Question

Atmos sound stopped working in Era 300

Userlevel 1

I set up my Era 300 speaker yesterday, testing it with Apple music. Both lossless and Atmos sound worked fine. Today, the speaker doesn't play Atmos at all.

If I select in IPhone music settings “Atmos automatic", I get Atmos sound with my AirPods Pro (audible and shown in the Apple music app). When switching to Era300, the Apple music switches automatically to lossless. If I select “atmos always on” in the iphone music settings, I get again Atmos sound with my AirPods Pro but even the lossless sign disappears from the Apple music app. Thus, Era300 is playing only normal voice quality, not even lossless. It is of course noticeable in the Era300 sound quality that it doesn't play Atmos.  

I haven't found any way to get Atmos working with Era300 even though it worked well yesterday. Reboots and any changes in settings doesn't help. As Atmos is a major value point of Era300, and Apple music one of the major services for Atmos music, I will return the product unless I get this issue fixed. Any ideas what's going on and how to resolve this?

71 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi there. You are not alone. I have a full atmos surround setup with Sonos Arc, Sub and two rears. 

Apple Music has been working flawlessly with atmos. Today there is no atmos on any tracks. 

The Apple Music atmos tracks work if played through Apple TV. No longer work via the latest pile of crap Sonos app. 
To ensure I was actually getting atmos from streaming I tested ‘Cuff it’ from Beyoncé on Apple Music using the Sonos app via Apple Music. 

NO ATMOS

then I played the same track through Amazon Music

FULL ATMOS

i tested other tracks from pink Floyd to Harry Styles on both music services and Apple Music is no longer streaming in atmos Amazon works fine  

So my conclusion is Sonos have broken Apple Music atmos.  Either through a firmware update or through their absolutely atrocious new app which is a pile of horse dung 💩 

if I can play atmos tracks on Amazon and Apple was fine upto a week ago then Sonos is too blame here

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sami71 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Please be aware that you can only play Atmos music on Sonos by using the Sonos app - no amount of altering settings on your iPhone or in the Apple Music app will change that. Please browse and select from Apple Music from within the Sonos app - to browse, please tap the circular Apple Music logo found under “My Services” on the Home Screen.

You must first enable Spatial Music in the Era 300’s settings (Settings icon » [room with Era 300] » Spatial Music » On), but if you had it working yesterday then I don’t think you’ll need to do this.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @yakuzah 

We were unable to reproduce this issue in our testing. I recommend you remove the Apple Music service from your Sonos system, then add it again.

Remove a music service account from Sonos

Add a music service to Sonos

If that does not solve the issue, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Apple Music removed from Sonos App

still not working

Amazon Music via Sonos app = Dolby atmos

Apple Music via Sonos app = Stereo no Atmos

if you think I’m waiting 120 minutes in your support queue your deluded!!

You’ve broken it please fix it. If it worked a week ago and Amazon works and now Apple Music doesn’t work anymore, then the issue is at your end not mine. 

I’ve proved my system. TV, Blu-ray, streamed movies, sport and Amazon music all work perfectly. 

Apple Music that was working is no longer working

honestly Sonos takes so much time creating great hardware, it’s a shame you don’t carry out the same diligence with your software and firmware. 

So my preferred music provider that was working with atmos is now not working. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @yakuzah 

As mentioned, we have been unable to reproduce the issue you report. It seems likely, therefore, that the issue is local or account-based, so troubleshooting needs to be continued from your end of things, not ours. We have no way of continuing an investigation if we cannot reproduce the issue.

Here is the screenshot provided by my colleague to show me he had no issues playing Atmos music from Apple:

I appreciate that you don’t want to wait 2 hours for a phone call. You can instead start a support chat session at the same link where you can find our phone number: https://support.sonos.com/s/contact Or, you can wait for the queue times to come down somewhat - perhaps they will be lower next week.

You mentioned playing to an Arc - have you tried rebooting it? Just unplug it from power for a few seconds - it may help. It could also help to reboot your phone.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Here is a screen capture of music playing through the Sonos app via Amazon music 

the track is in atmos on both streaming services

no atmos on Apple Music. 

Just to show the track is actually atmos on Apple Music 

yesterday while troubleshooting I restarted my system three times. 

i have also factory reset the system and setup all over again. Same result

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @yakuzah 

I was not in any way saying that you do not have an issue. I was saying that we do not have that same issue, so, by logical extension, we cannot possibly investigate the issue by ourselves. In order for us to even attempt to look into this issue for you, we require you to please get in touch with our support team

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Your chat bot is useless. It just directs you to your support number which is currently expecting your customers to wait online hoping to speak to someone in 138 minutes

over two hours waiting on a phone is ridiculous. 

none of these problems existed before your last firmware and Sonos app update. 

it’s a Sonos problem And reading the forums I am not the only one experiencing issues. 

The fact that one music service works and some Apple music doesn’t is a clear indication there is a problem at your end. 

So whilst I’m expected to wait on the phone for nearly three hours with little hope of anyone actually fixing the problem, what is Sonos doing ?  Apart from streaming  a test track this proves very little if there is an intermittent issue 

Your chat bot is useless. It just directs you to your support number which is currently expecting your customers to wait online hoping to speak to someone in 138 minutes

over two hours waiting on a phone is ridiculous. 

none of these problems existed before your last firmware and Sonos app update. 

it’s a Sonos problem And reading the forums I am not the only one experiencing issues. 

The fact that one music service works and some Apple music doesn’t is a clear indication there is a problem at your end. 

