaker

And my roam, which is similarly stuck on the “not registered” screen on my mobile, doesn’t even show up on the windows app

By way of update for anyone else in my position, I’m including what worked for me. And I would just echo the astounding INCOMPETENCE of the customer service agents at Sonos, none of whom came up with this solution themselves, and in fact even gave me incorrect information about my router being incompatible (it’s not even on the sonos list of incompatible but workable devices, let alone the fully incompatible list) just so they could get off the phone. I’m sorry, but the level of idiocy and lack of training is out of control

My set up is as follows: have a spectrum router (SAX2V1S), a sonos boost, two fives and subwoofer and now a roam. I had used the boost to successfully add the fives and the sub, but when adding the roam I kept getting 1,002 and 1,008 as errors, both of which deal with not being able to update the roam. I would add the roam but then get stuck after trying the “fix it” button when it said the roam was “not registered”. I tried downloading the desktop app but my roam wouldn’t appear and there were no prompts to update anything (despite this being a solution widely reported by others)

Since the roam apparently doesn’t work with the boost, I did the following: disconnected the boost and restarted my router and set it to 2.4ghz (the spectrum app has a setting where it just transmits in 2.4ghz for 30 minutes if you click a button in the spectrum app). I then factory reset my roam and at that point I deleted my sonos app and reinstalled it and then when the time came I clicked on set up a new system. It recognized the roam and had me do the same thing as before where I needed to further update the roam after the initial steps of adding the roam, except this time it actually started and finished the update without an error message

I then basically reversed everything. I reconnected the boost to my router, I restarted the router and then unplugged and replugged my boost. After everything was done rebooting, I logged into sonos app and it recognized my initial setup of the two fives and the subwoofer (if yours doesn’t do that, you may need to delete and reinstall the sonos app so that it forgets the new system that you set up with just your roam and recognizes the old system again). Finally, I factory reset the roam again and added it to my system with the two fives and the subwoofer, but this time it asked me to do some other steps such as playing a chime from the roam and then pressing the play and plus buttons at the same time, and VOILA, the roam was added successfully and plays music along with the rest of my system

I must end by again mentioning the COMPLETE LACK OF UTILITY from the ENTIRE Sonos customer service team (or at least the 8 different people, including supervisors, that I spoke to across three days, four phone calls, three web chats and 9 hours)