Question

SONOS V6.4 update kills all iPod 4th generation controllers

• 8 September 2016
  • 57 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I've been a SONOS user for any years and have 10 zones, including a subwoofer and L/R pairs. Like others, I was a bit underwhelmed by the new functionality included in update 6.4. It certainly wasn't worth the price I've been forced to pay.

I have three 4th generation iPods that I bought as dedicated SONOS controllers. They are running ios 6.1.6, which is the latest version available. I'm pretty peeved that these controllers no longer work as SONOS controllers once I updated my system to 6.4.

SONOS should design their updates so that they don't shaft their existing users. I can understand that code will inevitably grow beyond the capability of older devices. But, I would be perfectly happy to have controller features frozen for older devices. I'd be content if I wasn't able to access all of the management functions from an older controller. But to have several perfectly good devices suddenly become totally unusable is an outrage.

There are two versions of the SONOS App available in the App Store. The current one requires ios 7, but even the older one doesn't work anymore.

I trust that SONOS will fix this and restore the lost functionality.

I notice that there are few 3rd party paid controller Apps available. SonoPhone is the only one I found that will work with ios 6.1. Are there any others? Do any users out there have any experience with this App? Will it even work with with SONOS 6.4?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

Sonos staff have stated that older software will be rendered as unusable within a couple releases due to changes in firmware.
What? Whoo!
Where did you see this?
Let's hope they allow to disable this darned update notification until then.
Or else all our beloved CR100s and CR200s will become unusable, too.
Remember: the notification becomes the topmost item!
It's almost unavoidable that somebody (my mum? a party guest?) will at some point think it's a good idea to agree and update the device.

That is if you update firmware. If you keep everything the same, controllers and players, then you are fine. But that is not what people want. They want older controller versions to work with the latest firmware, and this is impossible to sustain for more than a couple releases.

They already allow you to shut off announcements. It's in the Settings menu.
...They already allow you to shut off announcements. It's in the Settings menu.
Sorry, yes I'm obviously getting somewhat OT..
But are you really sure you can turn the announcements off on a CR200?
I so much wish I could turn them off, but I can't find this setting you mentioned!
Thanks in advance
Thomas
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I think if it already tells you there is an update then there is no way to stop it or remove the prominent prompt. If you change the option to not check then you won't see prompts after the 'upgrade'.
I think if it already tells you there is an update then there is no way to stop it or remove the prominent prompt. If you change the option to not check then you won't see prompts after the 'upgrade'.
Yes, but where exactly do I tell the CR200 not to check for updates?
It's just like I said: I can't find such a setting on my CR200 (on v6.4).
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
If you have Parental Controls on your router (not everyone does), block access for everything to u*.sonos.com

And shut off auto app updates in your IOS device settings

This will work until you need to add a new player or download a new controller app onto a new computer or phone.
..meaning that there is no way to switch updates off on the CR200?
OK, will look for such a setting on my router.
But will the update notifications also be suppressed or are they delivered over some other ... 'channel'?

Don't have a working iOS device anymore.. (Phew, back on topic!)
(And to be honest: I never really liked the iOS controller anyway - I prefer the simplicity of the CR200...)

But I don't want to have my problem discussed in this thread OT, will open a new one.