So whilst I’m expected to wait on the phone for nearly three hours with little hope of anyone actually fixing the problem, what is Sonos doing ?  Apart from streaming  a test track this proves very little if there is an intermittent issue 

I know you are upset over your very first world problem of not being able to hear spatial audio on your audio system, but the Sonos rep is very politely and professionally trying to help you.  How about toning it down a notch?  This isn’t life and death, it’s barely an inconvenience, so let’s treat it as such, huh?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’m sorry I won’t tone it down. This system cost over £2000????  I have been buying Sonos for twenty years. 

so no I won’t tone it down. Sonos are at fault which I have proven twice. But I’m expected to sit for half my life on a support number which at any moment could cut me off and push me to the back of the queue. 

Amazon works and Apple does not. 

it’s not life and death it’s a system that is not working as advertised and a service that clearly states it supports atmos and it is not. 

So I won’t pipe down no. 

Same problem here (region The Netherlands). Please let us know when problems are solved.

Same problem in Poland, no Atmos in Apple Music via Sonos (2 x Era 300).

Userlevel 7

@yakuzah

As @Corry P has said it’s not a Sonos issue. See the screen shot below playing via the Sonos App. My Era 300 stereo pair is called Fireplace. BTW..,have you updated your Sonos gear and the App? 

Exactly the same problem here. Arc + sub + 2xOneSL

Same problem as well. Amazon works fine,Apple Music not. 

Same issue here. Arc era 300x2. No atmos playing within Sonos app playing Apple Music. worked fine yesterday so something has changed 

Same issue here playing Apple Music in Sonos app. Chicago, USA. Arc + sub + 2 era 300. Tried everything. 

Fix this.

Too expensive to have this issue. I was really looking forward to the Spatial Audio experience. You’re ruining my Father’s Day.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Ajtrek

the issue has nothing to do with client versions or firmware. 

Both my Sonos app and hardware is running the latest. 

Amazon music works.  Apple Music does not. The music as far as I am aware is streamed through Sonos service and is stripping the atmos from Apple Music tracks.  

Or the music is being stripped of atmos due to a firmware bug  

Spatial music is enabled in the app otherwise Amazon atmos Would not play  

Since I don’t have Eras but Arc + OneSLs, it looks the issue is more Arc- than Era-related 

2x Era 300 restored to factory settings, Log out and log back in to all accounts. Restarted iPad. Sonos application on Ipad Pro 2024 reinstalled, system reconfigured and adding Apple Music to Sonos, spacial audio enabled in Sonos and Apple, WiFi works and there are no connection problems (5 Ghz). Unfortunately, Atmos still doesn't work.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@posttad  thanks. I am seeing same issues. Gone through the same reset etc. 

definitely a Sonos issue. 

Userlevel 1

Hi @Sami71 

Please be aware that you can only play Atmos music on Sonos by using the Sonos app - no amount of altering settings on your iPhone or in the Apple Music app will change that. Please browse and select from Apple Music from within the Sonos app - to browse, please tap the circular Apple Music logo found under “My Services” on the Home Screen.

You must first enable Spatial Music in the Era 300’s settings (Settings icon » [room with Era 300] » Spatial Music » On), but if you had it working yesterday then I don’t think you’ll need to do this.

I hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. However, a few notes that you should consider:
1) One day before posting my issue here, I was using Era300 through iPhone Apple music app (not Sonos app). Atmos was working fine. Atmos worked well thru Apple music app for the few days after I installed my Era300, but suddenly it failed to work. I am 100% positive about this. Thus, discontinuation of Atmos was caused either by a change in you system or app as my environment remained the same. I have the latest app and firmware installed, also.

2) As you see from numerous posts here, this is not a local issue but appears around the globe. I’m based in Finland, and we'll soon have all continents reporting of the same problem.

3) If your policy is indeed that Atmos will work only through Sonos app, I will return my Era300 (luckily ny retailer allows full refund). Usability of the Sonos app is unfortunately too poor considering e.g. delays and other issues in the UI. Furthermore, I hate companies’ tactics of trying to force their customers to use only their app instead of letting them embrace their favorite choice. Personally, I like to use Sonos app to consume available radio stations not available in Apple music, but your app is far away from be coming my defacto music interface.

Lastly, I note that I tested my Era300 with Sonos app. Unfortunately Atmos works only sporadically. When playing apple music playlist “hits in spatial/Atmos” (sorry not sure what’s the exact English name of the list), sometimes Atmos is on, sometimes not. I fail to troubleshoot rootcauses for this. Then again, troubleshooting is not my responsibily, as a high end product like Sonos should work as promised in your marketing messages. 

Summarizing, I am disappointed. I will give my Era300 still a few days next week, but if the Atmos problems continue, I'm done with the product.

Sami

Hi @Sami71 

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks @Sami71 

seems there is a growing number of people here experiencing the same issue. Streaming Apple Music through the Sonos app does not produce atmos on specific equipment. 

it was working for me a week ago. Now IT is not. 

amazon works 100% of the time. 

I'm encountering the same problem as well. It appears that many others are having similar issues.
Dolby Atmos Badge not showing on Era 300 (tried all methods that others had shared) : r/sonos (reddit.com)

Atmos in Apple Music on Sonos also worked without problems. It disappeared a about week ago. I just turned on Sonos on Ipad in the morning and Atmos on Apple was not there. Unfortunately, Amazon does not work on Sonos in Poland, It is a pity.