Skip to main content

The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Aug 27, 2024. See release notes.

In this update:

• Accessibility improvements in Settings
  • Improved smoothness and reliability for product setup
  • Added the ability to clear the queue on Android
  • Added Night Sound toggle in Room Settings for sound bars

You can also follow along with updates in this article: 

What a mess. I have tried to connect my iTunes music folder to the sonos system and it keeps giving me error code 913. Tried the suggested method and that won't work. This is rediculous. 

What a mess. I have tried to connect my iTunes music folder to the sonos system and it keeps giving me error code 913. Tried the suggested method and that won't work. This is rediculous. 

What type of computer  are you using and version of OS?

Release notes from today’s app update, along with notes on last week’s firmware update too:

80.05.07 (Android)
80.05.05 (iOS)

Release date: 7/31/2024

In this update:

• Improves stability when adding new products
  • Addresses an issue where the app used excess phone battery

We’ve also released firmware version 80.1-55172 for Sonos products which contains the following changes:

• Improves responsiveness of volume changes
  • Improves time to add a new song to the queue in certain conditions
  • Addresses an issue with local library browsing timing out

What about the ability to downgrade to S1? I’m not seeing that in any of the upcoming updates? 

What about the ability to downgrade to S1? I’m not seeing that in any of the upcoming updates? 

That is meant to come in August sometime, according to the Dutch news report/Sonos interview last month. But other things due in August look to have shifted so it might be September. But it has been listed as coming in the New App road map in another thread from Sonos:

We've still got a road ahead of us and here is what’s coming soon:

• Playlist editing
  • Downgrade from S2 to S1
  • Persistence of offline devices 
  • Additional configuration settings

Release notes from today’s app update, along with notes on last week’s firmware update too:

80.05.07 (Android)
80.05.05 (iOS)

Release date: 7/31/2024

In this update:

• Improves stability when adding new products
  • Addresses an issue where the app used excess phone battery

We’ve also released firmware version 80.1-55172 for Sonos products which contains the following changes:

• Improves responsiveness of volume changes
  • Improves time to add a new song to the queue in certain conditions
  • Addresses an issue with local library browsing timing out

re the firmware update - it worked just fine with the old App, so to me it would seem it’s the new app at fault not the old firmware ….. so it seems basically the whole system is being rewritten and wasn’t thought thru/planned sufficiently ...

Lenovo laptop with windows 10 

Lenovo laptop with windows 10 

Perhaps see if this link will maybe assist you - 

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/error-913-when-adding-a-music-library-share

That is meant to come in August sometime, according to the Dutch news report/Sonos interview last month. But other things due in August look to have shifted so it might be September. But it has been listed as coming in the New App road map in another thread from Sonos:

• Playlist editing

I’ve been a Sonos user for quite some time. Recently, I thought I would add a few more speakers--BIG MISTAKE because my system has some older components on S1. I thought I’d just downgrade the new additions to S1, as I had done with other things I bought previously. My purchases exactly coincided with this truly INCOMPREHENSIBLE move to the new app, that took the downgrade functionality away. When I called support, they were absolutely no help. The person with whom I spoke even joked that it could be “10, 20, 30, 40, or 50 years” before that functionality was restored. I couldn’t believe this! Not only does Sonos completely undercut its customer base, but someone on support actually jokes about it in what I regard as a completely insulting way. NONE OF THIS IS FUNNY. As others have said, restore the old app, or at least provide firm dates when all the functionality that you took away prematurely will be restored. Now I have speakers that I can only use on S2 and not play with the rest of my system (= THE WHOLE PURPOSE FOR GETTING THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE!!). When SONOS works, I love it. When it doesn’t--and especially when there are these ridiculous, inscrutable unforced errors, I’m embarrassed for having sunk so much money in this system that I can’t use any more. Sonos badly needs to restore trust with its customer base. And I’m just waiting on the announcement that they won’t support S1 anymore. The longer it goes without the ability to downgrade, the more likely I think this is. And Sonos wouldn’t care about those of us who invested so much money S1. HORRIBLE!

I ageee! The CEO’s letter of a multi month fix conveys their total disregard for customers. They should restore the old app until they’ve fixed and tested the bugs in the new version 

• Playlist editing

I’ve been a Sonos user for quite some time. Recently, I thought I would add a few more speakers--BIG MISTAKE because my system has some older components on S1. I thought I’d just downgrade the new additions to S1, as I had done with other things I bought previously. My purchases exactly coincided with this truly INCOMPREHENSIBLE move to the new app, that took the downgrade functionality away. When I called support, they were absolutely no help. The person with whom I spoke even joked that it could be “10, 20, 30, 40, or 50 years” before that functionality was restored. I couldn’t believe this! Not only does Sonos completely undercut its customer base, but someone on support actually jokes about it in what I regard as a completely insulting way. NONE OF THIS IS FUNNY. As others have said, restore the old app, or at least provide firm dates when all the functionality that you took away prematurely will be restored. Now I have speakers that I can only use on S2 and not play with the rest of my system (= THE WHOLE PURPOSE FOR GETTING THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE!!). When SONOS works, I love it. When it doesn’t--and especially when there are these ridiculous, inscrutable unforced errors, I’m embarrassed for having sunk so much money in this system that I can’t use any more. Sonos badly needs to restore trust with its customer base. And I’m just waiting on the announcement that they won’t support S1 anymore. The longer it goes without the ability to downgrade, the more likely I think this is. And Sonos wouldn’t care about those of us who invested so much money S1. HORRIBLE!

