The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1583 replies

Userlevel 1

It's late June and the functionality is as bad as when this disaster was released. My speakers are older Play:3s and if they were to lose support from Sonos, I would be looking elsewhere for my music solutions. I realize you personally are most likely not the decision maker on the release timing of this half-baked app. But you're the "first responder" here. Hope you've shared the huge disappointment with your management. Some other outfit will come along sooner or later and do a much better job than Sonos and Sonos will be toast.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I’m ready to sell this Sonos crap and buy me a Bose system. I have  8 Sonos speakers but can’t listen to my music so it’s pointless to keep y’all’s crap. Give us the old app back are I promise I want be the only one leaving y’all shitty service for something we can use. 

Try the SonoPhone app. That’s what I’m using until Sonos gets its act together. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m ready to sell this Sonos crap and buy me a Bose system. I have  8 Sonos speakers but can’t listen to my music so it’s pointless to keep y’all’s crap. Give us the old app back are I promise I want be the only one leaving y’all shitty service for something we can use. 

I emailed the CEO at the beginning of the month, since his address is on the website and he asks for feedback, and received a generic “we hear you and we are working hard on these issues” reply from a customer service person. I also followed up asking if they would buy back my equipment. The fundamental purpose of a speaker is to play the user’s music, and SONOS can no longer do that for many users, so SONOS has broken its commitment that was understood at the time of purchase. SONOS has rendered some user’s systems useless through this new app, so it only seems fair that people in this situation be compensated. 

Now, I know they won’t do that, but for several reasons, I think it’s important to send a message. And you’re right - BOSE is probably enjoying watching SONOS twist in the wind. I have BOSE headphones, and do you know what they do? They play my music without issue. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I can’t wait <yawn>
Requested features? Interesting spin on a disaster

F

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I can’t wait <yawn>
Requested features? Interesting spin on a disaster

Yes, of course it's spin.  I'm not aware of a single ‘requested feature’ that didn't already exist in the previous 16.x version.

Userlevel 2

Maybe let me play music on my system? Hopefully this qualifies as one of our "top requested features" 

Let me just pile on here by saying this new app design is garbage.  I hate that I've invested so much money in the Sonos ecosystem for something like this to happen.  For the money we all spend on your products, we deserve better.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

“Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short.”

Please - seriously, please post a few of these positives, “improvements”.  How is one even supposed to experience them when the system behaves erratically?

Masters of horse#$% is what this has been - lies and bogus placations.  And now, my worst fear has manifested: my wife is now experiencing your bugs and is bitching about it as her Play:5 randomly goes silent even though it appears to be playing. Zombie Zones!!! Zombie Zones you imbeciles - so you’ve wrecked the firmware too.

THE BIGGEST BUG IS THAT - my PISSED OFF WIFE!  You jerks trashing our system - absolute jerks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

“Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short.”

Please - seriously, please post a few of these positives, “improvements”.  How is one even supposed to experience them when the system behaves erratically?

Masters of horse#$% is what this has been - lies and bogus placations.  And now, my worst fear has manifested: my wife is now experiencing your bugs and is bitching about it as her Play:5 randomly goes silent even though it appears to be playing. Zombie Zones!!! Zombie Zones you imbeciles - so you’ve wrecked the firmware too.

THE BIGGEST BUG IS THAT - my PISSED OFF WIFE!  You jerks trashing our system - absolute jerks.

Buy the wife a WiiM mini plug it into the line in on the 5 set the 5 volume to 50/60%
install WiiM app  and setup your music subscriptions in the app use WiiM app to control your music 👍

may make wife happy just a thought 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Let me just pile on here by saying this new app design is garbage.  I hate that I've invested so much money in the Sonos ecosystem for something like this to happen.  For the money we all spend on your products, we deserve better.

But now you can buy headphones. 

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Jun 24, 2024. See release notes.

