Skip to main content

Will there be a new Windows app for S2? Will the current Windows app still work if I upgrade to S2?

We don’t know yet. S2 hasn’t been released. It would be hard to believe that there wouldn’t be a Windows app, though, similar to the current version. 

Probably not, probably yes.

Sonos don’t want to invest another dime in Desktop support, so its unlikely a new app would be produced for S2. O the other hand, its easy enough to support basic S2 features from an S1 app, so that is likely what they will do. Fancy S2 features will likely not be supported.

We’ll find out for sure tomorrow i guess.

I’m using a Playbar on my PC so not having a Windows app anymore would definitely make me think twice before upgrading to S2.

Sonos has confirmed that there will be desktop apps for S2:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/will-there-be-s2-desktop-controller-apps-or-just-mobile-controller-apps-6840549

Here it is for Windows 10:

https://update-software.sonos.com/software/pc/dcr/SonosDesktopController120.exe

Unless I am handling this wrong, I have found that only one Sonos app (either an S1 or and S2) can operate on each Windows machine. I have been unable to run both simultaneously (as I can, for instance on my iPad)

Unless I am handling this wrong, I have found that only one Sonos app (either an S1 or and S2) can operate on each Windows machine. I have been unable to run both simultaneously (as I can, for instance on my iPad)

I can’t tell you, all my products are S2 compatible so I just got ride of S1.

After migrating to S2 from my Android phone, the S1 PC app sort of locked itself providing a link to download the S2 app instead. Upgrade went smoothly new app looks much the same which is fine by me. 

On the Mac it’s quite possible to run the S1 and S2 desktop controllers simultaneously. This is a requirement for a ‘split’ system, so I’m surprised if there’s an issue doing so on Windows.

Sonos don’t want to invest another dime in Desktop support, so its unlikely a new app would be produced for S2. O the other hand, its easy enough to support basic S2 features from an S1 app, so that is likely what they will do. Fancy S2 features will likely not be supported.

Well I was obviously wrong on this one. However, I am trying to detect any functional difference between the S1 and S2 versions of the PC app.

Apart from the icon, and the check to limit each one to the matching version of the players I haven’t detected any difference yet. Anyone else?

Well I was obviously wrong on this one. However, I am trying to detect any functional difference between the S1 and S2 versions of the PC app.

Apart from the icon, and the check to limit each one to the matching version of the players I haven’t detected any difference yet. Anyone else?

The macOS S1 and S2 controllers look and behave identically, as far as I can tell. Different icons and app names, but that’s it.

So far, since update, I can only control my S2 units on the PC. Being able to use S1 would be very useful and it appears there is currently no way to do this in parallel via a Windows environment.

So far, since update, I can only control my S2 units on the PC. Being able to use S1 would be very useful and it appears there is currently no way to do this in parallel via a Windows environment.

I have no problem with this, I have both S1 and S2 apps on my PC and each controls their respective devices.

My iPhone on the other hand had real trouble getting the S2 app to find my S2 system that it set up the previous day, but its ok now.

Just gave a try to the S2 PC app. It is still not usable with a touch screen, and still very slow. A bit disappointed...

interesting. I don’t seem to be able to reinstall (i have the install exe from the end of last year when i got the computer) or download S1. Anyone have a link?

S2 works fine with the touch screen on my Surface Pro 6.

I’ll search harder. I did stop when it wasn’t obvious because normally Sonos make stuff like this obvious, for good reasons.

Got it. Sort of.

Both exist and are installed. 

BUT, starting S2 then trying S1 just opens S2 app window. Same happens in reverse. They don’t seem to want to co-exist.

And like magic S1 now needs update and then they now co-exist on the same screen. Happy days. No update was found earlier. just a teething issue here.

Does anyone else have an issue with not seeing the room group option in the s2 windows app? I have created 2 room groups via the s2 ios app, and group creation/selection works fine there, but in the windows app I do not see any room group options.  I have even uninstalled both the s1 and s2 windows apps and only installed the s2 fresh, and still the same issue.

Does anyone else have an issue with not seeing the room group option in the s2 windows app? I have created 2 room groups via the s2 ios app, and group creation/selection works fine there, but in the windows app I do not see any room group options.  I have even uninstalled both the s1 and s2 windows apps and only installed the s2 fresh, and still the same issue.

According to this https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3391?language=en_US there should be a “Rooms” pane on the left, but I don't see that anywhere.  Does anyone else see it?

I see a Rooms pane in the Desktop S2 controller (although it is called System for some reason), but I don’t see any saved groups because the Desktop controller doesn’t have that feature (per the description on that linked page).

I see a Rooms pane in the Desktop S2 controller (although it is called System for some reason), but I don’t see any saved groups because the Desktop controller doesn’t have that feature (per the description on that linked page).

IMO Its pretty lame that they release this touted feature but it's not available on all the controller apps.  As mentioned above, I don't really see any real changes to the windows app and that's kinda disappointing.  I use a combination of the ios app and the windows app for sonos, but my main control center in my basement is a large touchscreen tv with a windows pc connected.  I do run an android emulator sometimes on that pc, but the micro pc that im using is a little too slow to accommodate smooth use of the emulated android sonos app.  I hope they put some development in the windows app to add all features and make it more touch-friendly, as many new windows 10 devices are touch capable.

why does my attempted post say it has to be reviewed by moderators?  i have not see this before. 

why does my attempted post say it has to be reviewed by moderators?  i have not see this before. 

IMO Its pretty lame that they release this touted feature but it's not available on all the controller apps.  As mentioned above, I don't really see any real changes to the windows app and that's kinda disappointing.  I use a combination of the ios app and the windows app for sonos, but my main control center in my basement is a large touchscreen tv with a windows pc connected.  I do run an android emulator sometimes on that pc, but the micro pc that im using is a little too slow to accommodate smooth use of the emulated android sonos app.  I hope they put some development in the windows app to add all features and make it more touch-friendly, as many new windows 10 devices are touch-capable.

But it’s a quick-port, still a 32-bit App.. what a lazy job!