Skip to main content

Can't add Music Folder share to Sonos

For some time, I have been unable to play ‘iTunes’ etc. over Sonos.  I get the error ‘The computer ***** refused to let Sonos connect to it.  The Apple firewall is turned off and I have tried diasblib the Norton firewall but I still get the same error.  There are some apps that can run Malware scans but AFAIK they are not active firewalls.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction for solving this.

Paul Bedwell

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Sorry, it should read ‘and I have tried disabling the Norton firewall’!

Userlevel 7

What path are you using to connect your Music Library?

Under System Preferences > Sharing, what is listed as your Computer Name? Do you have any items checked on the left column? Have you added your music folder in the Shared Folders window?

Thanks for replying.

I am using the standard location for a Mac i.e. the Users Music folder.  I select Manage>Music Library Settings>+>My Music Folder.

My computer’s name is ** iMac New.  I have the first four items checked Screen down to Printer including File Sharing.  I now have the Music folder entered under Shared Folders.  I had had this before but it seems to have disappeared!  Still doesn’t work.

Paul Bedwell

Userlevel 7

Have you recently updated your Mac OS? Which OS version are you using? Try unchecking “File Sharing” and see if that makes a difference.

I did update to Big Sur, in January I think.  I believe that this problem pre-dated the change but I could be wrong.

Unchecking ‘File Sharing’ has had no effect.  Sorry.

Thanks for taking the time to assist.  I’m very grateful.

Paul

Userlevel 7

Many Big Sur users have experienced problems connecting to their music library. I have yet to come across a good solution other than some people have uninstalled the Sonos S2 app and switched back to S1.

Thanks

I tried switching back to S1 but S1 said it was not compatible with my system!  I can’t face uninstalling all the components of the system.  Or is it simple?!

I guess I will have to wait until someone sorts this out.

Anyway, thanks for everything you’ve done to try to help me.

Most of the time, I use Alexa to play my verbal requests but it would be nice to have my iTunes playlists.

Best wishes

Paul

Userlevel 7

If you are interested in switching back to S1, try the steps in this thread:

Good luck!

bedvin15,

Perhaps also see if this thread has any useful information that may assist…

https://en.community.sonos.com/music%2Dservices%2Dand%2Dsources%2D228994/the%2Dcomputer%2Drefused%2Dto%2Dlet%2Dsonos%2Dconnect%2Dto%2Dit%2Detc%2Don%2Dmacbook%2Dpro%2D6854282

Thanks, I’ll go through them and see if there’s anything useful.

Paul