Request for a hardware remote control with physical buttons to control Sonos Speakers

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

Badge +20
With the iPort You can access favourites which you cannot do without an app or the Sonos device is out of reach. You can hold it in your hand (so no getting off the sofa or out of bed). So considerably quicker than using Android or iOS. Alexa will do what this does but voice is not an option (for me) late in the evening or the children's bedroom when they are asleep.

I still have a CR100 but its really past it now and doubt it will be supported much longer. The CR200 touch screen died so many times I gave up.

The Brilliant controller looks very nice but requires live & neutral at the switch which is not normally available in the UK, the said they are "thinking" about it and currently vapourware.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Can't see Sonos ever producing another hardware controller, it's just not worth it. You can pick up android tablets for less that £50 and buy wall mounts too, I have an Amazon Fire tablet for just this reason.

Also the current focus will be voice for quite some time.

However I still find I use my nuimo more. The mere fact that the battery lasts months, I can have it to hand on my armchair, and it is always on is the major plus point.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Can't see Sonos ever producing another hardware controller, it's just not worth it. You can pick up android tablets for less that £50 and buy wall mounts too, I have an Amazon Fire tablet for just this reason.

Also the current focus will be voice for quite some time.

I setup a FireHD6 recently primarily for Sonos but I still find the CR200 more convenient. It's always on in it's cradle, always charged. A Fire needs several clicks before getting to the app, needs to be plugged in to charge (I know of no cradle/dock for it). I guess you can wall-mount it with velcro but you'll need to charge it somehow.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I agree. But given the cost of producing/support etc I can see why they dropped their dedicated controller 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I also have the FireHD6 as my Sonos controller. It is a truly horrid device to use so it suits being a single use device quite well. I'm sure there is a way to hack it so that the Sonos app is always the start up screen, you can do that for pure android devices.
There is also the lutron pico remotes...
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I also have the FireHD6 as my Sonos controller. It is a truly horrid device to use so it suits being a single use device quite well. I'm sure there is a way to hack it so that the Sonos app is always the start up screen, you can do that for pure android devices.

You can't on Fire devices unfortunately, not pure Android. Best you can do is put it in kids mode and only allow the Sonos app. It's a shame as the HD6 is an ideal size for a controller
How about this project based on Android Things?
https://www.hackster.io/contests/Google/ideas/6869

I like the design of the round Bose soundtouch controller, someone can help me to do the design in a sonos compatible styling?
https://www.amazon.com/Bose-628456-0010-SoundTouch-Controller-Black/dp/B00FG3CRAC
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I don't know if I can help you, but I'll sure purchase one from you when you're done with it:)
I use a flic to controll my sonos remotly. Start/stopp and volum. For the moment i need a BT device to act as a hub, but that wont be a problem when the flic hub gets out.
Good news - The idea actually works 🆒
Disclaimer: it is a total hack created within some hours..

Tutorial how to build your own Sonos Remote Controller with Android Things:
http://hackster.io/projects/e94011/

Cool. But I suggest it may need a little polishing before you bring it in front of Shark Tank. 😉
Haha, good one ;-)
I was thinking something similar to this:

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Have you seen https://www.brilliant.tech ?
Great discussion. I love the Sonos environment, and I agree that the UX and lack of good controller options are the weak point in the system. Here are my observations/ wants to be able to control my Sonos.

Voice control is not a good option for me. I use my Sonos to play music for events that I put on. Speaking out loud to control volume and tracks is a non-starter for me. I need quick intuitive control. Even spending 10 seconds to turn music up/down impacts the flow of the event. I can imagine yoga teachers using Sonos would have similar needs.

I love volume knobs vs buttons, and especially versus touch screen sliders. They're fast, obvious and intuitive. I can find the volume knob with a quick glance or by feel and making small adjustments is easy.

The idea of a universal remote is a possibility, although I've not used one on any device that I like as much as dedicated controllers.
My CR100 is still mounted in my kitchen and still works like its brand new. It's been plugged in for years and I doubt the battery has any life left, but for using Sonos while cooking, it can't be beat. Tons of em on eBay.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
drmichi by brother, if you can make one that resembles this i will buy 5 from you right now!

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great discussion everyone! Sonos recently announced a certification for third-party products we call Works with Sonos. One of our first partners is iPort with a simple controller for Sonos.

We'll be working with more partners over time and are really excited to share the opportunities this will bring to everyone with Sonos. We can't wait to see what gets developed.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Great discussion everyone! Sonos recently announced a certification for third-party products we call Works with Sonos. One of our first partners is iPort with a simple controller for Sonos.

We'll be working with more partners over time and are really excited to share the opportunities this will bring to everyone with Sonos. We can't wait to see what gets developed.

https://iportproducts.com/xpress#xpress-intro

WTF, I hope your partners come up with better products than this
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Awesome news!
[

You’ve got one and you tried it? What’s wrong with it that warranted that review?
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
[

You’ve got one and you tried it? What’s wrong with it that warranted that review?

I'm sure it works fine but it's overpriced. If it was less than $20 then maybe, but $99 for a few buttons is ridiculous. It looks like the Phillips Hue remote.
[

I'm sure it works fine but it's overpriced. If it was less than $20 then maybe, but $99 for a few buttons is ridiculous. It looks like the Phillips Hue remote.

Perhaps you should have put 'cheaper products' not 'better products'. And with regard to price, no-one buying Sonos kit because it's the cheapest out there, they buy it because it's good kit. I'm sure $99 for a remote is fine with most people, as long as it works, every time, and is functional. Not everyone has to have cheap equipment.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
[

Perhaps you should have put 'cheaper products' not 'better products'. And with regard to price, no-one buying Sonos kit because it's the cheapest out there, they buy it because it's good kit. I'm sure $99 for a remote is fine with most people, as long as it works, every time, and is functional. Not everyone has to have cheap equipment.

Nah, I meant better. Indeed $99 is fine for a remote, just not that one
[

Nah, I meant better. Indeed $99 is fine for a remote, just not that one

Still baffled by your comments then, you haven't even used the product yet you think it should be better. That crystal ball of yours must be working overtime!