BBC radio shows disappeared from TuneIn

• 4 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge +1
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 8 replies

I use TuneIn to access BBC radio on an almost daily basis.

Any shows broadcast on the previous evening are usually available the day after. This was the case until yesterday when recent shows are unavailable.

Any known reason for this. I have removed and uninstalled TuneIn but no difference

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

Please see this BBC post : https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/37e4e3f6-fbd2-4c14-8d72-7f7139641582

Badge +1

Thanks for this.

What I cannot understand is why it has only just happened.

I have been in touch with TuneIn and they just issued the following which is basically on your attachment. 

Please be advised that BBC streams domestically in the United Kingdom are no longer available on TuneIn with the exception of select third-party devices and platforms. BBC podcasts are not however affected by this change. When the BBC makes its stations available on platforms such as ours, it asks that we have the listener sign into a BBC account to listen or for us to share data directly with them about what you listen to. Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate these requests at this time. Despite these changes in the UK, we remain committed to providing our listeners around the world the best listening experience possible and continue to value our partnership with the BBC.

Any thoughts as to why now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I think it’s been a gradual change, although i thought it was complete some time ago. Have a look at my post here, which details some options to overcome this issue for radio stations.

I think there may be some confusion here.  BBC withdrew support for live stations from Tune-In last year, but allowed it to continue on third party systems like Sonos.  

However, as Amazon Alexa also uses TuneIn, this made using Alexa to launch BBC live stations problematic, although workarounds were found.  But @Brin makes no mention of Alexa.

However, @Brin , you don’t seem to be referring to live streams, but to some form of ‘listen again’.  So please can you clarify where and how you have been listening to these shows, but which no longer works?

For that matter, @Brin  doesn’t actually mention Sonos!  I hope this is a Sonos-related query!!