The New Sonos App and Future Feature Updates

Show first post

1583 replies

THE SOLUTION:

Disable 5ghz in your router settings. This resolves all app reliability, speed and connection issues.

Overkill

Regards the whole 5GHz - agree with the above.

There is an issue with some chips in WIFI routers/access points etc, including some BT routers and many other branded products. Some of the early chips did not pass traffic between the two frequencies (2.4 & 5 Ghz). This is NOT an issue with Sonos itself, and impacted many end user devices across many manufacturers of differring devices. The solution to this problem is either:

1. put all the devices that need to communicate with each others on the same frequency, i.e. all on 2.4 or all on 5 on one of the two frequencies. In reality this means if you have older devices put them on the 2.4. Older devices don’t support 5Ghz as it didn’t exist at the time.

Most good modern devices support both frequencies, some cheap modern devices still only support 2.4Ghz.

In my case wth Sonos S1 & S2 this would mean all Sonos devices need to be on the 2.4Ghz network, in addition your phone/tablet etc will also need to be connected to the 2.4Ghz network so it can “see” the Sonos devices.

For me solution B was better, which I achieved by adding my own WiFi Access Point to the network and swithcing of WiFI on my ISP router.

2. Replace your wifi router/access point with a device that does work correctly across 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz.

Overkill - imo turning off 5Ghz is the nuclear solution. MIGHT help the sonos but is guaranteed to slow major devices (computer, phones).

Before replacing the router, try turning off IPV6. You should be able to do it in the settings or advanced settings of your router’s app. Made an immediate diff for me. Any major-brand router within ~5yrs old should be able to properly assign to 2.4Ghz and 5.4Ghz bands

Instead of trying to catch up with YT Music and other apps (you’re so far from it) support ChromeCast in your products and that’s it. I made a mistake and bought IKEA Simfonisk not realizing that I’ll have to use your app for listening YouTube Music. UX is simply terrible. Navigation in the app is cryptic and lacks of basic functions, like going from an album/track to its artist. And many many other features simply to navigate around.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

THE SOLUTION:

Disable 5ghz in your router settings. This resolves all app reliability, speed and connection issues.

Overkill

There is an issue with some chips in WIFI routers/access points etc, including some BT routers and many other branded products. Some of the early chips did not pass traffic between the two frequencies (2.4 & 5 Ghz). This is NOT an issue with Sonos itself, and impacted many end user devices across many manufacturers of differring devices. The solution to this problem is either:

1. put all the devices that need to communicate with each others on the same frequency, i.e. all on 2.4 or all on 5 on one of the two frequencies. In reality this means if you have older devices put them on the 2.4. Older devices don’t support 5Ghz as it didn’t exist at the time.

Most good modern devices support both frequencies, some cheap modern devices still only support 2.4Ghz.

In my case wth Sonos S1 & S2 this would mean all Sonos devices need to be on the 2.4Ghz network, in addition your phone/tablet etc will also need to be connected to the 2.4Ghz network so it can “see” the Sonos devices.

For me solution B was better, which I achieved by adding my own WiFi Access Point to the network and swithcing of WiFI on my ISP router.

2. Replace your wifi router/access point with a device that does work correctly across 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz.

Overkill - imo turning off 5Ghz is the nuclear solution. MIGHT help the sonos but is guaranteed to slow major devices (computer, phones).

Before replacing the router, try turning off IPV6. You should be able to do it in the settings or advanced settings of your router’s app. Made an immediate diff for me. Any major-brand router within ~5yrs old should be able to properly assign to 2.4Ghz and 5.4Ghz bands

I agree that everything should be on the 2.4gHz band, but everyone is talking about Wi-Fi issues. I don’t think I am. How would I know?

Userlevel 1

Utter tripe from Sonos.

Stop with the grand vision until you’ve fixed the basics.

Apologize for your f*** ups and listen to the overwhelming feedback from the customers you should value - without us you’d be nothing.

If your speakers can’t play our music then you deserve to be nothing.

Simple.

The volume control slider doesn’t work, and there are no volume level numbers anymore.  Was this intentional?  If not, when will this be fixed?

The volume control slider doesn’t work, and there are no volume level numbers anymore.  Was this intentional?  If not, when will this be fixed?