• Added numerical values to volume and group-volume sliders

• Updated the volume icon to reflect the volume level on iOS

• Introduced mute button on Android

• Added stereo or mono configuration for Amp/Port output on iOS

• Improved TalkBack screen reader support for volume sliders on Android

• Added support for SonosNet channel selection on iOS

• Expanded support for service reauthorization on Android

Coming soon

• Local music library search and playback: July

• Improved playback settings including Play Now: July

• Create and edit local music library: July

• Improved Autoplay settings: July

• Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July

• Snooze alarms: TBD

Known issues and workarounds

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

If I can’t effectively create playlists from my locally stored music files then your speakers are of no value to me and I want my money back.  You have two days until your promised July update.  I hope to find the app fully functional on Monday.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Posted elsewhere but I’m posting here too:

What DNS servers are people using on their routers..?

My system is working just fine, fast loading, generally responsive. I’m using Cloudflare DNS (primary 1.1.1.1 and secondary 1.0.0.1). 

Just wondering if there is a pattern, given some (all?) Sonos command and playback processing is going through the cloud now…

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

My system is working just fine, fast loading, generally responsive. I’m using Cloudflare DNS (primary 1.1.1.1 and secondary 1.0.0.1). 

Just wondering if there is a pattern, given some (all?) Sonos command and playback processing is going through the cloud now…

Does that mean you have to be connected to the internet to listen to your music library?

Now I have to give credit when credit is due . I recently moved and set up my Sonos system at my new place was one of the easiest experiences. My past moves I had to reset nearly every device serval times to get it up and running. I do like the new app overall and can see what they were trying to accomplish. Fingers crossed it stays smooth 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Now I have to give credit when credit is due . I recently moved and set up my Sonos system at my new place was one of the easiest experiences. My past moves I had to reset nearly every device serval times to get it up and running. I do like the new app overall and can see what they were trying to accomplish. Fingers crossed it stays smooth 

I doubt it will. My system is long established and the new app is as flaky as a flaky thing during flaky week. This morning I have mostly been trying to add my conservatory speakers to an already playing group. The app showed nothing playing (it was) and it took several attempts to get the group to work. The volume of the speaker in the kitchen mysteriously showed as minus one and when I changed it, it amusingly snapped back to the minus one postion. It did this several times. It's working fine at the moment but it's really pretty hopeless.

I doubt it will. My system is long established and the new app is as flaky as a flaky thing during flaky week. This morning I have mostly been trying to add my conservatory speakers to an already playing group. The app showed nothing playing (it was) and it took several attempts to get the group to work. The volume of the speaker in the kitchen mysteriously showed as minus one and when I changed it, it amusingly snapped back to the minus one postion. It did this several times. It's working fine at the moment but it's really pretty hopeless.

Yea I understand trying to be optimistic! Bose isn’t any better. I can get even get my bose soundbar to show up in the app but it works in Apple HomeKit 

Yea I understand trying to be optimistic! Bose isn’t any better. I can get even get my bose soundbar to show up in the app but it works in Apple HomeKit 

Did you manage to link up to a NAS music library as Your Sources and keep it more than 10 hours? 

Did you manage to link up to a NAS music library as Your Sources and keep it more than 10 hours? 

Yes, I have in the new Sonos App and the NAS library (dynamically assigned SMBv2-3) is working fine.👍

Userlevel 3
Badge

The joys of technology eh? Good to be optimistic though. Things can only get better!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Does that mean you have to be connected to the internet to listen to your music library?

Strange, no one seems to respond to this question?

Probably because there are already other threads/posts that have covered the topic, even some a few hours ago.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Probably because there are already other threads/posts that have covered the topic, even some a few hours ago.

Sorry, I must have missed them. I’ll look. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Sorry, I must have missed them. I’ll look. 

I looked back two days on this thread and all I can find is the reference:

which prompted my question. I’ll see if there is anything on the Sonos website that identifies requirements.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Sorry, I keep looking at this question. I’m using the default Comcast DNS Servers but I have lost my Internet connection several times this past year. I have my own music on my locally stored WD My Cloud NAS drive and  have always been able to play my music with no internet connection. I don’t subscribe to any streaming services, but I’m sure that if you need to play anything from the cloud (or anything out over the Internet) then I’m sure that wouldn’t work. But I know for a fact that last year, when I was down for over a week, replacing my modem, I was able to play my music autonomously, with no internet connect. I hope that is currently unchanged with the new app and the new way Sonos does things. John