ALARMS: Add a "Snooze" Feature! :)

• 3 November 2012
  • 54 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

54 replies

Good morning. Welcome to the first post in a series of Snoozlets. These posts will be about my adventures trying to quiet my Sonos system in the absence of a snooze function, and generally written immediately after I've had a difficult time trying to quiet my Sonos system during my bleary-eyed first few moments post-slumber.

This morning, my Sonos alarm functioned as expected (albeit earlier than I wanted, as the overall alarm interface really isn't that intuitive). I tried to reach for my phone to silence it, but knocked it to the floor. My foot became entangled in my sheet as I got up from bed to reach for my Sonos 3 and press the mute button, and I tripped. I was uninjured. I stood up and was able to silence my Sonos without further event. I am hopeful my overall day will be better.

Idea: Light up my phone along with my alarm, and have a snooze feature. Understand that when first waking up, I am an incoherent fool. I cannot navigate simple logic, nevertheless a series of menus to adjust my alarm, effecting the equivalent of a snooze.

I love my Sonos system. The complex technology of synchronizing the delivery of high fidelity audio across my house with ease. I am sincere when I share my love for this product. However, the lack of a snooze function allows me to fault you on a daily basis, and places you at the epicenter of responsibility for a difficult beginning to my day.

Sonos, add a snooze function.

Your problems are why I like my solution.  I have set 4 alarms: 8:00, 8:10, 8:20, and 8:30.  I set each to a slightly higher volume.  When one goes off, if I want to sleep a little bit longer I hit the MUTE button on Sonos.  No fussing with the phone.  The next alarm goes off just like a "Snooze" function on a regular alarm clock.
Good morning. Welcome to the first post in a series of Snoozlets. These posts will be about my adventures trying to quiet my Sonos system in the absence of a snooze function, and generally written immediately after I've had a difficult time trying to quiet my Sonos system during my bleary-eyed first few moments post-slumber.

This morning, my Sonos alarm functioned as expected (albeit earlier than I wanted, as the overall alarm interface really isn't that intuitive). I tried to reach for my phone to silence it, but knocked it to the floor. My foot became entangled in my sheet as I got up from bed to reach for my Sonos 3 and press the mute button, and I tripped. I was uninjured. I stood up and was able to silence my Sonos without further event. I am hopeful my overall day will be better.

Idea: Light up my phone along with my alarm, and have a snooze feature. Understand that when first waking up, I am an incoherent fool. I cannot navigate simple logic, nevertheless a series of menus to adjust my alarm, effecting the equivalent of a snooze.

I love my Sonos system. The complex technology of synchronizing the delivery of high fidelity audio across my house with ease. I am sincere when I share my love for this product. However, the lack of a snooze function allows me to fault you on a daily basis, and places you at the epicenter of responsibility for a difficult beginning to my day.

Sonos, add a snooze function.

This works great if the Sonos is at your bedside, but if not? I agree that this is a workaround (and a good one), but this isn't a solution.

Sonos?
Going to add another vote for the snooze button. It is the only reason I still use my Sonos CR standalone controller. I keep dreading a software update that will stop my CR from working & I loose my precious Snooze. I can see some design challenges on a phone (assuming you want to use notifications for a phone that is locked up at the bed side - but there is a solution somewhere). At the very least a similar Snooze touchable area for the Group Playing the alarm at the top (like the CR).

Please please add this to the phone controller at least.
Userlevel 1
+1. I think this is a pretty essential feature.
+1 on this!
seriously? sonos, where are you?
My guess is that they are very busy with the core functions that they have been enhancing.  Sonos is a leader in this area, but the competition is growing fast.  I would love to see the enhanced alarm features we have been talking about, but I REALLY want to see Sonos stay on top.

I have found that my work around is pretty good with some drawbacks.  I set several alarms 10 minutes apart, with escalating volumes.  Then I can use the mute button as a snooze button.  The major problem with this is if there is someone else sleeping who doesn't need to get up yet - but then using a snooze feature in that case is inconsiderate.