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/the-new-sonos-app-and-future-feature-updates

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Playback controls including mute and volume numbers: June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Improved playback settings including Play Now: July
  • Create and edit local music library: July
  • Improved Autoplay settings: July
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Thank you

I have four play1 speakers for a few years. Loved them until recently when I downloaded the S2 app. Now the performance is horrible. Connection issues and delays. Is there any fix?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I have four play1 speakers for a few years. Loved them until recently when I downloaded the S2 app. Now the performance is horrible. Connection issues and delays. Is there any fix?

That is strange. When you say delays, I guess you might be talking about when you change songs or adjust the volume using the app? That is when you notice response issues or delays? If yes, the only thing I can think is to check that the device your app is running, is on the 2.4 gHz network, which is the same network as your Play1’s. I have a stereo pair of Play1’s in the Bedroom and I don’t recall having any problems when I went from S1 to S2.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi,

I have posted this question on various Sonos community threads (including the AMA) but still haven’t had an answer from anyone at Sonos which is extremely frustrating. Anyway - I’m giving it another go here on this thread. 

On the old Sonos app it was possible to play the “top tracks” of an artist on Deezer. The old app used to add the tracks to the queue. It is now impossible to play the ”top tracks” of an artist, other than a single track at a time! I thought this would be fixed when the queue was reintroduced during a recent update, but that has made no difference whatsoever.

Is this feature planned to be reintroduced (and if so when), or has it been permanently removed?

Thank you.

Userlevel 1

When is the update to permit me to use my new router?  

It was in the June 4th update.  Go to Settings > Manage > Network. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

THE SOLUTION:

Overkill

I agree that everything should be on the 2.4gHz band, but everyone is talking about Wi-Fi issues. I don’t think I am. How would I know?

Userlevel 3
Badge

It was in the June 4th update.  Go to Settings > Manage > Network. 

Be prepared for a fair amount of faff. You have to search for and add individual components for some reason.if you have a sub mini you need the pin number on the bade of the sub. Its in tiny grey writing on black so get your smart phone torch going!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I had retained Sonos S2 on my iphone and had the auto-update option turned off in my settings. This allowed me to retain access to my Sonos playlists. 

For the past week, my network security (Netgear Armor) kept notifying me that Sonos was trying to access my phone and had been blocked.

Woke up this morning and went to my iphone to play music. S2 is gone. Instead I opened the Sonos icon and got bombarded with ads for Sonos headphones and Roam speakers; then once I managed to get around that crap, found myself staring at the S3 interface. MY PLAYLISTS ARE GONE. So now neither my ipad nor my i-hone will allow me to access my music. I am completely, irrevocably screwed.

I then went to search and queue up music from my streaming services. Here’s the problem… I can’t even create a queue. I have the option to play a song or an entire album; selecting either replaces anything and everything that's in an existing queue.

Holy cow. Now my system really and truly has been reduced to a $3,000 set of doorstops. I have not been this angry in a long, long time.

Userlevel 2

Few things still not working properly with the new update:

Sleep timers - these do not seem to be available for songs from my local music library. Whilst there is a ‘…’ in the bottom right when playing from a streaming service or from the radio, this is greyed out when playing from the local library. So this isn’t fixed/ implemented properly

Add to queue - I can see the album in my local library. I can play it. I can replace the queue. But I cannot add it to the end of an existing queue. Doesn’t happen on all albums. Have there been limitations placed on this that you haven’t told us about? So this isn’t fixed/ implemented properly

Album artwork - I can see the thumbnail when I scroll through my local library. But when it’s playing nothing comes up on the ‘Now playing’ page. So this isn’t fixed/ implemented properly

Any useful tips appreciated

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

So here’s what I have at present:

1. All of my Sonos playlists have disappeared.
  2. Two of my three stereo pairs of speakers are shown as ‘network unavailable.’
  3. I can play only one album or one song at a time. I cannot create a queue and add a song or album to it.
  4. I cannot separately control each of my three stereo pairs (bedroom, kitchen, living room). If the bedroom pair is not selected, the entire system is nonfunctional.

What in the hell? And Sonos support might as well be unavailable… the entire support staff in online chat and phones is overwhelmed.

Ridiculous does not begin to describe the current status.

We set out to create a more personalized and effortless listening experience with the updated Sonos app. It was rebuilt from the ground up to ensure it could support future innovation in the years to come. For its initial rollout, we focused on how we could answer some of the most common requests from our customers, including increased reliability, performance, and faster access to music.

