Skip to main content

Apple Music song library won’t queue after playing either an album or playlist from Apple library...it simply adds song to the album played as the album is the current queue unless I clear it...then the new queue is limited to the song(s) selected, and not a queue fro the entire song library….help?...something simple I’m missing here?...I’m a new Sonos user...many thanks

In the Sonos Controller Mobile App, goto any album or playlist in the Apple Music service and press & hold the album until the context menu (as attached below) appears and select to ‘add to end of queue’ - is that what you are looking for ?

Thanks for the quick reply Ken...a bit more background...my apple music library is 21k+ songs and won’t queue from the entire library...it was doing so earlier but then I cancelled it earlier today to play an album...the album then became the new queue and when I went back to songs it no longer queues from the entire library, but adds each song as I select...I must be missing something here, but can’t figure out what….frustrating !...regards

I’m still not entirely sure of what you are describing…   are you trying to add all the 21k+ library tracks from the ‘Songs’ section of your uploaded iCloud based library to the one speaker queue using the songs ellipsis (...) menu option (top right) ? (See the three connected screenshots of the steps I think you maybe referring to). 

Is that what you are trying to do?

Or are you just trying to add a few Albums from the separate Albums list in the library? If neither, can you perhaps add a screenshot of where you are adding the songs from.

My understanding is that some music services within Sonos may limit their track playlists and I understand that as ratty mentions in the thread below, that there is also a 15 second window only that caters for the tracks being loaded to a speaker queue, so if the list is perhaps too large, or there are delays with the connection, it maybe a case that it’s timing out… but that usually gives the error message number 1002 when that happens, so I’m not sure if it’s applicable in this instance.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/maximum-tracks-in-queue-6838916#post16419997

thanks Ken ...was in the middle of cooking dinner….in step 3, would it be “add to end of queue” or “replace queue”?...to be candid, I failed to notice the top right corner and would typically start by selecting a song and hit play, while expecting a queue to form randomly , as is the case when using Apple Music...really appreciate your help

I have a similar sized uploaded Apple Music ‘matched’ library and it certainly won’t load all 21k+ tracks for me - it just times out… but you can maybe try creating a ‘set of playlists’ in iTunes or maybe the Apple Music App (perhaps) and see if those smaller lists will load and play. It’s not something I’ve really ever tried. 100 songs in a queue is around about my max-sized playlist.

This would be the time-out error you would ‘most likely’ see if the playlist is too large to load to a queue and play:

That said, I also have ALL my library tracks uploaded to YouTube Music and those have added to a speaker queue in a few seconds … see here:

So maybe there is something going on at the moment with the Apple iCloud servers.. er … perhaps?

ken…..“techno-peasant” here….appreciate the insights...perhaps we earlier fell victim to the 15 second limit mentioned by Ratty...in any event, we seem to have encountered a favourable 15 second window and the full library is now in the queue….thanks for your help and helping me through the frustration...that said, I find myself reluctant to play an album or playlist as it possibly will again cause an access limit to the balance of my library on Sonos as it deletes the queue….I may opt in the latter case to just revert to Apple Music on the iPad using our Bose soundlink...regards

That’s okay, glad to try to help anytime. 👍

Outstanding tune in your example, Ken. 😉 The whole album is exemplary, but takes second place in my heart to Trilogy.

Outstanding tune in your example, Ken. 😉 The whole album is exemplary, but takes second place in my heart to Trilogy.

Yes indeed, ELP - ‘Essential Listening Pleasure’ ha ha 😂

I grew up on Brain Salad Surgery and many of their other albums too, but never got to see them live (sadly).