Skip to main content

I’m wondering if there will be desktop controller versions (macOS, Windows) of the S2 app, or just mobile controllers. Has any information been released about this?

No

No

Thanks. I suspected that might be the case but I don’t recollect seeing it stated anywhere.

My reply was intended to say “No information has been released about this”.

So there is a possibility of a desktop controller, but no one knows (other than Sonos).

Agreed, we will have to wait for further information from Sonos on this. But I’d be stunned if they changed from the current setup, with a desktop version that still functions, although without all setup functions in it. 

Agreed, we will have to wait for further information from Sonos on this. But I’d be stunned if they changed from the current setup, with a desktop version that still functions, although without all setup functions in it. 

I wouldn’t be stunned. The desktop apps have clearly not received investment in recent years, and this would be a ‘discontinuity’ opportunity to retire them. I’d be disappointed, though.

My guess is that the desktop apps will work on both S1 and S2 systems, with limited functionality. This saves Sonos from writing a whole new app, but keeps basic features available on desktops.

First they came for my CR100 controller, and I did not speak out.

Then they came for my zone players, and I did not speak out.

Then they came for my desktop controller…

Am I a chump for dropping 2000 on new Ports? 

A chump for sticking with Sonos for 13 years?

There had better be a new desktop app.

Hmmm. My money is on no S2 desktop app. But not much money.

First they came for my CR100 controller, and I did not speak out.

Then they came for my zone players, and I did not speak out.

Then they came for my desktop controller…

Am I a chump for dropping 2000 on new Ports? 

A chump for sticking with Sonos for 13 years?

There had better be a new desktop app.

I find you  paraphrasing a famous piece of prose about the atrocities of WWII and the accompanying Holocaust in order to describe your loss of a luxury audio device to be sickeningly offensive.  Have a little class.

I’ve seen this poem paraphrased for comic effect several times in popular media, I am hardly the first, nor will I be the last to do so. I find your comment oddly hyperbolic. I also find your failure to stay on topic and resort to ad hominem attacks concerning. Is this common behavior in this forum? Perhaps I’ve inadvertently stumbled into a myopic insular community of fanboys. What is your opinion regarding the upcoming S2 release including a desktop application? My wife and I only use our laptops as controllers, Im not a big fan of ipads and the phone interface is quite poor for browsing and searching.

No, still sickeningly offensive.  

EasterNow,

I share your pain. I would prefer to use a desktop controller, but they have been mostly ignored in recent years. Evidently we are a dying breed. While there has not been any official announcement, I expect that desktops will be supported at current levels.

I’m wondering if there will be desktop controller versions (macOS, Windows) of the S2 app, or just mobile controllers. Has any information been released about this?

Ok, first your answer is yes. There will be Mac and Windows controllers for S2. They will function the same they do now, meaning you’ll still need a mobile device for setup and advanced settings.

As to the back and forth and over-exaggeration, let’s try to stay friendly and keep it civil folks. 

Ok, first your answer is yes. There will be Mac and Windows controllers for S2. They will function the same they do now, meaning you’ll still need a mobile device for setup and advanced settings.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, @Ryan S.

See my post in another S2 thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/sonos-s2-6842079?postid=16436398#post16436398

My macOS controller problem has been solved:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/sonos-s2-6842079?postid=16436443#post16436443