I ageee! The CEO’s letter of a multi month fix conveys their total disregard for customers. They should restore the old app until they’ve fixed and tested the bugs in the new version 

Sure, but as I mentioned, downgrading S2 to S1 is to come (and mentioned as “coming soon”). It was meant to be this month - I have absolutely no insight as to whether it has shifted. It could come next week for all we know, so let’s maybe keep an open mind on that - a volume adjustment fix arrived yesterday without it being specifically tied to a date in the roadmap, so it’s impossible to know. 

• Playlist editing

Do you have a link to the Dutch news report?

• Playlist editing

Do you have a link to the Dutch news report?

I’m not sure what thread it’s on but it’s from Tweakers, and I have the text for most of it (from w/c 15 July):

Sonos is reintroducing some basic features to its new app next week, including the ability to configure local music libraries. These functions were already in Sonos' old app, but were missing in the new mobile application that the audio manufacturer released in May.

Sonos will release the update for its new app on July 22, the manufacturer tells Tweakers. The biggest changes are in support for local music libraries. For example, the 'settings and configuration' of such libraries are now available via the mobile app. It is now also possible to search local music libraries in the app.

The July 22 update also includes improvements to line-in autoplay, compression settings, settings accessibility, firmware update notifications and volume settings. In addition, the Sonos Amp and Port can now be configured in mono and stereo and the 'Forgot System' option has been added to the Android app.

Some other functions that are currently missing from the new Sonos app will follow in August. For example, in early August, users will be able to downgrade their devices from S2 to S1 again and keep offline devices. At the end of August it will be possible to adjust playlists in the Sonos app and there will be an editing function for queues.

Sonos released its updated mobile app in May this year. According to the manufacturer, the app, which has been completely rebuilt, is intended to 'support further innovations in the coming years'. However, many basic features from the old Sonos app were also missing. Users were therefore critical of the update. Shortly after the release, Sonos promised that functions from the old app would be reintroduced.

Update: the article initially stated that Sonos would release the app on Thursday, but that is no longer correct. The update will now be released on July 22.

I have just updated iOS and iPadOS versions to latest and my whole system and still basic functionality is absolutely awful. I open the app and several rooms show nothing queued yet they have valid Apple Music queues that play if I press their physical buttons. SonoPad shows the queues correctly every time. Radio stations fail to update when programmes change, they stay stuck on previous ones unless I re-add them each time.

Volume up and down changes are incredibly slow still, despite the latest system update stating it was to fix this (strange as the old app and system software was fine). Sometimes nothing happens with volume changes. Again SonoPad app works better.

System updates NEVER happen automatically, I have to trigger these.

The “old” Windows app is still fine! The Web App is totally hopeless in comparison. 

So this is still an absolute royal mess, never mind all the things I can’t do that I used to be able to do.

How on earth could this be allowed to happen?

The app update this week was partly successful, at first.  What's never come back:  access to my network music folder.  But the folder on a drive connected to the notebook did load and play; that was Wednesday i believe.  Come Thursday, the app could not play anything in the queue, when i tried to update the music library, it began to index and then just disappeared. Since then i've been unable to reload the music folder and get a mix of ‘access is denied’ and 913 errors.  

The update is really unstable and i still can't load the network folder.  How long is this going to persist?

Happy Friday.

You have turned all my Sonos equipment into a load of expensive junk by removing support for a local music library from the app.

Why can't you just allow us to revert to the old app, which wasn't broke and didn't need fixing?

You have turned all my Sonos equipment into a load of expensive junk by removing support for a local music library from the app.

Why can't you just allow us to revert to the old app, which wasn't broke and didn't need fixing?

Nobody removed support for a local music library.  They removed two share protocols because they had security problems.  If you are not one of the many pile-on one-post and-done sockpuppets, you can follow the directions here (including the links to setting up an SMB v2/v3 share on Windows, Mac, or an NAS) to add your local library:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

If you are one of the many pile-on one-post and-done sockpuppets, I suggest you get a life.

Nobody removed support for a local music library.  They removed two share protocols because they had security problems.  If you are not one of the many pile-on one-post and-done sockpuppets, you can follow the directions here (including the links to setting up an SMB v2/v3 share on Windows, Mac, or an NAS) to add your local library:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

If you are one of the many pile-on one-post and-done sockpuppets, I suggest you get a life.

