Request for a hardware remote control with physical buttons to control Sonos Speakers

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11
[
WTF, I hope your partners come up with better products than this

You’ve got one and you tried it? What’s wrong with it that warranted that review?

I'm sure it works fine but it's overpriced. If it was less than $20 then maybe, but $99 for a few buttons is ridiculous. It looks like the Phillips Hue remote.

Perhaps you should have put 'cheaper products' not 'better products'. And with regard to price, no-one buying Sonos kit because it's the cheapest out there, they buy it because it's good kit. I'm sure $99 for a remote is fine with most people, as long as it works, every time, and is functional. Not everyone has to have cheap equipment.

Nah, I meant better. Indeed $99 is fine for a remote, just not that one

Still baffled by your comments then, you haven't even used the product yet you think it should be better. That crystal ball of yours must be working overtime!

Well it's no wonder you're baffled 😞 I didn't say this product needs to be better! I said I hope Sonos' partners come up with better products than this.
But you have no knowledge of how good this product is, so why would any products need to be better? Why not just admit to trying to be smart without actually having any knowledge of what you were talking about.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
But you have no knowledge of how good this product is, so why would any products need to be better? Why not just admit to trying to be smart without actually having any knowledge of what you were talking about.

Not trying to be smart, just saying you can should be able to get better for $99. For that price you can get a cheap tablet with a screen and actually be able to control Sonos 100%, not just volume up/down,play/pause.

No need to be arrogant by the way, why exactly did you join this forum, just to reply to a 2-3 month old thread?

Not trying to be smart, just saying you can should be able to get better for $99. For that price you can get a cheap tablet with a screen and actually be able to control Sonos 100%, not just volume up/down,play/pause.

No need to be arrogant by the way, why exactly did you join this forum, just to reply to a 2-3 month old thread?

Again, about the price then.

No, I joined for other reasons. And I wasn't being arrogant. Arrogance would be trying to belittle a product I have no knowledge of. I was merely pointing out that it was more about price than whether products need to be better.
Markus 24, big thanks for this post. I am also requesting the same feature. I decided not to buy Sonos speaker for the moment. I spent lot of time to find wifi speaker with remote controller (to be used in kitchen). Remote controller with voice control, turn on/off is a must have for me. Simplicity is the key - always. Anyway - still searching for this type of product.
Thx.
Cool. But I suggest it may need a little polishing before you bring it in front of Shark Tank. ;)
Some time has passed, and we have started an open source project which runs on an actual micro controller. If you're curious you can already control your Sonos with the ESP8266 though a serial console. Touch gesture input detection, LED-Matrix output and a proper remote configuration App need to be written for Android and iOS.

The project is called soreco: Sonos Remote Controller.
This is a current concept picture, but since it's a private hobby project there doesn't exist a time schedule for it. We once had a discussion about starting a kickstarter campaign, but we're not sure if there is a market for it.
Our goal is to create a classy and solid remote made out of aluminium, production cost would be high and will end up in about 100$ for a small volume production):

I also wrote a small article about it on my LinkedIn profile:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/soreco-platform-open-source-sonos-remote-controller-michael-guntli/
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
That concept picture looks dangerously close to the Senic Nuimo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Just as a datapoint: I enabled Sonos to work with an IR remote control using a Raspberry Pi (although any computer would do), with an attached FLIRC USB IR receiver, running the open source Sonos HTTP API. Provides the usual playback controls, plus 0-9 used for immediate access to specific Sonos favourites. Any IR remote can be used.

(Doesn’t make economic sense to use a Pi just for this, but I had one running near the target CONNECT device anyway.)

If anyone is interested, I can document the setup process.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd love to have some setup guidance, I have several spare Pis sitting here and would like to give it a shot.
That concept picture looks dangerously close to the Senic Nuimo.
Which looks very similar as the B&O essence one ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'd love to have some setup guidance, I have several spare Pis sitting here and would like to give it a shot.
I have a couple of steps to complete to make this a robust solution for others. I'm working on those and will document it and provide the code when it's all done.

I must admit that I find it great to use. I just point my Harmony One remote at the receiver to switch it on and select the input to which the CONNECT is attached, then I just press '1' and Jazz24 comes to life (for example). When I switch things off, or select a new activity, the stream to the CONNECT is paused. Nice. My wife likes it, too.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
https://jonasrosland.com/control-sonos-with-amazon-dash-button/

this looks impressive - if you just want a single use button to do one thing! just imagine a wall of them...
at £4.99 each you could buy 10 for the cost of a fire tablet!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
That is interesting. Opens up some great opportunities.
I have a couple of steps to complete to make this a robust solution for others. I'm working on those and will document it and provide the code when it's all done.

I must admit that I find it great to use. I just point my Harmony One remote at the receiver to switch it on and select the input to which the CONNECT is attached, then I just press '1' and Jazz24 comes to life (for example). When I switch things off, or select a new activity, the stream to the CONNECT is paused. Nice. My wife likes it, too.

This sounds great, I too would be very interested in this!

Thank you... 🙂