Many of you have shared valuable feedback on both the improvements that have made your experience better, as well as the areas where we fell short. We are listening to all of your comments and working to address them as quickly as possible. Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce the below features, while fixing bugs and performance issues. Thank you for your engagement and we look forward to building upon this first step to create a listening experience that meets everyone’s needs.

Available now

To access these changes, check for updates in the iOS / Android app store to download the latest version of the Sonos app. Make sure your Sonos products are also up to date.

Last updated: Jun 4, 2024. See release notes.

• Improved playback settings including “Play next,” “add to end of queue,” and on iOS, the mute button
  • Improved product setup, Bluetooth discovery and WiFi settings
  • Added sleep timer settings
  • Improved Trueplay setup on iOS
  • Introduced distance settings for home theater surrounds
  • Improved navigation for users who are blind or visually-impaired 
  • Added VoiceOver support for toast messages on iOS

Coming soon

• Continued improvements to navigation for visually-impaired customers: mid-June
  • Playback controls including mute and volume numbers: June
  • Local music library search and playback: mid-June
  • Improved playback settings including Play Now: July
  • Create and edit local music library: July
  • Improved Autoplay settings: July
  • Improved Sub audio settings with Amp: July
  • Snooze alarms: TBD

Our latest update resolves some of the most critical known issues, but know we have more to do. We hear your feedback and are working hard to deliver the experience you expect and deserve.

Where are my playlists?

Where are my playlists?

Userlevel 1

Seems like they should roll back to the prior app that actually worked and get this new one properly tested before they attempt to release it again. Or does that just make too much sense?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I had retained Sonos S2 on my iphone and had the auto-update option turned off in my settings. This allowed me to retain access to my Sonos playlists. 

For the past week, my network security (Netgear Armor) kept notifying me that Sonos was trying to access my phone and had been blocked.

Woke up this morning and went to my iphone to play music. S2 is gone. Instead I opened the Sonos icon and got bombarded with ads for Sonos headphones and Roam speakers; then once I managed to get around that crap, found myself staring at the S3 interface. MY PLAYLISTS ARE GONE. So now neither my ipad nor my i-hone will allow me to access my music. I am completely, irrevocably screwed.

I then went to search and queue up music from my streaming services. Here’s the problem… I can’t even create a queue. I have the option to play a song or an entire album; selecting either replaces anything and everything that's in an existing queue.

Holy cow. Now my system really and truly has been reduced to a $3,000 set of doorstops. I have not been this angry in a long, long time.

Try SonoPhone. Not quite as good as the old s2 app and burns battery on your phone, but much better than the new Sonos app.  Some day, hopefully, Sonos will make the new app work as good as the one they had. 

Userlevel 5

According to the Sonos CEO, this is an improvement. So I guess you are supposed to be happy about it.

I, for my part, has stopped using Sonos and moved on with a combination of Bluesound, WiiM, and Roon. It works well.

There is no way I will allow Sonos to scr** me up like this several times, and they have done so before, so with this time, they went out. If anybody is wondering what I do here in the forum then - I still own a couple of S1 devices, plus I want to see how things end, out of curiosity.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Sonos just took the world’s record for running, jumping and standing gall. They strip my carefully ‘curated’ playlists off my device at the same time they pump me to buy their idiotic freaking $450 headphones. 

I feel sorry for their support people, who are inundated with complaints from thousands of folks like us. They didn’t create the problem; they don’t have the tools to fix it; and they’re on the front line.

Meanwhile the C suite guys pay themselves fat salaries for stinking up the joint this way. 

Sonos will never see another dime from me or anyone I know. My money will go to a quality music server and serious wireless speakers that don’t rely on a closed, proprietary system that some exec can put a torch to on a whim.

Badge

Thank you for the update.

What is the status of reintroducing Trueplay on Android?
You have disabled the feature in the old app; it is greyed out, and when tapped, it says an update needs to be installed. But there is no Trueplay after updating. 
This is highly confusing and makes the impression Sonos has no respect for its customers.

I previously reached out to your customer support, they first claimed there would be no Trueplay on Android, and later that it would be coming, but they did not know when.
This makes the impression your customer support is clueless.

The update you posted above does not mention Trueplay on Android specifically. I have installed the update, and the feature is still not there.

So is it coming, and when?

And if not, what does Sonos plan to do regarding the now missing feature that its products (e.g., Era300) are being sold ‘with’?

Looking forward to a competent response.
Thank you.

The radio channel, which link I have added to the TuneIn application, now stopped working in this world's worst application(sonos)😡