I now have 4 Sonos players and LOVE them all.  However, it is very frustrating that I cannot use the alarm feature because in order to silence the alarm I must get out of bed and hit the control on the player itself.  Please add a "snooze" and "alarm off" button on the phone app.
With the introduction of Widgets in iOS 8, it should be possible to implement a pull-down snooze button for the iPhone, that's accessible even when the phone's locked. This would be the perfect solution, but I don't think Sonos is listening.
With the introduction of Widgets in iOS 8, it should be possible to implement a pull-down snooze button for the iPhone, that's accessible even when the phone's locked. This would be the perfect solution, but I don't think Sonos is listening.
Fair enough, but that's only useful if your Sonos device is on your bedside table. Of course, Sonos could easily implement both solutions, but the Widget would be more useful, generally speaking (since it could have transport/volume controls, as well as a snooze button), and for more Sonos users.
Sonos, you have to add snooze. This is stopping me buying another Play One for the bedroom. Add both a physical snooze via one of the buttons and function in the iPhone / Android app using a button, shaking the phone or turning it over.
Having a snooze function in the mobile device app would be great. I don't have my Sonos on my bedstand, but do have my tablet, which I now use to pause Sonos. I have an alarm set for 10 minutes later - almost gives me a snooze function. Please add.
Userlevel 1
I've just bought my first Sonos (a Play:3) and was considering replacing my old alarm clock with a Play:1 but if there is no snooze function then it's not going to ba a very good alarm! Please add this feature, I can't believe people have been asking for this for 3 years without a response.
just seen this on the page for the Sonos Connect. (http://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shop/connect)

"Front-panel play/pause controls
Set the alarm and wake up to your favourite music or Internet radio station in one room, or all over the house. Just hit snooze to get a few minutes more sleep. Fall asleep to soothing music with the sleep timer."

It implies there is a physical snooze button on the connect, can someone tell me how this works? This comment does not appear on the pages for any sonos speaker, only the connect, which seems odd, but maybe the same control can be used?
For anyone who's interested... The Sonos actually does have an embedded snooze function - it was available on the CR100 and CR200 controllers, but doesn't appear to be in the Android or iOS apps.

I built my own snooze button using a Raspberry Pi and some Python code using the Soco library. Now I've got a hardwired button sitting next to my bed that makes the Sonos alarm snooze for 10 minutes. I've been using it for 5 months now and it works great! My Sonos Play 3 is finally usable for an alarm!

If anyone's interested I'll post the code. It could still use some improvements in robustness.
Perhaps this will do the job for snoozing your alarm on Sonos.
https://flic.io/

All the best 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Perhaps this will do the job for snoozing your alarm on Sonos.
https://flic.io/

All the best :-)

I have not seen those before. They look very cool. Just ordered a 4 pack to try out. Thanks for the tip!
KenS,

Let me know if it works as a snooze button on our Sonos.
Sonos if it works let the world know please :-)

Regards,

Ger form Holland
Badge +1
Hey,

Because I had the same feeling about the sonos alarms missing a snooze feature,
I have created an iOS iPhone/iPad app that can snooze your sonos alarms.

You can find it here: https://appsto.re/be/Xul7db.i
Screenshots can be found on the website: http://www.quicksonos.be/snooze/

Let me know what you think of it
Tagrusendorf, if you're still monitoring this thread, I'm very interested in your solution. I'd like to setup a physical switch using a pi zero. Can you provide your code?
+1
Quelque chose d’aussi basique se doit d’etre implémenté...
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We just adding Snooze to the Alarm feature. Take a look here for details.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Sweet! That only took FIVE YEARS! 😛
Now that you have hung all the people out to dry who made Sonos what it is by being early adopters and killing the cr100, please do the absolute minimum to make it usable as an alarm clock and add a snooze to the radio alarm.
Thanks
Now that you have hung all the people out to dry who made Sonos what it is by being early adopters and killing the cr100, please do the absolute minimum to make it usable as an alarm clock and add a snooze to the radio alarm.
Thanks

Someone needs to read the posts right above. Snooze was released 5 months ago, but don't let that stop you from polluting more threads with yet another off-topic CR100 rant.