The problem is, it works and then for no apparent reason, it stops working.  This has happened to me twice. And i might add i've only been able to access the backup copy of my music folder which is on an external drive connected to my notebook (Windows 11 OS).  My music on the external drive connected to the router, which i was able to access before the update in May has been unavailable ever since that update.  I have diligently followed every set of suggestions, including yours.  That can be a little frustrating, i think you would agree, yes.  The tone is very helpful either. 

The problem is, it works and then for no apparent reason, it stops working.  This has happened to me twice. And i might add i've only been able to access the backup copy of my music folder which is on an external drive connected to my notebook (Windows 11 OS).  My music on the external drive connected to the router, which i was able to access before the update in May has been unavailable ever since that update.  I have diligently followed every set of suggestions, including yours.  That can be a little frustrating, i think you would agree, yes.  The tone is very helpful either. 

Unless you are actually @ExpensiveJunk under an alias, the tone was not directed at you.  I understand your frustration, but if your library appeared once, then there is something preventing it from appearing again.  I suggest you bite the bullet and contact Sonos support.  Not what you wish to hear, and I know the wait times are absurd, but they seem to be able to remedy issues with the mDNS discovery for many people’s system.  

PS - The link I gave has changed very recently.  It now includes directions for adding a library via the app itself.  More importantly, it describes how to add a share via SMB on a PC, a Mac, or an NAS.  If you have never done this before, you may need to start over with that link.  It is very different than it has been in the past. 

Where's TrueCinema already? Thought this was promised for delivery in July but here we are.…

Anyone from Sonos listening?

Probably already suggested but, what about an automatic “night sound” mode that turns on at night and disbles itself at day? 

Also can you please bring back the settings to disable touch controls for the sonos era? My 1 year son loves sonos speakers, maybe way to much. Anyways, its not cool to turn on the tv and find the volume settings all the way to 100 🙂 myself and my neighbors will thank you for the fix :) 

I switch systems all the time. My house, my office, my friends houses, they all have Sonos and I like to control them. In S2 once you joined a system you just had to close the app and open it again and it would automatically discover a known system and connect.  Now it takes something like half it dozen clicks just to join a known system on the local network. I have to do this multiple times a day. It is incredibly frustrating.

Probably already suggested but, what about an automatic “night sound” mode that turns on at night and disbles itself at day? 

Also can you please bring back the settings to disable touch controls for the sonos era? My 1 year son loves sonos speakers, maybe way to much. Anyways, its not cool to turn on the tv and find the volume settings all the way to 100 🙂 myself and my neighbors will thank you for the fix :) 

Touch controls should be there under Settings - Sroom] then scroll right down to the bottom where the Touch Control toggle is, under Hardware.

I switch systems all the time. My house, my office, my friends houses, they all have Sonos and I like to control them. In S2 once you joined a system you just had to close the app and open it again and it would automatically discover a known system and connect.  Now it takes something like half it dozen clicks just to join a known system on the local network. I have to do this multiple times a day. It is incredibly frustrating.

In my own case I extended the same Sonos Household over multiple locations and added the different WiFi networks to the one System only - On switching locations/WiFi network, the speakers are always automatically discovered without clicking anything - I just have to simply open the App on the local WiFi Network.That also means I can use Alexa at each location without having to switch the Sonos Skill in the Alexa App to use a different Sonos Household. It works well for the three locations where we use our Sonos products.

I have just updated iOS and iPadOS versions to latest and my whole system and still basic functionality is absolutely awful. I open the app and several rooms show nothing queued yet they have valid Apple Music queues that play if I press their physical buttons. SonoPad shows the queues correctly every time. Radio stations fail to update when programmes change, they stay stuck on previous ones unless I re-add them each time.

Volume up and down changes are incredibly slow still, despite the latest system update stating it was to fix this (strange as the old app and system software was fine). Sometimes nothing happens with volume changes. Again SonoPad app works better.

System updates NEVER happen automatically, I have to trigger these.

The “old” Windows app is still fine! The Web App is totally hopeless in comparison. 

So this is still an absolute royal mess, never mind all the things I can’t do that I used to be able to do.

How on earth could this be allowed to happen?

Because management haven’t got a clue and bean counters want profit over performance and those in the tech department have marked their own homework. Everyday this speaker gives me more trouble than it’s worth. Very sad. Patricks mealy mouthed email to everyone was basically sorry but we need you guys to help us test everything. I can’t get rid of Alexa and it doesn’t work. Cannot roll back to stable software, the speaker has a mind of its own. Makes a great sound when it plays but my misses is done. She turns on the radio. 

Thank you for acknowledging the issues with the Sonos app update this spring. I haven’t yet read through all the posts and comments, so someone may have already said this...For the love of all that is holy, please avoid ever doing any major updates during a period with such intense solar flares and SME’s coming at Earth. No wonder everything has been bonkers with the app since May.