Suggestion for improvement for new Sonos App 2024

• 23 May 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi, with all of the fall-out from the new Sonos App Launched on 7th May, I’ve had an idea which would certainly address many people’s concerns regarding the new user interface and problems which people are experiencing regarding accessibility and usability. As Background I’m totally blind and a voiceover screen reader user on IOS, so my main concerns relate to accessibility of the new user interface. 

Would it be a possibility to have all of the functionality of the new app but with two different user interfaces (contemporary which would be the new redesigned app) and Classic (which would be the old app layout with tabs across the bottom and the same operation as before. In the settings menu, in app preferences the user could select the appropriate interface for them, Contemporary or Classic, and be presented with the app looking and operating in the way they want it. All of the functionality which underpins the new app and the firmwear on each device could be retained and the user could have the user experience they prefer. I know this might cause problems for helpdesk calls, and would take extra time for app developers, but it does seem like a solution to me which would help to reduce long standing customers concerns and frustrations and ultimately would help to rebuild trust with sonos and it’s user base across the world. 

What do sonos staff and sonos users think of this suggestion, and would there be a practical way of implementing this. I’d be interested to hear people’s thoughts. 

4 replies

I think Sonos isn’t going to hire another development team just to maintain two versions of the app.  The idea is probably not going to fly.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I don’t think it would take a whole separate development team, but then maybe you know more than me! I was just thinking in terms of trying to please the maximum number of people many of whom think the new user interface is awful! And that’s even before we discuss the broken accessibility and missing features.

And that’s even before we discuss the broken accessibility and missing features. I think Sonos need to get the problems with the new app sorted and very quickly otherwise many users including myself will think about switching to competitors products.

I don’t think it would take a whole separate development team, but then maybe you know more than me! I was just thinking in terms of trying to please the maximum number of people many of whom think the new user interface is awful! And that’s even before we discuss the broken accessibility and missing features.

And that’s even before we discuss the broken accessibility and missing features. I think Sonos need to get the problems with the new app sorted and very quickly otherwise many users including myself will think about switching to competitors products.

Funny, because I can point you to threads with thousands of posts that said the same thing about the old interface.  It happens every time Sonos overhauls the app; people call the old one beloved, simple, intuitive, elegant, etc., and the new one is complicated, ugly, unintuitive and awful.  Give it time.  Trust me, this one will magically evolve into a what the old one is, just as soon as muscle memory kicks in.  

Would it be a possibility to have all of the functionality of the new app but with two different user interfaces (contemporary which would be the new redesigned app) and Classic (which would be the old app layout with tabs across the bottom and the same operation as before. In the settings menu, in app preferences the user could select the appropriate interface for them,  

It would be possible for them to do this. But they would need to be willing and it seems very unlikely given they were just fine releasing the app that was almost completely inaccessible. We know they ignored beta feedback about how it didn’t work with screen readers. Just don’t see it happening.