Answered

Connect Sonos Five to new network

• 28 May 2023
  • 3 replies

I honestly don’t know why I bother with Sonos anymore. I’ve been a user since Connect Amp (which I still own) but it’s just become so difficult to use. 

Today I just want to change the wireless network on a Sonos S2 system. You open the app and there’s a banner at the top “Sonos and your mobile device must be on the same network. Let’s fix it. 

Great, that’s exactly what I want! 

Your mobile device is connected to NetworkName. Update your Sonos network settings to connect your products to this network. 

Awesome. Also what I want. 

I click “Update Network” 

I click “Find System” 

after a moment it says “Sonos not found. Make sure you’re signed in and your mobile device is connected to the internet and on the same WiFi as Sonos. 
Er...Sonos isn’t on any WiFi system. that’s what I came here to change! 

And I’ve completely left out the part where my S1 system was powered on. 

Honestly, this is f#$%^ing ridiculous 

icon

Best answer by jdrans 28 May 2023, 05:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

So, your devices were connected to another network, and you want to tell them about the new network?

How do you communicate the change to them? The network they were connected to has disappeared. There’s no way your controller can reach them. 

If you were to follow the instructions in the new router - installation instructions FAQ, you’d connect one Sonos device with an Ethernet cable to your new router, so that your controller can now find them on the temporary SonosNet network you created by wiring one device. Alternately, you could just name your new network with the same SSID and password as your previous ones, and the Sonos devices would just connect.

Once you’ve told the Sonos devices that there’s a new SSID and password, you can then remove the temporary Ethernet cable, and because the Sonos are now aware of the new data, they’ll remain connected.

This is fairly rudimentary networking stuff. I’m not really sure it needs the invective. It certainly lowered my desire to provide the fairly simple response.

Thanks for the *** response Bruce. 
Not quite sure why you would take the time to  bother.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I did, for some reason, have better luck with my iPad mini 6 than my iPhone 12. No idea why. No ethernet cable required apparently.