Volume normalization

Show first post

142 replies

@106rallye Not true. Radio stations employ compressor/limiters in their broadcast chain. So it’s not necessarily *only* the output of the studio mixer that commands loudness. It can be addressed anywhere in the stream, even post the compressed signal.

The point is that 

1. loudness variation between music sources exists
  1. we have all invested heavily in Sonos equipment
  2. Sonos is in a position to create active compressor/limiter software that can address this
  3. Is Sonos responsible? No! Can they mitigate this? Yes...
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’m not saying they couldn’t, but in my opinion problems should be eradicated at the source. The source in this case is a radio station/broadcast chain that maybe could alter their settings if they know there is a complaint. Otherwise precious programming capacity by Sonos would be used to cure someone else’s faults - which they may not even be aware of.

• 106rallye: I did send the issue simultaneously to the radio stations, where the problems exit, when I sent that original message.  Of course they want to point the finger the other direction :)   Kind of normal these days.  Thanks for your reply.

I second this. Please add volume normalization. It is very annoying when you have to change volume to hear the music. 

It has been a year since this request. Has it been implemented?

It’s been a lot more than a year since this request was made.  People have been asking for it since the beginning of Sonos.  The fact we don’t have it yet gives you an idea how much interest Sonos has in fixing it.

Or perhaps how difficult it might be. 

Apple has already done the work.  Volume normalization is built in to iTunes and Apple Music.  But it doesn’t work on Sonos.  I’m not an expert, but it sounds like the heavy lifting is already done.  

There used to be a FAQ where Sonos said they take note of the iTunNorm tag from iTunes. That FAQ, which also dealt with ReplayGain, has evidently been pulled.

Since I won’t let iTunes infest my PC I’ve never tested iTunNorm, but ReplayGain does work, after a fashion.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Sonos needs volume normalization. Even services that have it such as Spotify pandora and Apple Music are not normalized when playing on Sonos.

+1

Spotify tracks with old tracks make quite a mess of low and high volumes

Omg. This issue has been around for years and as someone that changed my ecosystem over to Sonos its extremely disappointing to say the least. 

The issue happens with any of the streaming services. Has Sonos even given us a status update on this? As a company whose sole focus is audio, why hasn’t this been addressed yet?

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is a no-brainer

SONOS; you have to fix audio normalization, period! We want to listen to playlists without a volume roller coaster-experience. This is way past due and should not be an issue in 2020.

I’m invested in these products and I think you’ve done a great job, except this issue; and it’s not a small one. You’re bleeding costumers and new ones will think twice when they hear about this.

Please don’t give us another generic answer. Give us real and honest communication; and whatever you need to do - get it done now!

I’m usually a composed character but this ludicrous drives me crazy. Probably because I’m an engineer and appreciate thought through-solutions; which is why I bought your products in the first place.

get it done!

Add me to the list of folks clamoring for this.

One of the big selling points for me to go with Sonos was the ability to switch between different music sources with ease. So, I build playlists/queues using Spotify, Bandcamp, my own local library and a couple other sources. I love being able to switch between these sources so a normalization that worked across different sources is what I’m looking for.

I only have a playbar so far, but really want to invest in more Sonos equipment for around the house, this is literally the single issue that gives me pause to invest further.

Seeing how long this discussion has been going on, I really think Sonos needs to either get off the pot and do whatever it takes to add this feature or they need to let us know it’s not possible for whatever reasons so that we can move on from the discussion.

Be careful what you wish for! If you want the best audio quality then you probably don’t want to be using any automatic gain boosting or limiting. Probably fine for background music, but I would imagine it would be a poor compromise on hardware and software like Sonos which streams content from lots of different sources. Spotify know in advance what they are streaming as they benchmark every song as they encode it and send the volume data along with the music file. Sonos would no doubt have to use a very blunt instrument to achieve the same result with many different sources.

Please stick to factual truth, what you are expressing is wrong as for spotify volume normalization. Metadata files do not impact the audio quality rendering.

Why would this butcher music? If the only thing this does is play around with gain, from one track to the next? 

Well said. The spotify audio metadata files do not lose any bit of audio data. All info are avail online, kindly refrain from expressing false opinions and stick to facts to build this thread on solid grounds. 

TLDR:

Hi

Convinced normalization was a feature in the Sonos 1 app but has disappeared from the new Sonos 2 app. Would love to see it reinstated please. Having major volume issues with the new app.

Many thanks 

TLDR:

Hi

Convinced normalization was a feature in the Sonos 1 app but has disappeared from the new Sonos 2 app. Would love to see it reinstated please. Having major volume issues with the new app.

Many thanks 

No, it wasn’t. Nothing’s changed in that regard.

It can never be a feature of a controller or, more specifically, the players unless normalisation tags are provided along with each track. The services don’t offer this to Sonos, and the solution for local music library files has been half-baked for years and years.

It can never be a feature of a controller or, more specifically, the players unless normalisation tags are provided along with each track. The services don’t offer this to Sonos, and the solution for local music library files has been half-baked for years and years.

Thanks for clarifying. I think I was thinking of Amazon Music.

Yes ridiculous that this option is not present - that’s why I use Logitech Media Server (LMS) with Sonos (UPnP bridge). Music volume is normalized (this is an option in LMS), the mobile site for controlling is excellent (Material Skin) and it contains a lot more apps. Also a big advantage is that you can control a huge local music library. I know this is not a path most people are willing to take - but sometimes you need to take drastic measures :)

Yes ridiculous that this option is not present{..}

Thanks for your tips kaosnews. I presume this works only with local libraries and not with any major streaming services? Or am I wrong thinking so?

Tschus 

Yes ridiculous that this option is not present{..}

Thanks for your tips kaosnews. I presume this works only with local libraries and not with any major streaming services? Or am I wrong thinking so?

Tschus 

The normalization works indeed on local libraries and it works for me with Deezer (don’t know it it works Spotify etc.). Downside to use Logitech Media Server is that you need to install this server on your computer or NAS (I use it on my NAS), but it got tons of features I miss with Sonos (I’m long time Logitech Squeezbox user, still use it btw).

The normalization works indeed on local libraries [...]

You are what I call a power user man...I love you :D

They should hire people like you lol

Not trying to promote Logitech Media Server :) but there are some more nice feature:

• you can enable ‘Don’t stop the Music’ feature. As soon as you approach the end of the currently queued up music, it will try to add some matching music to keep the party going. You can use it on your local library but also Spotify or Deezer
  • Excellent mobile web interface

Lot more… found this post today with some pros/cons: https://en.community.sonos.com/smart-home-integrations-229108/logitech-media-server-3rd-party-addition-for-sonos-devices-6835500

Not trying to promote Logitech Media Server :) but there are some more nice feature[...]

Just tried it and honestly that is NOT an easy set up, at all!!! I gave up after 3 hours of hassle and hair pulling. On top of that, it’s not a workable patch for users controlling their sonos solely via their android or iOS app :(

Sonos needs volume normalization. Even services that have it such as Spotify pandora and Apple Music are not normalized when playing on Sonos.

HOW is this functionality not built in yet? Everything else I own has normalization, but when I run things through Sonos, kiss it goodbye. It’s maddening on a TV to switch between streaming services, have your ears blown out, and scramble for the volume. Please fix this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

HOW is this functionality not built in yet? Everything else I own has normalization, but when I run things through Sonos, kiss it goodbye. It’s maddening on a TV to switch between streaming services, have your ears blown out, and scramble for the volume. Please fix this. 

Normalization between TV content and streaming content is not possible. Think about it.

Normalization between content on the same service is technically possible, but not implemented on Sonos.