Skip to main content

Sonos confirms that the 5.1 issue that came in 14.12 is still present in the 14.18 update.

as expected...

Interesting that there are many people in the main thread that claim that they’re quite pleased with the new release. 

I trust their ears more than I trust a low level CS rep, who probably doesn’t own a Sonos. 

But it’s entirely possible that this is merely a step in the right direction, and not a full “it’s finished” release, which may be why they don’t call it out as a ‘it’s finished” in the release notes. 

Interesting that there are many people in the main thread that claim that they’re quite pleased with the new release. 

I trust their ears more than I trust a low level CS rep, who probably doesn’t own a Sonos. 

But it’s entirely possible that this is merely a step in the right direction, and not a full “it’s finished” release, which may be why they don’t call it out as a ‘it’s finished” in the release notes. 

Hope I'll find the same when I'm back home in November 😊

What is this 5.1 issue?

I am in the "14.12 and everything since is fine” camp. 14.18 seems to have addressed the volume (non)issue to some degree, i.e., more loud at a given volume setting (subjectively to my ears). 

14.18 has improved my system no end, bass on Arc superb and greater definition on play 1' as surrounds

The fact that it didn’t prompt me to re-tune TruePlay reiterates what OP said. I’ve gotten used to the ‘raw’ power of the system having TruePlay off but it would be nice to get a solution so I can get the best config based on my room. Here’s hoping for 14.20.

Maybe Peter Pee has some more answers on what this update addresses.

What is the 5.1 issue???

What is this 5.1 issue?

I’m trying my hardest to be patient and understanding, but the answer to your question is literally in the image of this post. You clearly didn’t even bother to look at/read the entire post before commenting. Stop wasting other peoples time because you’re too lazy to use your eyeballs.

the 5.1 issue is reduced output, Volume and bass, when paired with a sub and Trueplay enabled. Kinda been the main topic of conversation around here for over 2 months now…

What I do know if that this update has wrecked the gen 2 sub. I have two play 5 Gen. 2s and a sub and the bass is way better with the sub turned off!. The sound is now terrible. It’s basically as if the sub has been disabled. 
Edit to add….FIXED!

Problem resolved with a power cycle of all affected devices. System back to being great, possible sounds even better, but hard to be sure without side by side comparison. 

I think perhaps a few people might have been somewhat confused by some of the ‘terms’ mentioned here, but maybe this news media article and YT video will help to clarify things:

I think perhaps a few people might have been somewhat confused by some of the ‘terms’ mentioned here, but maybe this news media article and YT video will help to clarify things:

At this point, it doesn't matter what sonos says or what independent test results indicate. Some folks lives have apparently been ruined beyond repair by this "14.12 killed my system” issue.

What I do know is that this update has wrecked the gen 2 sub. I have two play 5 Gen. 2s and a sub and the bass is way better with the sub turned off!. The sound is now terrible. It’s basically as if the sub has been disabled. 

I assume others may go onto comment on that particular ‘bonded’ configuration @bockersjv, that’s if they’re seeing the same issue as you.

I’ve not seen others report it yet, as most recent posts seem concentrated on the fix to the audio quality issue that reduced Sub output for Arc, Beam, or Ray when paired with a Sub/Sub Mini whilst Trueplay was enabled, following the 14.12 update, but it’s still early days for the new 14.18 update, I guess.

What is this 5.1 issue?

I’m trying my hardest to be patient and understanding, but the answer to your question is literally in the image of this post. You clearly didn’t even bother to look at/read the entire post before commenting. Stop wasting other peoples time because you’re too lazy to use your eyeballs.

the 5.1 issue is reduced output, Volume and bass, when paired with a sub and Trueplay enabled. Kinda been the main topic of conversation around here for over 2 months now…

Well according to most and Peter Pee..it isn’t an issue. Go back under your rock..

At this point, it doesn't matter what sonos says or what independent test results indicate. Some folks lives have apparently been ruined beyond repair by this "14.12 killed my system” issue.

"Lives ruined beyond repair” …🤔? That’s also a ‘term’ I am unable to equate with, when it comes to a software issue with a Home speaker system, particularly considering everything else that is happening in the world these days.

What I do know if that this update has wrecked the gen 2 sub. I have two play 5 Gen. 2s and a sub and the bass is way better with the sub turned off!. The sound is now terrible. It’s basically as if the sub has been disabled. 

Is this with Trueplay off? Retuning with Trueplay after the update has fixed the issues for many folks, myself included. If you use the previous tuning, before the update, it won’t sound any better, but after doing a fresh tune, it sounds great again.

Is this with Trueplay off? Retuning with Trueplay after the update has fixed the issues for many folks, myself included. If you use the previous tuning, before the update, it won’t sound any better, but after doing a fresh tune, it sounds great again.

I think @bockersjv is talking about a different issue with the recent software update, if I’m not mistaken? It’s an issue he’s seeing with a stereo pair of Play:5 (gen2’s) bonded to a Sub. It appears having the ‘bonded’ Sub results in little, or no, Bass …and switching off the Sub restores the Bass.

Trueplay tuning apparently makes no difference to the issue he’s encountering.

It will be interesting to see if others with that same hardware setup report having a similar, or different, experience. I’ve not (yet) personally seen any similar reports.

My experience was with 5s and a sub for music playback.

However…….

After much experimentation and frustration I tried a power cycle of all the speakers in that room.

Normal service and sound is back again. 😎😎

So my advice to anyone not seeing improvements after 14.8, try a power cycle of all the speakers in that room. 

It is fixed!

We have had official statement its fixed and even Peter Pee has done tests to show its fixed.

I'm not to sure this issue has been fixed?

I've updated to 14.18, my app shows 14.18 in system info, but none of my speakers have done an update, and the sound profile is no different to the previous 14.16 software

Still lacking the base and volume issue, this is a 5.1 dual sub set up, can anyone advise?

I've updated to 14.18, my app shows 14.18 in system info, but none of my speakers have done an update, and the sound profile is no different to the previous 14.16 software

Still lacking the base and volume issue, this is a 5.1 dual sub set up, can anyone advise?

Have you simply updated the controller App and are still to update your speaker firmware, perhaps 🤔?

Have you simply updated the controller App and are still to update your speaker firmware, perhaps 🤔?

If you’ve not got auto update set, use Check in System/System updates/Check for updates. 

Yeah i have done that guys, when i check system updates it says im uptodate

But my speakers haven’t gone through the usual long updating process, that i thought they would do..?

Did your speakers go through the speaker update process with the 14.18 software update?

But my speakers haven’t gone through the usual long updating process, that i thought they would do..?

Did your speakers go through the speaker update process with the 14.18 software update?

My sonos app first had me update the actual app in the google play store, then when I went back to the sonos app, it prompted me to update the speakers.

Yes, but if you have auto-update enabled in the App, then in your case it ‘might’ not have been necessary as the speakers might have already updated… er.. automatically.